Main Menu

Hello from North Dorset!

Started by Le Fink, 01 March, 2023, 08:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Le Fink on 01 March, 2023, 08:27:38 PMDredd, Brink and Lawless my fave contemporary thrills.

What fine, fine choices.

Quote from: Le Fink on 02 March, 2023, 08:00:31 AMDante, Zombo, Shakara, Kingdom, SinDex, Stickleback, Aquila, Cabalistics, Absolom, Ampney C, Savage, Ichabod, Red Seas, Lobster R, 10 seconders, Brink, Greysuit, Jaiger, Grey Area, Defoe, the Order, Cradlegrave, Brass Sun, Returners, Blunt, Leviathan, Scarlet Traces, Age of the Wolf

That list alone shows the great wealth of comics 2000ad has produced to tempt back folks who drifted after the first 'Golden Age' - what fun you must be havin'

Welcome aboard - have fun

(oh and well done Trooper McFad for your dilegent work pluggin' the Advent Calendar one of the greatest things on this great, great forum.)

JohnW

Quote from: Le Fink on 01 March, 2023, 08:27:38 PMHow else do you choose a user name? Discuss.
Trooper McFad has never risen from his lowly rank in a Scottish cavalry outfit; broodblik is head of the proud broodblik clan, who by ancient tradition never spell their name with an upper case B; I took my name from the up-and-coming author John Ware, because that guy never quite got the credit he deserved; and the Legendary Shark is named for his cartilaginous skeleton.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

JohnW

Quote from: Le Fink on 01 March, 2023, 08:27:38 PMHow else do you choose a user name? Discuss.

Oh – and how could I forget the distinguished Mr. YNWA?
That's his real name, by the way.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Barrington Boots

Welcome Le Fink!, Or bien accueillir M. Fink if we're getting all gallic about it.

You have some great stuff to catch up on with almost everything on that Hachette list being worth a read but Dante has to be the standout amongst some very high quality thrills. Hope you enjoy your time here!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Le Fink

Thanks everyone! Not sure I could pick a standout but Dante certainly up there for me. I like hard sci fi, so huge Brink fan, but have also really enjoyed the gritty thrills of the likes of Savage and Defoe. The black and white art of those two in particular quite stunning. Would have loved to see them continue, so for me it's a shame Pat Mills has stepped away (for those tales anyway - think I've seen enough Slaine and ABC Warriors, sorry Pat!)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JWare on 02 March, 2023, 09:10:59 AM

It's true, what folks don't always get is its just pronounced 'Arrowsmith'

JohnW

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 03 March, 2023, 07:04:57 AM

Dammit – and there's me pronouncing it Farquharstonehaugh all this time.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JWare on 03 March, 2023, 07:51:44 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 03 March, 2023, 07:04:57 AM

Dammit – and there's me pronouncing it Farquharstonehaugh all this time.

I get that alot, as well as Totalblurt.

Le Fink

I may stick to "Colin". It's less formal than "mister whyendoubleyouay". An acronym? Is it common knowledge what that stands for, or is a secret only for the pure of heart or those with mere seconds to live?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Le Fink on 03 March, 2023, 05:43:32 PMI may stick to "Colin". It's less formal than "mister whyendoubleyouay". An acronym? Is it common knowledge what that stands for, or is a secret only for the pure of heart or those with mere seconds to live?

An acronym indeed - nothing to do with comics - but indeed the pure of heart, right thinking sports fans will get it... or fans of musical theatre / film might I guess...

Le Fink

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 March, 2023, 09:36:07 AMAn acronym indeed - nothing to do with comics - but indeed the pure of heart, right thinking sports fans will get it... or fans of musical theatre / film might I guess...
Oh yes, I'm not a footie fan but it's obvious innit! Ta.

Le Fink