Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

As a mate of mine proffered, "they make exceptions all the time, I don't see what's so different this time around... for this black kid."

The kind of people who'd ask for clemency aren't likely to vote for Tory lizards anyway, so there's not really a downside for the party in kicking a highly-visible non-caucasian out of the country while liberals wail and gnash - this can only improve their standing with the disaffected racists who've gone over to UKIP.

TordelBack

What does it say about a state when it behaves like this (not that my own parasites are any better). 

Professor Bear

I'm from Northern Ireland, TB - I've got both sets of the fuckers to worry about.

Stan

Speaking of UKIP, Nick Clegg took an even bigger beating in the polls this time. After watching the debate I assumed this would be the case.

YouGov:
Nigel Farage 68
Nick Clegg 27

ICM:
Nigel Farage 69
Nick Clegg 31

Professor Bear

I half hope the fuckers get in as it's the only way we'll get the revolution we need.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Professor Bear on 02 April, 2014, 07:47:40 PM
I'm from Northern Ireland, TB - I've got both sets of the fuckers to worry about.

If the Scotch get their independence, we could potentially have three dicks to try and swallow.
You may quote me on that.

Ancient Otter

Adam Curtis worked Alan Moore into his latest blog post, about the lack of trust in authority in the U.K.

Old Tankie

Quote from: Professor Bear on 02 April, 2014, 06:58:17 PM
As a mate of mine proffered, "they make exceptions all the time, I don't see what's so different this time around... for this black kid."

The kind of people who'd ask for clemency aren't likely to vote for Tory lizards anyway, so there's not really a downside for the party in kicking a highly-visible non-caucasian out of the country while liberals wail and gnash - this can only improve their standing with the disaffected racists who've gone over to UKIP.

So, they should make an exception based on someone's colour?

Frank

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 02 April, 2014, 09:42:21 PM
Adam Curtis worked Alan Moore into his latest blog post, about the lack of trust in authority in the U.K.

That was a fantastic read. Cheers, Otter.

JOE SOAP

Adam Curtis has previously sung the praises of Alan Moore:

"HUO: Many artists keep telling me how they're very inspired by Alan Moore. He's a total guru.

AC: They're right. I think he's a genius. Because he is obviously driven by this idea that you could do really complicated things, both in narrative and in what you're saying, yet do them in a really entertaining pop way. I would never compare myself to him because he is a sort of god, but I mean it's what I try and do—pop stuff, right? I do jokes. I use silly music. I have dancing animals, anything. But I try not to compromise in what I'm saying. I don't simplify it. I mean, I simplify it, but I don't degrade it. But he doesn't, either. And the way he structures narrative is just incredible."

TordelBack

Quote from: Old Tankie on 02 April, 2014, 10:38:31 PM
So, they should make an exception based on someone's colour?

What they should do is earn their silly money by making decisions on the basis of shared humanity and doing the decent thing, outside of lipservice adherence to an imperfect system.

It's one kid, the kind of kid we could all do with more of in our countries and communities.  If we're drawing up lists of people who should be moved on, there are more pressing names.

Even Judge Dredd understands how this sort of thing works.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Old Tankie on 02 April, 2014, 10:38:31 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 02 April, 2014, 06:58:17 PM

So, they should make an exceptions based on someone's colour?

No, they should not make decisions based on it.

Old Tankie

Quite right, Richmond, that's what I think.

Hi TB, not been following the story closely, but if you say the young lady has a good case for staying, based on what you've read, I'm quite happy to go along with you.  Of course there should be common sense in the system.  I just think it's lazy thinking for some people to suggest it's just because of her colour.

Professor Bear

As lazy and obvious as ever.

Old Tankie

Stop talking about yourself, mate, you'll get a complex!