Main Menu

Prog 2130 - 2000ad Regened

Started by Colin YNWA, 04 May, 2019, 09:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

It must be difficult being Tharg. No matter what he does, someone always finds fault with it.

Magnetica

Quote from: sheridan on 12 May, 2019, 05:32:05 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 12 May, 2019, 08:29:58 AM
Quote from: Leigh S on 11 May, 2019, 07:25:27 PM
Woudl the progs that were all Dredd/Sin Dex/Slane count as specials 'foisted' on us? At least this had enough variation to find something to like if you werent a fan of one of the above

Was thinking that very thing meself. Also: all the Christmas progs, and the dreaded Sex prog, it's not like Tharg hasn't played about with the format within the regular weekly slot before this. I understand people's objections, but I don't share them.it was a fun high quality experiment, for one week

Yep - I can't understanding the complaint about this being a 'special' in the regular prog when we've had about twenty-something similar departures from the norm in the last twenty five years.

I don't get the complaints either, but for a different reason. This is about trying to find a new audience for comics from Tharg. That can only be a good thing if we want the Prog to continue for years to come.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Magnetica on 12 May, 2019, 10:23:00 PM
I don't get the complaints either, but for a different reason. This is about trying to find a new audience for comics from Tharg. That can only be a good thing if we want the Prog to continue for years to come.

THIS.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tjm86

The one good thing about this place is that people are willing to consider different viewpoints critically and maturely.  Even where viewpoints are diametrically opposed, for the most part they are accepted as valid and heard out (granted there are a few exceptions that are beyond the pale but owners don't tend to be here long).

I get the point about it being aimed at growing a sustainable audience.  The one about different formats having been tried over the years is also a fair one.  Overall there was a lot to commend the edition and as Tordel's points out, it was only one week. 

TB though, I'm in the "wouldn't this have worked better as a Summer Special?" camp.  Personally I believe it would have worked better since it could have pointed to the prog, had the same level of exposure and still achieved the main objectives.  Mainly because it stood as a one off / trial that contained a couple of strips that were unlikely to be continued for a while until the interest had been gauged.  Folks would pick up the following prog expecting different things and not picking up a couple of stories midway through.

So for me the issue is about timing more than about it being a standalone prog.  Perhaps if 2131 had been a jumping on prog it would have made more sense?  Still, I get the counter arguments too.

hippynumber1

Quote from: sheridan on 12 May, 2019, 05:33:00 PM
For me, only Finder and Keeper feels like it justifies some of the criticism of being aimed at a younger audience

I must be the only person who preferred Finder & Keeper to Full Tilt Boogie - shame, looks like I won't get to see any more :-(

I was thinking the same; at last, I know I'm not alone. There was nothing wrong with 'Full Tilt Boogie' but, for me, it felt very disjointed. I kept thinking I'd missed a couple of panels. Finders & Keepers, while predictable, was good fun, just disappointing that it was a pilot episode rather than a self-contained one-off. Overall, I really enjoyed the whole Regened prog.

dweezil2

Quote from: Magnetica on 12 May, 2019, 10:23:00 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 12 May, 2019, 05:32:05 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 12 May, 2019, 08:29:58 AM
Woudl the progs that were all Dredd/Sin Dex/Slane count as specials 'foisted' on us? At least this had enough variation to find something to like if you werent a fan of one of the above

Was thinking that very thing meself. Also: all the Christmas progs, and the dreaded Sex prog, it's not like Tharg hasn't played about with the format within the regular weekly slot before this. I understand people's objections, but I don't share them.it was a fun high quality experiment, for one week

Yep - I can't understanding the complaint about this being a 'special' in the regular prog when we've had about twenty-something similar departures from the norm in the last twenty five years.

Further to my positive opinions of Dredd and Full Tilt Boogie, Anderson also served as an excellent introduction to the character as well as a very enjoyable self contained story, with real world parallels, it also featured some excellent clean, detailed art.
I suspect that if this hadn't been billed as an "all ages issue" there wouldn't have been nearly as many criticism, as the story quality I've read so far has been as high if not higher than many a recent Prog.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

AlexF

I know this Prog was technically aimed at my children rather than me, but I enjoyed it much more than I expected, and it's the first new Prog in a while that I will actually bother to re-read soon because it has piqued my interest. For what it's worth, my children a) aren't really into 2000AD at the moment (sad for me!) and b)  if they were, I'd be getting them to look at the regular Prog as well as the Regene version, as I suspect they'd find as much story and art to enjoy in one as the other. 

cartilas

Don't normally post but I though I would give it a go. I have avoided reading this prog (2130) and skipped over it. But have now read it today and have to say it was much more enjoyable than I imagined it would be. Obviously Chris Weston's Dredd was the stand out story but I also enjoyed Full Tilt Boogie, Good little story with interesting characters and I loved the art work. I am glad I took the time to read it today :)