Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 08 June, 2014, 10:20:00 AMTalking of - and I know TB and DarkJimbo (the real one) may agree, that would be a tolerable screen fate for Master & Commander eh what. Would just be rather expensive.

Black Sails has proven tv companies can do sea-based romps on a telly budget.  Crossbones has proven this is not necessarily a good thing.

Cutthroat Island - too long, the lead character is rubbish and the director can't direct the huge action setpieces to save his life, and yet none of these things were a barrier to Pirates of the Carribean making a gazillion dubloons with more or less the same story and a lead character that was ten times as shite.  The scale of the sets occasionally borders on amazing, especially in the final half-hour sea battle which is almost great, but ultimately scuppered by the pacing and aforementioned lack of directorial flair or focus, and I think a really good editor might have tightened up the whole thing, or at least saved that carriage chase.  Not good, but not as bad as its reputation suggests, either, the march of time lending it more charm than it probably had when it first came out.

NapalmKev

Quote from: Kennari Bjarndýr on 08 June, 2014, 05:44:47 PM
Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 08 June, 2014, 10:20:00 AMTalking of - and I know TB and DarkJimbo (the real one) may agree, that would be a tolerable screen fate for Master & Commander eh what. Would just be rather expensive.

Black Sails has proven tv companies can do sea-based romps on a telly budget.  Crossbones has proven this is not necessarily a good thing.

Cutthroat Island - too long, the lead character is rubbish and the director can't direct the huge action setpieces to save his life, and yet none of these things were a barrier to Pirates of the Carribean making a gazillion dubloons with more or less the same story and a lead character that was ten times as shite.  The scale of the sets occasionally borders on amazing, especially in the final half-hour sea battle which is almost great, but ultimately scuppered by the pacing and aforementioned lack of directorial flair or focus, and I think a really good editor might have tightened up the whole thing, or at least saved that carriage chase.  Not good, but not as bad as its reputation suggests, either, the march of time lending it more charm than it probably had when it first came out.

I found the worst thing about Horseshit Island was the fact I got suckered into buying the computer game (Master System), and paid more than 30 quid for it!

Cutthroat indeed!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Mattofthespurs

Captain Philips. Wasn't overly impressed.

Frank

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 09 June, 2014, 02:22:45 PM
Captain Philips. Wasn't overly impressed

If you pretend it's a Nolan/Dark Knight style reboot of the Under Siege franchise, with portly Tom Hanks replacing fat Steve Seagal, it's quite entertaining. They even remember to rip off Die Hard (just like the Seagal original) with the bit where [spoiler]someone with bare feet walks on shattered glass[/spoiler]. You've got to admit that ending is pretty tense.

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie X on 09 June, 2014, 05:17:23 PM
hey even remember to rip off Die Hard (just like the Seagal original) with the bit where [spoiler]someone with bare feet walks on shattered glass[/spoiler].

Mark Millar should sue.

Professor Bear

He would, only Grant Morrison was the one who actually wrote it.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Kennari Bjarndýr on 09 June, 2014, 09:48:39 PM
He would, only Grant Morrison was the one who actually wrote it.

Did Morrison write Silo? That little snippet passed me by...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

Ah no, Jim - I was joking about how Morrison has made a habit of claiming that he had a hand in - or directly wrote - anything that Millar did in his early career that was successful.

Jim_Campbell

Gotcha. Sorry. Brain's a bit frazzled tonight!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: sauchie X on 09 June, 2014, 05:17:23 PM
You've got to admit that ending is pretty tense.

I didn't think the ending was tense at all. I knew that he survived but that wasn't the problem. I thought Apollo 13 was very tense and I knew the outcome of that too.

Dunno, just didn't like it.

GrinningChimera

Watched The Trip To Italy last night. Coogans [spoiler]Don Corleone [/spoiler]was brilliant! Some great and very funny impressions. Well worth the price of admission.

Tiplodocus

Though the Tom Hardy/Bane and Christian Bale/Batman impressions are not the best, that whole bit in episode one had me and Tiny Tips in stitches.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I've found Wes Anderson movies to be a bit hit and miss. Sometimes his quirky style irks, other times it suits the movie perfectly.

The Grand Budapest Hotel is one of those times where he hits the mark perfectly. In fact, I might go back and revisit the movies I found a bit annoying and re-evaluate them. He really demonstrates how a movie can be visually compelling stunning without tits and explosions and shaky cams and quick cuts and billions of pixels. All the locations are absolutely gorgeous, and the way the interiors are shot really give you a sense of the huge scale of the various fictional grand old piles.

The ensemble cast all put in excellent performances, and they all seem to be having a great deal of fun, but Ralph Fiennes is the obvious star of the show.
You may quote me on that.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: King Pops on 17 June, 2014, 02:36:45 PM
I've found Wes Anderson movies to be a bit hit and miss. Sometimes his quirky style irks, other times it suits the movie perfectly.

The Grand Budapest Hotel is one of those times where he hits the mark perfectly. In fact, I might go back and revisit the movies I found a bit annoying and re-evaluate them. He really demonstrates how a movie can be visually compelling stunning without tits and explosions and shaky cams and quick cuts and billions of pixels. All the locations are absolutely gorgeous, and the way the interiors are shot really give you a sense of the huge scale of the various fictional grand old piles.

The ensemble cast all put in excellent performances, and they all seem to be having a great deal of fun, but Ralph Fiennes is the obvious star of the show.

Funnily enough, I watched this last night. Loved every second of it. I can't remember the last time a movie was as much fun as this was.

atp

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn
Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson.

Gorgeous animation. Although I didn't think snowy was as good/convincing as the rest of the character animations.
The freedom of choice should be compulsory