Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2020

Started by Dash Decent, 27 June, 2019, 01:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PsychoGoatee

Lots of cool stuff! "John Wagner and Colin MacNeil reunite" from the last page, that is always very very nice to read.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

We all should by now know that Slaine will be returning to the prog in prog 2200. I always wondered why it has been so long for its return and I found this on one of Pat Mills Space Warp blogs:

Lots of chopping and changing is possible when a mainstream comic is creator-owned. But if you sell all rights, how many artists can afford to say, 'I want to revise what I've already done and take a week or two doing a new version. For no money.'

It happens very rarely. Artists and writers simply can't afford to go through self-imposed revisions when we sell all rights to our work and only receive a ludicrously small royalty for our efforts – if we're lucky.

Surprisingly, though, it happened recently on Sláine – with the brilliant Leo Manco who upended and revised his work several times which will be greatly to the benefit of 2000AD when it appears maybe the end of this year, and, of course, Rebellion. His Sláine work was already 8/10 the first time. Now it's 12/10. Believe me, his changes took him WEEKS! Seriously! And he made them for FREE!

I guess he did other work elsewhere to subsidise his Slaine work. That's why it's taking him so long. It's something artists and writers sometimes do if they love a story that much and Leo clearly loves Slaine.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sheridan

Quote from: broodblik on 04 August, 2020, 12:38:05 PM
We all should by now know that Slaine will be returning to the prog in prog 2200. I always wondered why it has been so long for its return and I found this on one of Pat Mills Space Warp blogs:
Quote from: PatMills
Lots of chopping and changing is possible when a mainstream comic is creator-owned.

Chopping and warp-spasming, surely, when it comes to Sláine?

Rately

Quote from: sheridan on 04 August, 2020, 12:41:49 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 04 August, 2020, 12:38:05 PM
Quote from: PatMills
Lots of chopping and changing is possible when a mainstream comic is creator-owned.

Chopping and warp-spasming, surely, when it comes to Sláine?

Ha!

Really looking forward to seeing what Pat and Leonard have come up with!

IndigoPrime

Here's hoping, given all that effort, the script is up to snuff, and isn't just Sláine arguing in ALL-CAPs with some Elder God or other.

broodblik

This round he is going for lower-case and smaller fonts

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

broodblik

broodblik

Link Prime

Quote from: broodblik on 18 August, 2020, 02:53:46 PM
A preview of the upcoming Misty & Scream Special:

https://downthetubes.net/?p=120737

The previous Scream & Misty / Misty & Scream specials were ok, but failed to capture even 5% of the atmosphere of their original publications.
Looks like more of the same for 2020, and based on those preview pages I regret pre-ordering it.

broodblik

If you look at the original Scream stories it was definitely more gritty and dark and I think the target audience for the specials are different.

Link Prime

Quote from: broodblik on 18 August, 2020, 04:01:17 PM
If you look at the original Scream stories it was definitely more gritty and dark and I think the target audience for the specials are different.

A measured train of thought as always Broodblik.

My LCS were kind enough to let me cancel the pre-order, so no harm done anyway.

broodblik

IndigoPrime

24 December baffles me. I'd have bought this for mini-IP to unwrap and devour on Christmas Day. She's the target get group for this. Now? I mean, it _might_ get bought later in the year, but that's far from a certainty.