Main Menu

Starlord (UK, 1978)

Started by Tjm86, 29 October, 2015, 04:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

I've gone back to these again after a long while.  I still have fond memories of picking up issue 2 in Watford way back in the day.  In fact it rivalled tooth to such an extent that I switched to Starlord for a while, particularly following the irregularities that resulted from the strikes of the time.  It was only with the merger that I came back to the fold. Looking again after all these years it is amazing how well it has weathered.  Granted some of the tales have not weathered as well as the others but overall the quality is impressive, particularly when you consider the talent lined up.  Redondo, Ian Kennedy, Ezquerra, Gibbons, Grover ...

I've always felt that Ezquerra did his best work on the early Strontium Dog's.  His particular talent for the bizarre in these tales was probably best equalled by the Hell's dominion storyline circa issue 100 of tooth.  The tales themselves are remarkably well written for a strip in it's infancy.  The other rival for star had to be Mind Wars with Redondo turning out some outstanding work.  The intricacy of the artwork is outstanding.

Some of the early Robusters leave a bit to be desired at times and show the influence of the age, a sort of cross between Thunderbirds and the Disaster Movie tropes of the times.  Artwork by Kennedy and Gibbons goes a long way to make up for the weakness in the writing at times.  The other weaker strips that came and went, TimeQuake, Holocaust, Planet of the Damned all read well.

Dandontdare

I'm still ready to take to my skateboard when the invasion comes!

ZenArcade

Lol DDD. One of the lads over in Enniskillen bought on e-bay and we had a delightful reminiscence about this 22 issue treasure. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Clarkie1971

Who owns the rights to Starlord? Think a nice collection of all the issues would be great. I have only got to read the reprint material in Robusters and Strontium Dog collections.

ZenArcade

Hawkmumbler

I believe a collection of Time Quake is on the way. I could be talking bollocks again though...

ZenArcade

Someone talking bollocks on this forum.....Richmond!!!! Z