Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

In Terminator 2 the supposedly 10 year old John Conner looks and acts about 14.

willthemightyW

Quote from: radiator on 08 October, 2012, 09:13:08 AM
Re: Looper - Cid isn't ten years old. She was lying to put the gat-man of the scent.

Oh yeah, my bad!
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Professor Bear

Battle for Endor.  I stand by my assertion that there's nowt wrong with the Ewoks and there's no reason they shouldn't have their own telemovies for the kids, but that doesn't make BfE less shite.  It deserves a crown for being Mayor Shite of Shitetown, because it is that shite and more.
I have a theory that the little girl at the end of this comes back a few years down the line and the Ewoks don't recognise her because she's a grown woman now and they're still tiny bears, so they eat her thinking she's the reanimated zombie corpse of her own mother and dismemberment and eating the bits is the only way to be sure the zombie woman doesn't return and they pine a bit and have doubts about the flesh-eating until Leia comes along later and that's why they don't kill her immediately, but a quick Google reveals the little girl from the Ewoks movie came back in loads of Star Wars fanfiction spin-off novels as part of the post-RotJ SW extended universe, which I think is a bit mad.

Dungeons and Dragons 3: the Book of Vile Darkness, which I watched on the assumption that they can only get less terrible, but someone somewhere is utterly determined to prove me wrong because this is so bad it is unreal.  It's about some cunt whining that he deserves to be better than everyone around him and then goes on a quest to do something or other, eventually it turns out he was looking for his missing dad who was a king or a knight or something, but the whiny brat is put in the Girdle Of Agony and milked for his ink and... you know what?  Fuck this film, and if you actually liked it, fuck you too.

Mabs

Quote from: JamesC on 08 October, 2012, 09:19:00 AM

I concur! He looks (and acts) nothing like a 10 year old!   :D

Still, a great film. Probably my favourite one out of the lot, although the first comes pretty close.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

I, Cosh

Sometimes my policy of going to see any film containing Kate Beckinsale's arse backfires. Total Recall was one of these instances. I now can't really.

The next night I went to see Vincent Gallo play a sort of Taliban Richard Kimble in An Essential Killing. Involved in a car crash whilst being rendered to another military base he finds himself on the run somewhere in unspecified Eastern Europe. The only real difference being that he definitely did it. With no one-armed man to track down the film simply follows a desperate and exhausted man trying to elude his pursuers for as long as he can in an allegorical landscape he will never find his way out of.
Gallo has virtually no dialogue and, uncharacteristically, doesn't even get a chance to show us his tallywhacker so his performance boils down to looking intense and haunted.

In summary: rather  boring but there is a pretty funny bit where Gallo appears - Python style - in the distance, runs towards us and steals a fish from the guy in the foreground.
We never really die.

Frank

Edward Furlong was 14 in 1990. Judy Garland was a curvy eighteen year old nightclub chanteuse (and drug fiend) when she played ten year old Dorothy Gale. Anyone who disagrees with Hollywood's policy of casting adult actors in child parts should watch The Phantom Menace.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Taken 2: Shit.

Dark Shadows: OK, got some funny bits.

Sound of My Voice: Meh.

Paranorman: Pretty good.

Moonrise Kingdom: Pretty good.

radiator

More to the point, Connor should have only been 7 years old, seeing as The Terminator was set in 1984, and T2 in 1991.

Hoagy

On catching up with Prometheus, now feel the reviews on it on that thread, are on a par with a certain Christian review site's review of Dredd 3D. Mistaken utterance.

It's got a good old adventure formula of the Warlords of Atlantis variety, classical compositions , Gods and Monsters archetypes,  all enjoyable enough. The fact they set it across deep space provides a wider canvas, " I only know the broad strokes" say's David the substitute son.

Filled with quite original set pieces even if the core concepts aren't that original for scifi horror nuts.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Professor Bear

Prometheus is basically a massive "fuck you" to anyone who isn't Ridley Scott, and is not simply relatively terrible because I am familiar with the material, it is objectively terrible because it is a mess of a film with no clear themes, only lip-service to the idea of themes which it then abandons to lip-service other themes which it then abandons, stupid characters who do things no-one would do unless they existed in a total cultural and scientific vacuum, and an illogical plot with no linear path from one icky setpiece to another.  I rewatched it a couple of days ago and it was still a mess and still had no themes, so I stand by my assertion that Aliens Versus Predator is a better prequel to Alien (and a better film in isolation) that also does the rite of passage/legacy subtext much better, if only because it actually explores it and sees it to a conclusion.
Several things struck me as presumptuous on the second watch, especially the death of that deeply unlikable scientist bloke where the music swells and we're clearly supposed to care or be moved by this, except all I could think was "thank god that prick is dead."  Also, how did the baby space octopus grow to the size of a cow and make bones/teeth with no source of protein, calcium, etc?  It was only locked in a room for an hour or two with no food.

Saw Looper tonight, and despite being over-familiar with the plot elements and ideas still found it highly enjoyable.  Bruce Willis does another predestination paradox movie, but this time the chain of events is eventually broken.  Very good low-budget film-making, it's like what you would expect a parallel universe SyFy to be churning out instead of shit like Megamastodon vs Ultrachimpanzee or whatever, though some of the logic is dubious, like chopping off someone's hands so his future self will feel it.

WhitBloke

The Secret of Santa Vittoria.  It's just one of those films that I enjoy revisiting every few years.  Just a film but it never fails to leave me feeling enriched, poorer, sober and silly all at once - so arguably one of those films that nobody makes 'em like anymore, but I don't buy into that view myself.  It's simply one of those films that not enough are made of.  With or without the ever-watchable Anthony Quinn as a wartime mayor-by-accident and Hardy Kruger as an Iron Cross tosspot cursed with an ounce of humanity.  And that poor wife!  Oh, she's just magical.  In fact, just about everything to do with this film is magical - it's just not all entirely pleasant magic, to its credit.
Tempted now to dig out Shoes of the Fisherman or Zorba the Greek just because Quinn heads those up, too, but it's too late in the day and too early in my re-view cycle.  Which is a pity, really, and probably a rule I'll ignore come the weekend.
Captain Correlli's Mandolin can piss right off.  Long live Santa Vittoria!  Long live Mayor Bombellini!  One million bottles of wine can't be wrong.
If you've never seen it, do.  Treat yourself.
If you have seen it, I guess you either know what I mean or think I'm a soppy bastard.  I can live with that.

Furthermore, I'd have to say everything Professah Byah said about Prometheus in the preceding post is, sadly, on the money.  Which confuses the fuck out of me because I still somehow managed to enjoy that film...
So this is der place then, Johnny?

Fisticuffs

Quote from: The Cosh on 08 October, 2012, 10:26:55 PM
In summary: rather  boring but there is a pretty funny bit where Gallo appears - Python style - in the distance, runs towards us and steals a fish from the guy in the foreground.

I haven't seen this film but your description of this scene made me guffaw! Might have to watch it just for this...

NapalmKev

The  last  films I  watched  were:

Looper:  I  didn't  think  very much  of  this  at  all.  The  time  travel  plot  mechanics  are  laughable *spoiler-  removing  someone's  limbs  in  the  past  causing  them  to  'fall  off'  the  future  version,  (surely  he  wouldn't  have  the  limbs  for  the  30  years  that  follow?).
Over  hyped  crap!!!

Taken  2:  I  really  enjoyed  the  first  film  but  the  sequel  is  very  weak.  I  won't  spoil  any  of  the  plot (?)  but  the  sequences  involving  the  'Daughter'  are  ridiculous  in  the  extreme!!!

Double  spacing  is  a  mindfuck  on  iPhone,  keeps  putting  full  stops  in.  Edit  frenzy!!!

Cheers  :)
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: NapalmKev on 10 October, 2012, 12:53:59 PM
Double  spacing  is  a  mindfuck  on  iPhone,  keeps  putting  full  stops  in.  Edit  frenzy!!!

Pardon me asking, but why the fuck are you double spacing everything? It's really annoying.

You can turn off the option to add a period after a double-space in Settings -> General -> Keyboard and turning off the "." Shortcut option.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

NapalmKev

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 October, 2012, 01:14:01 PM

Pardon me asking, but why the fuck are you double spacing everything? It's really annoying.

You can turn off the option to add a period after a double-space in Settings -> General -> Keyboard and turning off the "." Shortcut option.

Cheers

Jim

A friend of mine said it was good forum etiquette. I shall 'suggest' to my friend he doesn't know what he's on about. 

Cheers  :)
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"