Main Menu

Prog 2194 - Smokin’ Bacon!

Started by Magnetica, 08 August, 2020, 06:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

First time I have read the Prog on a Saturday in a long time, and what a good one it is.

Dredd moves into an interesting new phase in End of Days.

Full Tilt Boogie wraps up leaving me wanting more, which is not something I would have thought ten weeks ago.

SinDex is back and sets ups the next chapter of Bulletopia nicely. And there is an intriguing exchange between Finny and Carrie, which I hope we see continued.

Just as a think I am understanding The Order, a character is mentioned who I have no idea who they are referring to it. Which is par for the course. But I am enjoying it and am even contemplating a complete re-read - especially if Tordels continues with his guide.

All of which pales compared to The Out, which has a major "you what?" moment. Just top stuff. Another Abnett instant classic. He is really spoiling us this year. Let's hope he gets well soon.

NapalmKev

Dredd - End Of Days just keeps getting better with each episode. I would say though that I thought Dredd could understand Sov, as demonstrated way back in A Clockwork Pineapple if memory serves. He could of course be pretending he doesn't understand. Anyway, I can't wait to see how this ends!

The Order and The Out continue in the vein of excellence that they both rightly enjoy. This is comics of the highest order.

Cheers

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Richard

The Out is the highlight this week. I now have no idea where this story is going, but that's quite a turn!

Full Tilt Boogie ends, and hopefully Tharg will commission a sequel. This is good stuff.

Dredd features the return of a character last seen 38 years ago, for all you continuity nerds.

Colin YNWA

Well that was quite the cover. Bloomin' brilliant.

Under it lies a Prog and a half. A real stonker.

Dredd. Rob Williams shows there's two ways to bring back an old character the LOOK I HAVE ALL THE TOYS way and the way he does it here. In an organic way, that works with the story and makes you wonder why this character hasn't been returned to before. Fantastic episode in which Dredd is handled superbly and the thread feels real and significent. This story really is beginning to become something really good.

Full Tilt Boogie sticks its landing. As doors are all satisfyingly closed, while being left quietly open for the hoped for return. We get a fantastic turn of events and it all just works. Want this one back.

Sinister Dexter picks up Bulletopia. I hope this one is allowed to run smooth. Though Dabnett show once again that he is a master of recapping events in a way that doesn't intrude in the telling of the tale. The episode sets out and wonderfully sets up. Yeowell is magnificent as ever and I can't wait to see where this goes.

The Order again a blinding episode as escapes are made, but this just thrusts us into new creepier danger. This is just relentless, breathless fun.

But Tharg leaves the best til last The Out might not be the story I was expecting, but then it never was and I never knew what to expect. What I've got is something fresh, compelling and with developments that thunder along. In just 8 episodes so much has happened to a character that I never knew, but now care so much about. I miss a panda I bearly got to know and genuinely on edge as to what will happen next.

It will be fascinating to see where each of these is left next Prog (well except FTB which has finished) to make way for the All Ages. Again I suspect the timing will be unfortunate as the remaining stories all feel like they are getting going really well, or well on the way to finishing, but not necessarily there yet.

We'll see.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

73north

First time I have read the Prog on a Saturday in a long time, and what a good one it is.

Lucky for some - no Prog still and its Monday
last week it took till Wednesday to finally arrive  :(

JimmyNailz

Just finished a bedtime prog read and now regret it... the thrillpower overload is sure to mean I won't get a wink of sleep. Another cracking prog, and The Out made me do several gasps. SEVERAL!

JimmyNailz

Dredd - Another brilliant installment. With all the nods to Dredd history, I really won't mind if this is "all a dream" or something similar. I'm really enjoying the journey.
I worry about [spoiler]Giant[/spoiler]. [spoiler]Could his lack of "strategic use" foreshadow his demise? [/spoiler]

FTB - I've loved this series and hope this isn't The End. Love the characters, the humour, the action and the act. Go Cat!🐱

Sinister Dexter - I haven't been a massive fan of Sin/Dex in the past, but the way the last few series have built to this one has me totally engaged. Big threat. Long journey ahead. Reality in question. Lets go!

The Order - continued on directly from last weeks thrilling episode and was once again a fast paced thrill ride.

The Out - just brilliant once again. Best thing in a really strong prog. [spoiler]I hope readers aren't too disappointed about not getting a Tankinar reveal.[/spoiler]

Magnetica

Quote from: JimmyNailz on 11 August, 2020, 11:23:16 AM
The Out - just brilliant once again. Best thing in a really strong prog. [spoiler]I hope readers aren't too disappointed about not getting a Tankinar reveal.[/spoiler]

No not [spoiler]disappointed about that at all. It turns out they really weren't the story and the story has gone off in a completely different, unexpected direction. I'll take that.[/spoiler]

73north

Finally the Prog arrived today , so got to read it at 7pm after work and its a great Prog

Dredd continues with an unexpected twist - I can say I am really enjoying this story .

Full Tilt Boogie sadly ends for now , and all I can say its PLEASE THARG !! I want another series -
Commission more stories from this fine lady writer

Sinister Dexter has finally returned - and its very enjoyable for the next chapter of Bulletopia .

The Order - its just so - so - for me , and yet it seems to survive yet again for another day
( my least favourite in the Prog )

The Out, - just WOW and WOW
good wishes to Dan Abnett - hope you have a speedy recovery and it was done by laparoscopy
( from an ODP in an Operating Theatre ) - kind regards

broodblik

I very enjoyable prog yet again. A high-five prog

Dredd – The story is now really getting going. The soviets are still on this one-track minded mission of destroying MC-1. We can witness it on the last page as another twist is added to the tale. I am sure that for some reason Dredd might be Death (as it has already been speculated on this forum)

Full Tilt Boogie – The series comes to a satisfactory conclusion but hopefully we can get more of this. It is different story too the series we experience in AD, but it has been a nice new addition.  Great story, great art.

Sin/Dex – The Bulletopia storyline continues with a more talkative story and is basically a recap and a setup for the next arc.  My main criticism here is not the story and has more to do with timing where I would prefer that we get one continuous run rather than a break-up of smaller parts of the bigger story.  Yeowell art is great as always.

The Order – The story continues its wild ride ending with a bang and how are we going to end this run with so much still in the open.

The Out – Wow, just wow. What a wonderful story beautifully written and with some sublime art from Harrison. I did not see this coming and we now venture into something complete different. With any action we have seen the story changing direction.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

hippynumber1

Richard

Well heaven forbid that somebody compliment her!

Seriously, yes we are still "here." How many women have written for 2000AD ever? It's only a couple of years since the all-women special. Women comics writers are still as rare as hen's teeth. But let's all pretend that that's no longer the case and be gender-blind, because that always works doesn't it?