Main Menu

Repro idea?

Started by Max Headroom, 08 November, 2023, 06:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Headroom

I was just browsing on the Internet and came across some new Marvel Comics Library editions which are utilizing some new reproductions techniques. The accompanying blurb states that:

"The most pristine pedigreed comics have been cracked open and photographed for reproduction...Each page has been photographed as printed more than half a century ago, then digitally remastered using modern retouching techniques to correct problems with the era's inexpensive, imperfect printing".

I was wondering whether such a process could be used by 2000ad to improve the quality of some of the older stories which have suffered repro issues along the way? I leave this question open to others who have more extensive knowledge of the matter than I. (But it's a thought at least?!)

The Legendary Shark

I can see this being one of the jobs A.I. could do on the cheap in the not too distant future. The natural evolution of OCR. As the costs come down, the probability of such a perfected reproduction increases, I guess, giving us old duffers something shiny to look forward to.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

13school

Supposedly a lot of Marvel's reprints of their old comics weren't of the original comics at all, but redrawn (basically traced) versions, as they didn't have decent scans of the Kirby / Ditko / etc artwork. So these new editions - which I think are basically the same methods that Taschen used for their giant Marvel books - are going to be a big step up in quality.

Weren't the 80s-era 2000ad collections from Titan shot from the original art?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Max Headroom on 08 November, 2023, 06:35:40 PMdigitally remastered using modern retouching techniques to correct problems with the era's inexpensive, imperfect printing
Let's hope they didn't take a leaf out of what IDW did when it murdered the linework and colours from classic Marvel G1 Transformers comics.