Main Menu

Shaggy Dog Story v Roadhouse - Bolt-01 Cup - Qualifying - Relaunch: Game 01

Started by Colin YNWA, 26 July, 2021, 06:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Shaggy Dog Story v Roadhouse - Bolt-01 Cup - Qualifying - Relaunch: Game 01

Next in the Qualifying groups ties from the Relaunch Stories Region, Group 1.

All you need do is vote for your favourite between:

Shaggy Dog Story - more info

Vs

Roadhouse - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite of these two stories at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easy) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 29th July and the winner (I'll count up who gets the most votes basically) gets 3 points towards qualifying... huh...

... there's a spreadsheet to make following easier... if you fancy. If not, don't worry just VOTE!!!!

What on Earth is all this?

Why on Tharg's Earth head are we doing this?

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

I can not believe this, I have not read Roadhouse. So I will abstain from voting this round
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

I, Cosh

As well as being a fun story, Roadhouse is the only relaunch Strontium Dog story to be published in glorious monochrome, as nature intended. A triumphant winner.
We never really die.

broodblik

Just a general question related to Johnny Alpha stories: after the final solution what was the next Alpha story to be publish, was it "The Kreeler Conspiracy"?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

I, Cosh

Quote from: broodblik on 26 July, 2021, 08:51:40 AM
Just a general question related to Johnny Alpha stories: after the final solution what was the next Alpha story to be publish, was it "The Kreeler Conspiracy"?
Unless you count Judgement Day, then yes. Full listings here: Strontium Dog on Barney.
We never really die.

broodblik

Thanks Cosh, so I only then have The Kreeler Conspiracy and Roadhouse missing on my quest to read all that is Alpha

Magnetica

Don't have a great recollection of either of these. I tend not to like stories where the protagonists are trapped in a series of rooms or worlds, even if it is just a plot device. Or should that be because it's a plot device?

So I'm going for Shaggy Dog Story.

Barrington Boots

I'm also going for Shaggy Dog Story. It's far more memorable than Roadhouse, which I didn't think was amazing, and it's also far more fun.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Dark Jimbo

Shaggy Dog Story is... fine. But it's one joke stretched much too far, and not hugely memorable as a story. And such a damp squib of an ending - [spoiler]after all that, Alpha has to just let the villain go?! [/spoiler]

Roadhouse was the first long-form Strontium Dog Story I read in its entirety, and made me go 'Ah, okay. I get it.' Oodles of fun, stuffed full of distinct characters, and in glorious black and white. It's Journey into Hell done right.
@jamesfeistdraws

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Leigh S

See, that ending is one of the many things I love about Shaggy Dog story - Roadhouse is fine and all, but Shaggy Dog is what I wanted from the flashbacks in terms of world building (as opposed to RH's literal worldS building!) - Shaggy Dog Story

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 26 July, 2021, 11:12:45 AM
Shaggy Dog Story is... fine. But it's one joke stretched much too far, and not hugely memorable as a story. And such a damp squib of an ending - [spoiler]after all that, Alpha has to just let the villain go?! [/spoiler]

Roadhouse was the first long-form Strontium Dog Story I read in its entirety, and made me go 'Ah, okay. I get it.' Oodles of fun, stuffed full of distinct characters, and in glorious black and white. It's Journey into Hell done right.

Funt Solo

Quote from: I, Cosh on 26 July, 2021, 08:54:47 AM
Quote from: broodblik on 26 July, 2021, 08:51:40 AM
Unless you count Judgement Day, then yes. Full listings here: Strontium Dog on Barney.

Plus a couple of Specials as well - see the new A-Z listing.

---

Roadhouse gets my vote.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Rogue Judge

I like the B&W art of Roadhouse (with bits of red lettering for some reason) but prefer the humorous Shaggy Dog Story.

Want to see Wulf bald? Look no further...just glad a bald Gronk wasn't in this one. My eyes couldn't handle what is happening under that fur.

broodblik

Quote from: broodblik on 26 July, 2021, 07:06:22 AM
I can not believe this, I have not read Roadhouse. So I will abstain from voting this round

Just read it so here is my vote: Shaggy Dog Story