Main Menu

You might hear & see me on Channel 4 this Friday

Started by Krustabi, 08 February, 2005, 07:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krustabi

Last night, I went to the cinema, but before the film started, a TV team from Channel 4's "The Friday Night Project" announced they were trying to break a record for the most swear words on TV. They held up some Dylanesque flashcards with naughty words on, and asked us to shout them out. I went along at first, but then I got bored and shouted "Jimmy Carr isn't funny" (he's one of the presenters)instead.

Afterwards, the compere bloke said, "thank you all, apart from the hilarious bloke who said funny".

That's it,

Krustabi, who likes making Sound editors earn their money.

Bico

But I don't understand - Jimmy Carr ISN'T funny.

Dudley

Jimmy Carr bloody well is funny.  Unlike almost everything he's ever appeared in on TV (with the exception of Have I Got News For You).

Catch him doing stand-up sometime and you'll see genius at work.

The Friday night Project, on the other hand, is Channel 4's biggest failure since Girls and Boys, or whatever that Vernon Kay-hosted atrocity was called.  So good work, Krusty!

Tiplodocus

I'm always amazed how they take really funny people and turn them into everyday TV presenters.

It's like some mad career path that comedians have started carving outfor themselves - I used to be a Python but now I'll stand looking smug in the himalayas.  Goodie, goodie, bird shit.

Frank Skinner was funny once too.

The American version of this career path is that all comedians long to be serious actors.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Megadeth

I would have caught Jimmy Carr live if he hadn't sold out nearly 3 months in advance!!!

No justice in the world, i'm going to see Ed Byrne tomorrow night and as far as i know tickets are still available. Hell even Tony Robinson sold out well in advance!!

Tordelbach

Have to disagree with Tiplo on the Python aside!  Python Palin may have made me laugh blood (if such a thing is either possible or desirable), but his Second Career as Sunburnt Palin is pretty watchable stuff too (esp. the Great Circle one).  

With you on Bill Odie though, much as I love him for his past glories, I don't think he's much cop as a presenter.  Still, better that than the TV incarnations of Garden and Taylor...

Quirkafleeg

I've no idea wether Carr is funny or not now... he's so over-exposed that every time I see him on tv (about every other program on 4) I wont to punch in his fat face.

Palin's Around the World was good but I went off him when he turned up for a chat show but had to have a massage first. (Oh and I once lived opposite his old school)

Oddie is a twitchy mentalist in real life apprently... I'm glad he's managing to hold it together to acutally make a program

Goosegash

The Friday Night Project was originally billed as Saturday Night Live style comedy sketch show, but apparently the results were so embarrasingly awful that they decided to bring in J. Carr and reshoot the whole thing. So if you think this version is dreadful, imagine what it must've been like before...

My favourite Bill Oddie moment is when Aspel turned up to do a "This Is Your Life" for him, and he told them to sod off! They did eventually convince him to change his mind, but still.

Quirkafleeg

>They did eventually convince him to change his mind

"You want to keep making your bird programs for the BBC right? Well get in that studio!"

Jared Katooie

"But I don't understand - Jimmy Carr ISN'T funny."

Finally we agree on something. Jimmy Carr is one of the most annoying people on television today. He's even made my axis of boredom.

JARED'S AXIS OF EVIL

5)Mark LaMarr
4)Davina McCall
3)Vernon Kaye
2)Jimmy Carr
1)Iain Lee

If you see one of these people on the street, please shoot them. Thank you.

Jared Katooie

Quirkafleeg

This should cheer you up then...

Link: http://news.independent.co.uk/people/profiles/story.jsp?story=605571" target="_blank">Iain Lee - My life's up shit-creek

therev

Hur, I laike Carr, just not in that Distraction thing he was in on Ch4 awhile ago.

Adrian Bamforth

Jimmy Carr was very impressive on Chain Reaction but should be awarded an honour if only for this reason:

"Row as Davidson nick-nicks Carr's gag

Jimmy Carr has taken legal advice after Jim Davidson apparently stole one of his jokes.

Solicitors acting for the Distraction host have now written to the old-school comic demanding an apology after he repeated the gag on his BBC1 show Jim Davidson On The Road.

Carr cracked the joke about fat women at the televised Royal Variety Performance in 2002 ? and Davidson even congratulated him on it.

Carr?s line was: "Someone came up to me last week and complained about that joke. Quite a big boned girl. She said 'I think you're fattist'. I said 'No, I think you're fattest'."

Davidson's joke, with added bile, was: "This big fat weeble-wobbles fat-arsed bird came up and said, ?You're fattist', and I said 'No, you're the fattest'."

A source told The Mirror last night: "Jim came up to Jimmy after the Royal Variety Performance and told him how much he loved the joke.

"Jimmy was flattered, but then he heard that Jim had basically copied the joke on his TV show last month. He is not happy about it and wants Jim to say sorry and to acknowledge it was his joke in the first place."

The story highlights the gulf between modern comics, who pride themselves on  distinctive material, and the older generation for whom swapping the same gags was par for the course."