Main Menu

Thought Police: Are we allowed to query 'woke'?

Started by Tjm86, 24 September, 2020, 08:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

How many woke people does it take to change a light bulb?

THAT'S NOT BLOODY FUNNY, ASSH0LE!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 March, 2023, 12:35:33 PMHow many woke people does it take to change a light bulb?

THAT'S NOT BLOODY FUNNY, ASSH0LE!

I find that joke problematic
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Quote from: The Corinthian on 26 March, 2023, 08:00:26 PM
Quote from: nxylas on 26 March, 2023, 09:02:31 AMKind of like JK Rowling using the name Robert Galbraith to distinguish her transphobic detective stories from her racist YA fantasy.

Once again I'm going to be that guy and point out that publicly opposing a misogynist cult whose goals include giving male sex offenders unfettered access to women's prisons and girls' changing rooms doesn't make one "transphobic". And the attempts to find examples of racism in the works of an author who dared to speak out against an atrociously antisemitic politician (who has since been kicked out of his former party in disgrace) is a really embarrassing case of sour grapes.

I'd place JK Rowling carefully to one side for a moment (except to say that I have not heard nor seen evidence that she is a racist now, Father).

Labeling all trans folk (and are you talking about transexuality or transgenderism - because, while sometimes entwined, they can be entirely different kettles of fish) as a cult of sexual deviants is ... well ... it's bigoted, isn't it?

Like, I know someone who is gender neutral. They're not confused about their genitals. They're not claiming to have a different sex to that they're born with. They're not even sexual. They are entirely peace-loving. They love the Harry Potter books. They abhor violence. They don't fully understand even the concept of sexual violence. Even if they did, I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams that they would ever be part of a movement that would wish that kind of violence on another person.

We should be able to agree that Rowling is neither a demon nor an angel, surely? And then that there isn't a cult of trans people who are planning a campaign of sexual deviancy against approximately half the population of the planet.

We're in a weird place if we think of Rowling as a victim in terms of "cancel culture" or "wokeism", or whatever the most recent culture war tag is. She has not been de-platformed. She enjoys continued mainstream media column inches. She has had an entire docu-series podcast dedicated to her defense. She is, one might argue, panicking about toilets, and (perhaps inadvertently) demonizing an already marginalized group who face an uphill struggle against a lot of targeted hate.

And all just for being themselves. For trying to figure out where they fit in the world. Like anyone else wants to. (And just like everyone else, some of them will be criminals, yes.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tjm86

I've got a major problem right now.  My computer has just decided that it is 'non-binary'!  :o

The Legendary Shark

Maybe it thinks LGBTQIA means Logically Grounded Beta Tested Quantum Input Algorithm?

(I wonder why "S" isn't included in this sexual orientation or gender identity abbreviation?)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 01 April, 2023, 08:03:57 PM(I wonder why "S" isn't included in this sexual orientation or gender identity abbreviation?)

Curious what you mean by this, Sharky.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 01 April, 2023, 10:51:46 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 01 April, 2023, 08:03:57 PM(I wonder why "S" isn't included in this sexual orientation or gender identity abbreviation?)

Curious what you mean by this, Sharky.

My guess would be S for Sharkosexual
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 02 April, 2023, 01:25:22 AMMy guess would be S for Sharkosexual

Indeed so - they comprise a vanishingly small section of society but, fortunately, there are a few. Now, if only I could find one...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 02 April, 2023, 07:18:36 AM
Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 02 April, 2023, 01:25:22 AMMy guess would be S for Sharkosexual

Indeed so - they comprise a vanishingly small section of society but, fortunately, there are a few. Now, if only I could find one...

They're probably too embarrassed to be open about their utter deviance. This is why the pride movement is so important.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Florida teacher Jenna Barbee says she faces investigation for playing Disney movie

So, not only are you allowed to "query woke", you are allowed to pass legislation which aims to criminalize the very existence of gay people. We see it start in schools, by making it illegal to portray gay characters, or to explain what homosexuality is. It's okay to have hetero people. No problem there.

Anti-woke is a cover-term for (in this instance) weaponized prejudice against gay people.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

American right:  'Free speech! Free speech! Down with cancel culture!'
Teacher: 'Gay people exist.'
American right: 'Cancel her!'
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"