Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Mongol (2007).  Absolutely splendid stuff - Conan with moustaches. Exactly how I like my mystical racial-myth hagiographies, dusty, well-paced, beautifully shot and with gorgeous women and even more gorgeous landscapes.  My favourite bit is where he's locked in a cage above the Tangrut capital for 5 or 6 years, and you just know it's only a matter of time until his gaolers are completely screwed.  Note to Snyder & Nolan re Man of Steel: [spoiler]even Genghis Bloody Khan doesn't kill the bad guy in the end[/spoiler]. 

JOE SOAP

I suspect it's a lot better than this: The Yanks love a good Empire

Mongol looks beautiful. Must watch soon.

Ghost MacRoth

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Professor Bear

Like the Green Berets, I never really understood the hate for The Conqueror, as the former was just another pro-war movie, while the latter was just another western romp - hell, it was even set in Nevada.  Maybe people hate it because it killed John Wayne                              's credibility?

Goaty

Just watch Buried

Oh my...

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 20 June, 2013, 11:59:52 PM
Like the Green Berets, I never really understood the hate for The Conqueror, as the former was just another pro-war movie, while the latter was just another western romp - hell, it was even set in Nevada.  Maybe people hate it because it killed John Wayne                              's credibility?

Made in a time when hippies ruled the earth; Green Berets just picked the wrong war and no matter the direness of the Conqueror, the idea of arch-jingoist John Wayne playing a heroic Asian was probably too much.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Recrewt on 20 June, 2013, 05:40:57 PM
Anyone else catch Unstoppable last night?

The runaway train came down the track and she blew...
Incredibly, while this was on Film4 last night, I was half-watching Runaway Train on ITV4. What are the chances?

Thanks for reminding about that Mongol film. I fancied it at the time but had forgotten all about it. Was always quite partial to the Omar Sharif one.
We never really die.

Spikes

Runaway Train is superb. A top notch film, that.

Recrewt

Agreed Runaway Train is good movie - have not see that in a while so hopefully they will have it on again soon.  Always feel chilly when I watch it though!

"Okay, fool, Get your clothes off and grease down."  :o

Colin YNWA

I have never heard of that movie but liking Unstoppable and having just watched the trailer that's on my Lovefilm list that is.

Looks greats thanks for the recommendation.

Spikes

An almost unrecognisable Jon Voight is superb as Manny. Those eyes!!
One of his best roles, i think. A little Gem, that film.

Goaty

Runaway Train is reallly good, you will like it, Colin.

Ghost MacRoth

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the movie, I simply find it laughable, appalling, and utterly beyond belief! ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Frank

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 21 June, 2013, 08:38:45 PM
Like the Green Berets, I never really understood the hate for The Conqueror, as the former was just another pro-war movie, while the latter was just another western romp - hell, it was even set in Nevada.  Maybe people hate it because it killed John Wayne's credibility?

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the movie, I simply find it laughable, appalling, and utterly beyond belief! ;)

Unlike Where Eagles Dare, The Green Berets takes time out from bayonetting the fiendish enemy to essay a scene where a gruff Sgt Major explains to David Janssen's anti-war journalist that the NVA are bad men who do bad things, and maybe he should think about that before writing op-eds questioning US involvement in Vietnam. Janssen's hardened hack is so non-plussed by this challenge to his commie-loving ways that he accepts the Sarge's offer to get out from behind his desk and see how the war is actually being fought, by real men.

The unflinching portrayal of the full reality of the American war machine which follows consists of scenes where lovable rogue GIs tousle the hair of cute moppets with pets you worry might not make it to the last reel, wells are dug on behalf of the simple villagers under their protection, and the shocking use of torture and summary execution upon Vietnamese civilians (by the NVA only) is depicted in detail. Jannsen's suitably shocked, but ruefully remarks to The Duke that he'd be fired and blacklisted if he ever told the truth of the inhumanity he has witnessed when he gets back home.

The Green Berets is only a war film in the same way Dr Strangelove is a war film; in that it uses the backdrop of conflict to advance an ideological argument. I watch it every time it's on telly.

Ghost MacRoth

Not sure why you quoted my post, I was talking about the conqueror, someone else started on about the Green Berets. ;)

Mind you, I tend to think that ones a tad pony too.