Main Menu

Strontium Dog Fan Film

Started by Steve Green, 19 September, 2014, 03:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Quote from: sauchie tower on 03 November, 2014, 10:15:05 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 03 November, 2014, 09:28:18 PM
I still own the SD beanie, but no longer wear it. I was sick of telling my kids 'No, it doesn't stand for Scooby Doo.'

ARF! I've always wondered whether the similarity was a result of Carlos unconsciously absorbing seventies telly or whether being asked to create a badge for a strip with the word dog in its name brought out some sly humour in him.

I'm sure I read something suggesting a couple of other pointers, like Alpha's sidekick being a great Dane.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Steve Green

Does that make Feral Scrappy Doo?

Spaceghost

As a bairn, I always thought his helmet was supposed to look like a dog's face, complete with snout and black nose. Now it just looks like a helmet.

Is that a really obvious observation, or was I the only one?
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Spaceghost on 04 November, 2014, 03:40:00 PM
As a bairn, I always thought his helmet was supposed to look like a dog's face, complete with snout and black nose. Now it just looks like a helmet.

Is that a really obvious observation, or was I the only one?

First time I saw the character I thought his helmet was clearly supposed to resemble a dog. Nobody else ever mentions it, though, so I'm no longer quite so sure...
@jamesfeistdraws

Frank

Quote from: Dash Decent on 04 November, 2014, 10:26:16 AM
I'm sure I read something suggesting a couple of other pointers, like Alpha's sidekick being a great Dane.

Oof. Regarding the helmet, I suppose the pointy bit does look a little like a snout in profile, but it hadn't occurred to me before. Carlos says the reason the original version of Alpha's green skin-tights featured yellow stripes was to suggest the markings of a wasp ... I'm not sure why.

How weird is it that there's a show called Dog The Bounty Hunter? That's ruined the most likely subtitle of the Strontium Dog film that will almost certainly never be made anyway.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sauchie tower on 04 November, 2014, 05:31:02 PM
Oof. Regarding the helmet, I suppose the pointy bit does look a little like a snout in profile...

It's not just that - there's even a little nose* on the end of it!!

*I know, I know, it's a 'camera.'
@jamesfeistdraws

Steve Green

Having become intimately familiar with Johnny's helmet... yes, yes...

It's changed a bit since the Starlord days - the big eyes were smaller, joined the yellow trim and there was a third one in the middle where the crest sits.

I can certainly see why Carlos references a wasp, there are insect motifs in the stripey jersey, the exoskeleton like armour and the general shape of the helmet.

But I can also see where people see a dog's head.

It will be interesting to see what the response to our take on it is - it's pretty close to the TV pilot version, and tried it keep it snug and sleek as we can while still keeping it recognisably Strontium Dog.

Steve Green

Quote from: sauchie tower on 04 November, 2014, 05:31:02 PM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 04 November, 2014, 10:26:16 AM

Oof. Regarding the helmet, I suppose the pointy bit does look a little like a snout in profile, but it hadn't occurred to me before. Carlos says the reason the original version of Alpha's green skin-tights featured yellow stripes was to suggest the markings of a wasp ... I'm not sure why.

How weird is it that there's a show called Dog The Bounty Hunter? That's ruined the most likely subtitle of the Strontium Dog film that will almost certainly never be made anyway.

Yeah, looks like you're stuck with us for your Stront fix.

Edgar Wright tweeted that he tried to get the rights for Stront before Shaun of the Dead, and I was told that Ben Wheatley is a Stront fan.

shaolin_monkey

Hang on, there was a TV PILOT?!?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 04 November, 2014, 10:01:56 PM

In 1999 there was a proposal drawn up that included a TV series bible by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra. It never got made but the material was re-used for the Strontium Dog reboot - The Kreeler Conspiracy.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 04 November, 2014, 10:13:04 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 04 November, 2014, 10:01:56 PM

In 1999 there was a proposal drawn up that included a TV series bible by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra. It never got made but the material was re-used for the Strontium Dog reboot - The Kreeler Conspiracy.

Carlos's designs for that aborted TV pilot (the Stallone codpiece obviously made an impact):

Steve Green

Yeah, the codpiece is one thing we're not having in ours...

Beeks

Some guy made an Alpha helmet no?

Seem to remember seeing it on google images

Looked a bit too oversized though IMO

Would be nice if you got the helmet to look more realistic/practical
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Steve Green

It's smaller than the termight one.

Really it's pretty close to the scale of this - the nose piece is a bit slimmer.