Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 17 August, 2023, 10:07:26 AM3:10 to Yuma is one I enjoyed
3:10 to Yuma was a good one.
Didn't care for it so much on the re-watch, mind.
I've grown tired of Christian Bale's gaunt intensity, and I got the impression that Russell Crowe had grown complacent with middle age.
On the other hand, it was the first time I'd seen Ben Foster in anything, and he was great.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Barrington Boots

I haven't seen it in a long time but I remember Ben Foster does rule in it.
And poor old Alan Tudyk doing the classic Alan Tudyk 'I'm a friendly character - oh no! unexpected death' routine.

Back to M7 briefly, anyone seen the tv series with Michael Biehn and Ron Perlman? Non-spoilery reading up on it makes it sound like the Littlest Hobo with 7 gunfighters but I'm still interested

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Michael Knight

I also recommend 'Open Range' with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall Great western movie.

The Legendary Shark

Was Unforgiven the Last Great Western?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 17 August, 2023, 12:43:33 PMWas Unforgiven the Last Great Western?

It's close, definitely as far as I can see the last great 'original' take on the genre.

Colin YNWA

There's been a couple of great tv shows since Unforgiven - The English and Godless AND Ballard of Buster Scruggs AND Slow West AND the remake of True Grit.

You could debate if these are actually Westerns or other films that just happen to be set in the 'Old West' - so like Bone Tomahawk is a horror, just happens to be in the Old West...

Hawkmumbler

Oh, and Deadwood. 'Smack-My-Head' worthy I neglected to mention it if we are considering TV shows, which considering the close interplay between mediums as far as Westerns go would probably be reticent to ignore.

The Legendary Shark

Any love for The Hateful Eight? I think it's a good film and enjoy the thing every time I watch it.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

It's a good time, but much like Bone Tomahawk I have a hard time considering it a western.
It's a Whodunnit in yeehaw clothing*.

*To be fair, if you dress anything up in the same regalia as The Grand Silence it's OK in my book.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 17 August, 2023, 02:09:35 PMAny love for The Hateful Eight? I think it's a good film and enjoy the thing every time I watch it.

God yes. See I would say this a straight western.

Barrington Boots

I think same as Hawk, not really a Western, just got Western trappings. I didn't enjoy it much at the cinema, but thats more down to all of Tarantino's Taratino-isms.
I actually think it could work nicely as a play. Take out the flashbacks and it mostly takes place in one room.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Hawkmumbler

OK, now we're onto 'snow westerns' and I have to do my civic duty and recommend McGabe and Ms. Millar.
Altmans best, sorry M*A*S*H heads.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I thought Django was the better Tarantino western. Classic old west story of a man whose woman is kidnapped by backwards savages.
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 17 August, 2023, 09:42:37 AMHow many genuinely great westerns have we got in the last 2 decades?
That Coen bros headed True Grit remake knocks the socks off the original, The Sisters Brothers gets very little respect for just how great it is. Drawing a blank on any other titles worthy of mention.

The Revenant, News of the World, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Old Henry & Prey (are all rather good).
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Oh, and if you don't think Prey is a western then you won't want me to add The Pale Blue Eye to the list either.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++