Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: repoman on 28 October, 2021, 12:02:32 PM
Pictsy, one of the Hellraiser films was on Netflix a few years back.  It was about a cop.  Pinhead and the rest were barely in it.

Hilariously, the blurb on it said something like 'starring the smouldering Dean Winters.'

Amazon description:
Quote from: amazonA smoldering Dean Winters plays a man who survives a car accident in which his wife was apparently killed; because of a head injury, his memory is mixed up

pictsy

Quote from: repoman on 28 October, 2021, 12:02:32 PM
Pictsy, one of the Hellraiser films was on Netflix a few years back.  It was about a cop.  Pinhead and the rest were barely in it.

Hilariously, the blurb on it said something like 'starring the smouldering Dean Winters.'

Does Dean Winters smoulder?  I thought he looked like Michael Madsen's younger brother or something.  Does Michael Madsen smoulder? 

The one with Dean Winters is Hellseeker, the one I just watched.  The one about the cop is Inferno.  Sorry about the nit-picking. 

I didn't mention that the cop character played by William S. Taylor in Hellseeker was an absolute delight.  He stole all his scenes... except the scene with the really terrible CGI. 

milstar

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 28 October, 2021, 09:25:17 AM
Halloween III is superb. By far and away my favourite entry in the series, though then again, my second favourite entry if Rob Zombies Halloween II so once again my taste is at best suspect.

Why I am not surprised that Hawkmumbler calls HIII favorite film in the series?
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Dandontdare

Heh, I was wondering how many pages of horror marathons it would take to draw SBT out from his crypt.

One of my call-centre colleagues wrote the licensed Halloween comics for some big anniversary or reissue. I'm no fan of slasher-horror (Halloween III is the only one I like cos it's weird and creepy), but get him on the subject and he'll talk for ever.

repoman

Quote from: pictsy on 28 October, 2021, 02:34:54 PM

The one with Dean Winters is Hellseeker, the one I just watched.  The one about the cop is Inferno.  Sorry about the nit-picking.   

No worries.  I found it quite forgettable, so I'm sure to be fuzzy on details.

It did that thing where someone is basically reliving a bad day and that's hell.  It's how they did hell in Angel (the Buffy spin-off thing) and more recently Lucifer (one of the worst shows of all time).

That does have a degree of creepiness to it I guess.

pictsy

Hellraiser: Deader

What a terrible title.  Deader?  WTF is that?  Oh, it's a major thing in the film, too.  Dumb.
This is another Hellraiser wants to bring you a mind-fuck.  Only it's not quite as coherent as the other times the franchise did it.

One thing I noticed right at the beginning was a production company with Stan Winston's name on it.  And sure, the practical effects in this film are good.  What a shame all that hard work is overshadowed by the appalling bad CGI.  Big, chunky chains too... for reasons.

The story is dumb (go figure).  At least they tried to weave into the narrative a reason why they are filming in Romania on the cheap.  This film taught me Romania is full to the brim with English people.  Including Marc Warren.  It was fun seeing him in this film.

Still, it's better than Bloodlines.

Quote from: repoman on 29 October, 2021, 09:48:03 AM
It did that thing where someone is basically reliving a bad day and that's hell.  It's how they did hell in Angel (the Buffy spin-off thing) and more recently Lucifer (one of the worst shows of all time).

That does have a degree of creepiness to it I guess.

I think this is why it would be very easy to mix Inferno and Hellseeker together as they both do this. 

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: milstar on 28 October, 2021, 08:20:23 PM
Why I am not surprised that Hawkmumbler calls HIII favorite film in the series?

My big galaxy brain stupefies even myself sometimes.

On a Carpenter tangent:

IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS

Getting to see this on 35mm last night was a truly stupendous experience, its criminal this hasn't received a home video release in the UK past VHS as its by far one of Carpenters best. Creepy, ephemeral horror that peels away at the fabric of our understanding, a rare instance of meta narrative working, and an opportunity for Carpenter to poke fun at Stephen King (always down to roast King) wrapped up in some fantastic set design and some hysterically dour lines from Neill just make the whole thing pop.

And fuck the naysayers, I like the rubber monsters.

pictsy

Hellraiser: Hellworld

I probably should have watched In The Mouth of Madness.  That's a good film.

I knew Hellworld was bad but I wasn't prepared for how bad.  Probably worse than Bloodlines.  It's idiotic nonsense.  But I'm finally done with Hellraiser.  I'm so happy I decided I wasn't going to watch the last two anyway, because from what I've read and heard about the films, the are the worst. 

All in all it wasn't as bad an experience as I was expecting.  It's not great, but considering four of these films are DtV and three of those aren't even the worst entries (that I watched), I'd say that's pretty good going.  I wouldn't recommend anyone follow in my footsteps and marathon this franchise, but I think it was a better experience than doing the Friday franchise.  I guess the lesson I've really learnt is I'm an Elm Street girl.

Two more days of my marathon and I have absolutely no idea how to finish the month off.

repoman

I watched VHS Viral.  It was awful.

VHS94 next though.  It's meant to be pretty good.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: repoman on 30 October, 2021, 08:35:57 AM

Praise Raatma.

Yeah this is a good one.

milstar

Kevin Costner's Robin Hood

This high camp, pop retelling of Robin Hood is appropriate for the modern era than the 12th century. But it's not why (mostly) I disliked the film. The amount of money it earned in 1991 is unbelievable. This Robin Hood is dark, grim, joyless, and surprisingly violent (definitely not an adventure film for kids). Yet, rife with trite humorous one-liners that sadly, either exist in wrong places and are not funny at all. I got the feeling I am watching non-intentional self-parody. In addition, Kevin Costner gives one of the worst performances of his career. Going from happy-go and jovial to unconvincingly stern but stilted, his Robin Hood is simply bonkers. And the less said about his accent, the better. Contrivances of the terrible script also do not do justice to Alan Rickman, arguably the highest mark here. Alan channels his Hans Gruber without losing his iconic charm.

Morgan Freeman thespian skills as sturdy, sober Robin's sidekick leaves Kevin in the dust. But he really shouldn't be in the film. His presence gives rather a contemporary feel and not the 12the century England and whose part serves as an excuse to address current religious and racial themes. In addition, the lame script makes his part useless for at least the first half of the film, from which on he is ushered through "magical negro stereotype."

Without going fully rough on the film, I'll say that locations are splendid, while the music score is fittingly epic; having vibes very similar to Highlander.
As such, stylistically, Robin Hood, with the abundance of wide angle close-ups feels more like a Terry Gilliam film, who probably would know what to do with the material, hitting all the right notes. 
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

repoman

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 30 October, 2021, 10:56:24 AM
Quote from: repoman on 30 October, 2021, 08:35:57 AM

Praise Raatma.

Yeah this is a good one.

It was.  Really enjoyed it.  Still a bit variable in quality as you'd expect but higher highs and more tolerable lows compared to the last one.

pictsy

The Babadook

This is definitely as good as I heard.  This one doesn't pull it's punches.  A really interesting take on supernatural horror that's all metaphorical as well.  But it's such an uncomfortable film to watch.  Not because of the Babadook (which was great in evoking childhood fears), but because of what happens with the family.  It really is extremely harsh and I'm unsure whether I can accept the ending as a satisfactory resolution.  I like the ending, it's nice, but things happened that can't be resolved so easily... mainly if we are looking at the film from the metaphor angle.  It's not a great big issue and I don't mind a horror film leaving me with uncomfortable feelings.

I decided to watch The Mist (2007) to finish off my marathon.

repoman

Quote from: pictsy on 31 October, 2021, 08:49:27 AM
The Babadook

I didn't like that one much.  The kid was super annoying (deliberately but still hard to watch) and the Babadook thing reminded me of Papa Lazaru and that made it less scary.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: repoman on 31 October, 2021, 09:25:19 AM
Quote from: pictsy on 31 October, 2021, 08:49:27 AM
The Babadook
I didn't like that one much.  The kid was super annoying (deliberately but still hard to watch) and the Babadook thing reminded me of Papa Lazaru and that made it less scary.

Yep. Having 'Mum!' shouted at me in an Australian accent for an hour is indeed horrific, but not for the right reasons.
@jamesfeistdraws