Main Menu

...NEW DOCTOR WHO TONIGHT, 16/4/05, ALIENS OF LONDON...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 16 April, 2005, 01:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Running Clam

My faverite episode so far,just for the pig alone.The aliens looked pretty good,along with the rest of sfx.It was great to see they used UNIT and I hope they will be used more.
The only downers was the over use of the farting,but it still gave some well done bits of tension,such as with the police man.The other was showing so much of the next episode in the trailer.

pauljholden

Did anyone phone the onscreen number to report an alien and if so what did you get?

-pj

Quirkafleeg

That was a cracker... I think spreading the story over two episodes really helped the pacing. Liked the way being an assistant has consequences ('You were gone a year!'), that we would all be watching the consequences of a flying saucer crashing into the Thames on the telly (like we all did with 911) and UNIT of course (hope the bring in a new Brigadier equivalent - played by Ross Kemp). The farting was a bit overplayed but it did give some good jokes.  And the absolute cracking triple cliff-hanger (including the old favourite of a monster lurching towards a screaming women) was well spoilered by the preview of next week.

paulvonscott

You know something, I should be the one complaining about the fart jokes.  

A friend who sends me all sorts of crude jokes (against my will) sent me a text complaining about it.  I'm genuinely sick of seeing crudity used so casually in all aspects of life, but this didn't bother me in the slightest.

It seemed to me that it was a silly joke, but with some real dramtic uses, and it was explained in a non-offensive way.  Some sort of gas regulator wasn't really working.

And yes, wasn't the mention of UNIT just a joy.  We'd been told all along it wasn't UNIT (and techinically they were right), and what a great surprise it was when they got a mention.

Yup, trailer as a huge spoiler, but if we'd had the will power we'd have turned over wouldn't we!

Dounreay

Missed last weeks but this was  so good. Its just full of good bits...dead Prime Minister stashed in cupboard, how do we get in to see this alien ship I know lets go watch it on telly, wee ned vandalising the TARDIS, the MP for God knows where getting in the way. And was that BBC reporter bloke, Jeremy Vine(?) in one shot on the news broadcast.

The Enigmatic Dr X

A good start (ie before the credits) but then it went downhill and overall it was pants.

How many casual viewers would have turned over for good at:-

[SPOLIERS - BUT THEN WE HAVE ALL SEEN IT, RIGHT?]

The pig in a space suit?

The rubbish, never ending and needless fart gags?

The pantomime baddies laughing for no reason? (Surely they should have announced their evil plot before laughing, and preferably had droopy moustches to twirl while doing so?)

The dodgy SFX. I mean, come on, those aliens at the end were up there with the Myra!

After the sublime-ness of last weeks, this one was a dog turd. I guess it's been padded out to two weeks just to deal with the Rose back-story.

As for the trailer - what worries me about this is that I think there may be a marked reluctance at the beeb for characters to be killed in this new Who. Maybe they don't want to scare the kiddies, but I found the lack of body count oddly low for an alien invasion.

Still, maybe the body bags will fill when the Daleks get on the scene.

Lock up your spoons!

DavidXBrunt

Of course now I'm hoping that the Brig will turn up next week. It'd be just the icing on the cake.

Bico

Was it just me that thought the cliffhanger could have been shortened to less than the five minutes it seemed to take until the credits rolled?

"We have invaded your Earth - MWAH-HA-HA-HA!"
They really should have had twirly mustaches - or a goatee at the very least.

Carlsborg Expert

ARRISARRIS

...big ben getting trashed was a great effect and the inprobability of it also used in the plot, also loved the scene just before where Rose and the Doc were talking and over flies the space ship and the Doctors joy at something strange happening again...

mastertsan

i thought the episode was great (what everyone said before was spot on). one thing no-one has mentioned, though, is the thread they are running through the last couple of episodes, namely the tardis.  it's buggered.  either the doctor is a crap driver of epic proportions - thereby exposing some as yet unseen fault in his character (did that happen with any of the other doctors, and with such regularity - i can't remember??) or they are setting up a future story about the tardis busting.  it has parralels with han and the falcon, i can't wait for the doctor to shout 'it's not my fault'.
jon

Richmond Clements

Ahhh, but the TARDIS has always been buggered.
The Doctor has only been able to control it whan it was dramatically required for him to do so, or the Time Lords sent him somewhere.

mastertsan

you're saying the tardis is selectively buggered when it's required to do so??  that's lazy writing in my book, just pop's up and 'hey presto' there is a super problem wherever/whenever they land.  may have been feasible when i was a kid but now???  i'm not sure if i can take another 9 episodes of that happening.  but i have faith, it's been great so far.

DavidXBrunt

I've always thought about it like this. The T.A.R.D.I.S. is pinging around time and space on a random course, mainly because The Doctor isn't that good at controlling it and partly because it's more fun for him if he doesn't know where it lands. Sometimes it lands and he and his companions have a few cups of tea, eat some scones, sightsee and then move on. Sometimes there's danger, excitement, adventure. It's those occasions that we see.

Now I know there have been linking elements between the first four stories of this season but nevermind...

Richmond Clements

you're saying the tardis is selectively buggered when it's required to do so?? that's lazy writing in my book, just pop's up and 'hey presto' there is a super problem wherever/whenever they land. may have been feasible when i was a kid but now??? i'm not sure if i can take another 9 episodes of that happening. but i have faith, it's been great so far.

You could look at it like that I suppose... or you could see it as the greatest plot device ever created. A machine that can take the hero anywhere at any time!