Main Menu

Rugby WC

Started by maryanddavid, 28 September, 2015, 11:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

Mikey

Pleased to see this thread! Rugby's the only sport I have any real interest in and the only one I've played competitively.

I missed most of the last RWC as I was in the wilds of Monaghan during it, but now I'm an Increased Leisure Citizen I've been able to make up for it. There was some cracker matches in the pools right enough and it's been great to see how competitive the 'tier two' nations have been.

I was in Cardiff last week to see Wales v Fiji and also New Zealand v Georgia. First time I've been to the Millennium Stadium (and Wales in fact) and it was fantastic! Was up in the gods for the Wales match but had seats at pitch level for the New Zealand game. The atmosphere at both was great, but the All Blacks game was just the best - the Auckers are great crack! Especially if you're wearing an Ireland top  :)

Was really impressed by Ireland yesterday, I had a horrible suspicion France might squeak past them. I'd definitely say they'll beat Argentina and it looks like they'd be facing the Wallabies in the semi final. Australia have looked really sharp so far, so that could be a tough one - but I'm beginning to believe...

It's a shame England didn't get through - toughest pool by far, but I thought it'd come down to points difference and not defeats. They should have drawn with Wales, though Wales managed that game brilliantly and thoroughly deserve the quarter final spot.

TL:DR - G'wan Airlind!
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Old Tankie

I'm gutted England are out, would never normally support anyone else, but have to say I hope Ireland do well.

JayzusB.Christ

Cheers, Tankie. Obviously I'm supporting my own country but I would have liked to see England get further; shame they were knocked out at such an early stage.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Yeah, the way the pools were drawn and structured was ridiculous, and England gor the shitty end of the stick. Three major contenders in pool A and only Seth Effrika im pool B?* I think the tournament suffered.

* completely unforeseen showing by Japan notwithstanding, and no offence to our Caledonian friends.
You may quote me on that.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Mister Pops on 12 October, 2015, 06:25:04 PM
Yeah, the way the pools were drawn and structured was ridiculous, and England gor the shitty end of the stick. Three major contenders in pool A and only Seth Effrika im pool B?* I think the tournament suffered.

* completely unforeseen showing by Japan notwithstanding, and no offence to our Caledonian friends.

This kind of condecending is why ABE is the second team for many Scots
Lock up your spoons!

Citi-Def_Joe

I am a fan of the Rugby in both its codes and still a union player (in the loosest, over 35, 3rd team, lower league sense). I am English born and bred and yet I  find it hard to root for England, in the last world cup in 2011 the off field behaviour was akin to a load of over privileged spoilt kids or worse football players and this world cup they have played as a group of individuals, behaved with petulance and lacked direction at times, Yes they had a tough group but they had home advantage, the way they played wasnt good enough IMHO.

English rugby needs to get off its high horse, give the players a sense of direction and build a TEAM

Old Tankie

England didn't go through because we weren't good enough, but it's still been a great tournament.
Semi final lineup.  Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Ireland.

maryanddavid

Regardless or the varied opinions on England's exit, the tournament is the poorer without its hosts. Thankfully the 'second; tier nations have really stepped up.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

The Wheelchair Rugby World Cup is on ITV4 now. Fantastic sport. Watch the documentary "Murderball" if you're interested.
You may quote me on that.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Mister Pops on 13 October, 2015, 05:41:48 PM
The Wheelchair Rugby World Cup is on ITV4 now. Fantastic sport. Watch the documentary "Murderball" if you're interested.

Oh, you just beat me to it. Was going to say that I thought this was the only field game in that part of the world and I also understand. We might not be talking about the same thing....

Mikey

Mikey

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"