Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost MacRoth

Ong Bak is an excellent film. The follow up not so much, but yeah...that wee fucker is nimble!
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Keef Monkey

That's two votes for Ong Bak then, I'll get it on the watchlist. Thanks for the recommendation!

Hawkmumbler

Been watching quite a bit recently as background noise, mostly stuff i've seen before.

The Beyond (dir. Lucio Fulci, 1981) is probably Fulci's crowning achievement, a movie that mastered the "slow jump scare" and one of the single most atmospheric of horror movies, it's also a completely unique take on the zombie genre. The best of the Gates of Hell Trilogy for me and what an OST!

Videodrome (dir. David Cronenberg, 1983) builds on the success of Rabid and Scanners and make's probably one of the best example of body horror fiction to date. It is once again, IMHO, the best example of the directors body of work and an utterly masterful experience to watch.

Phantom of Death (dir. Rogero Deodato, 1988) is probably one of the more obscure example of Itallian homre grown horror, but bosts a surprisingly rich cast. Donald Pleasence? Michael York? Thats not bad going, and to be fair as schlocky and ugly a movie it is it is at least very entertaining due to York's border line Hannibal Lecter tole and it's actually rather good. By low brow giallo standards.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 12 March, 2016, 07:46:48 PM
The Beyond (dir. Lucio Fulci, 1981) is probably Fulci's crowning achievement, a movie that mastered the "slow jump scare" and one of the single most atmospheric of horror movies, it's also a completely unique take on the zombie genre.

Been a while since I've seen either but ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS holds together better while THE BEYOND is a lot more . . . unsettling.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 12 March, 2016, 10:50:56 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 12 March, 2016, 07:46:48 PM
The Beyond (dir. Lucio Fulci, 1981) is probably Fulci's crowning achievement, a movie that mastered the "slow jump scare" and one of the single most atmospheric of horror movies, it's also a completely unique take on the zombie genre.

Been a while since I've seen either but ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS holds together better while THE BEYOND is a lot more . . . unsettling.
Now see, The Beyond is undoubtably the better movie and the more unique of the two. However, i'll stand by your statement. ZFE is my prefered of the two and my favourite Fulci film, as well as in my top 3 fave zombie flicks.

Greg M.

The Beyond has David Warbeck reloading a gun by pushing a bullet up the barrel. That beats anything else.

Tiplodocus

Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Slower than I remembered but still cracking good movie even if the different elements are not something you would immediately think go together.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 13 March, 2016, 09:37:01 PM
Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Slower than I remembered but still cracking good movie even if the different elements are not something you would immediately think go together.

Oh I do love that movies.

Just watched 'Fury Road' again. The movie that keeps on giving!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Woman in Gold

Dashed good and not as heavy as The Pianist. Films like this should be compulsary watching.
Lock up your spoons!

Buttonman

Daddy's Home with Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg. I told the wife how it would finish up and I was exactly right. Couple of laughs though.

NapalmKev

V/H/S 2 not a patch on the first film. There was on really good story about [spoiler]a suicide cult[/spoiler] which was spoiled when [spoiler]a massive rubber-headed Satan[/spoiler] appeared!

Point Break the remake. Should've Been called Pointless Horseshit. A complete waste of time and the original is far better.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Keef Monkey

Odd, I found V/H/S 2 a huge improvement on the first film, and the Gareth Evans suicide cult story only got better for me the more ludicrous it became. It was like the energy of The Raid applied to horror, loved it. Different strokes!

Have been ill with the cold so watched (and rewatched) some stuff at the weekend.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the more recent one) - Avoided this because it looked like a real stinker, and maybe my low expectations helped because we actually got a few laughs and thrills out of it. Appreciated how over the top 'live action cartoon' it was, surprisingly fun.

Predator - Obviously a rewatch, found the trilogy cheap on blu-ray so was time to revisit it. Looks great (aside from a couple of shots where the source footage clearly wasn't up to snuff so there's a jarring brief drop in image quality) and is still a fantastic film. Can't really fault it actually, still an amazingly cool movie.

And then I went straight onto Predator 2, which I've always thought was massively underrated. Moving it to the city is a great idea and makes for some amazing images and sequences and also makes for quite a different film to the first which is admirable. It wears some influences on its sleeve (there are some strong whiffs of Robocop here and there and the meat warehouse set-piece is clearly them trying to replicate Aliens (but it works!) and you sometimes wonder if Danny Glover's character was originally supposed to be played by someone with the physique of Schwarzenegger (there's a line where Danny Boy says 'even YOU couldn't lift a body up there!' when it looks like Glover would get out of breath lifting himself up some stairs), but it holds up really, really well and I loved it.

And then Lucy, which is an odd and silly film but also quite a fun one I found. Went in expecting it to be a bit of a generic action revenge thing (Johanssen gets powers and then just shoots/telepaths her way to the boss, the end) but it's actually a lot quirkier than that. A bit messy and not brilliant by any means, but a fun way to pass a tight 90mins.

von Boom

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 13 March, 2016, 10:17:57 PM
Woman in Gold

Dashed good and not as heavy as The Pianist. Films like this should be compulsary watching.

Agreed. It's a great film about a difficult topic and well handled. Ryan Reynolds, who knew he could act?

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 14 March, 2016, 09:43:26 AM
Odd, I found V/H/S 2 a huge improvement on the first film, and the Gareth Evans suicide cult story only got better for me the more ludicrous it became. It was like the energy of The Raid applied to horror, loved it. Different strokes!

Agreed. Quite enjoyed every bit of V/H/S 2 apart from the Alien segment, which was rubbish. Both VHS movies are so much better than the ABCs of Death, which have but one or two good bits across 50+ shorts.

Goaty

Both V/H/S was great, and there is third film V/H/S Viral, as Parallel segment was the best as others Magic cloak or skating was shite.