Main Menu

100 Greatest Games Of All Time

Started by Goaty, 29 May, 2009, 07:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

QuoteAnd close on the 2nd place is Final Fantasy VII. It's the best FF game around

except it isn't that honour goes to Final fantasy VI

Mike Gloady

It's all a matter of taste.  But in terms of series, I think FF & MGS have to have a place.  Although back in the day I was a huge fan of Last Ninja and Elite.  They don't make 'em like that anymore.

And my favourite ff games, whilst I loved VII & VI (in that order) would have to be X or VIII
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

ThryllSeekyr

Quoteby TordelBack on Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:47 am
Having noted that Elite wasn't in the top ten, I judged that it was not my kind of list and stopped reading.

That must be recent listing.

Quoteby Judge Man on Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:54 am
TordelBack wrote:Having noted that Elite wasn't in the top ten, I judged that it was not my kind of list and stopped reading.

What kind of game is Elite? An FPS?

In a way, techically it is. But it's more commonly known as a non-linear, space flight/combat and trader simulation. Famous for illusion of depth while in spaceflight and 3d vector graphic. One of the best. A award winner.

Quoteby TordelBack on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:28 pm
Ahh, the youth of today... Never to know the responsive roll of a Cobra Mk II, the welcome screech of an ECM, to experience the joy of running 30 tons of computers into a Tech Level 2 Anarchy, and to finally (FINALLY) buy that bloody Docking Computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_(computer_game)

Quoteby SamuelAWilkinson on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:53 pm
Cobra Mark III, you charlatan!

Even if you were playing the sequel(s), you could never fly a Cobra Mark II because, if memory serves, they didn't exist. Some fault with the prototype, or such.

Rumour has it that Elite 4 is due in the next few years. Criminy.

Without the Instruction manual or the Elite Wiki entry in front of me, that is beyond my knowledge for the time being....

Concerning your rumor. That game has been promiced for ages. There was supposed to be big fan based game that as indevepment. It supposed to be huge and I think they were trying for a online version as well. I'm not sure if it was closed down or down or was last time I checked. I 'm not sure if the one your talking about is the same or a offical relase. Now I think Elite Four is just vapour ware. I recall the offical sequel Frontier and regret never buying it. --Back in those days I didn't buy games as much I do now.--As it expanded on the original, yet I heard it was limited in other ways. You land on planets and without the tedious docking manuevors involving the orbital stations in the original game. Then there "First Encounters" which I haven't even seen, but it was suposed to be the most science/physics based game with it's newtonian laws and that why it was eventually recalled. It was so damn realistic, That it made the game unenjoyable, unplayable and incredibly buggy.     Since then, there have een a few version that youy could download and play on your PC and then now there there's Oolit. Which is seems likt much the Elite game fans have been waiting for. Despite downloading this one myself. I haven't played it enough or taken advantage of the MODS that add alot of variety and uniquiness. I haven't patient enought to use these however. I guess I have moved on from this game. More interested in the RTS's, MORG's Playstation games, like the GTA series and now I also playing Spore.  

Quoteby TordelBack on Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:02 pm
Au contraire, mon frere:

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Cobra_ ... 8Oolite%29

Yeah, yeah, it's a mod for the awesome time-vortex that is Oolite, and I'm wriggling before your infinitely superior

That explains your supposed inaccuracy, which wouldn't have been something I 'd even picked up on until Samuel Wilkinson did. Cobra Mark Two, or Mark Three. I wasn't even sure why Braben and Bell skipped over that one in their development of the game.

So ypou've been playing Oolite. Inotioced the MODs, some are pretty far featched. Have found the Orbotil Monastary? I was looking at and thinking if I had more patience. That Oolite game has turned out to be more interesting than I first realised.

Quoteby Judge Man on Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:44 am
TordelBack wrote:Ahh, the youth of today... Never to know the responsive roll of a Cobra Mk II, the welcome screech of an ECM, to experience the joy of running 30 tons of computers into a Tech Level 2 Anarchy, and to finally (FINALLY) buy that bloody Docking Computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_(computer_game)
Oh. That's it. Thanks for the info.
Honestly, this is only the first time I have heard this game. And as far as I read, it was released on 1984 so I didn't knew it. I was born in 1988.

Twenty one years, now I feel old.

Quoteby mikegloady on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:33 pm
It's all a matter of taste. But in terms of series, I think FF & MGS have to have a place. Although back in the day I was a huge fan of Last Ninja and Elite. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

And my favourite ff games, whilst I loved VII & VI (in that order) would have to be X or VIII

Another fan.

Just re-reading the Elite  Wikipdeia entry. I noticed that the gaming company Frontier Developments ( Headed by one of the former pair of developers for Elite. David Braben) are working on a game called The Ousider. Described as a emmercive game where the actions of the chracter you control changes the outcome of the gmae. Yeah, I think thsi has been done before, many times. Sound abit like the seeling picth for "Fable". But in thsi game you are in the real world as the CIA agent called -- would you beleive - Jameson. The same name used as the default Commander in Elite. Anyway, I wonder if this game might be more interesting despite my suspicians because because of obvious connection with Elite. Being amost innovotive game in it's own time itself.  

Anywa, right now. I am enjoying Spore. Although it's more for the sake of being able to very easily design stuff myself than actualley playing the game properly. I right in the middle of SPORECAST based aon a old but popular televsion show called "MASH" with Tents, jeeps, Choppers, Ambulance trucks, and U.F.O. shaped like a Flying Tin-Cap ( Army Helmet.). The choice of Spore/people creature was dificult. So, I decided to go with subject of the old MASh movie poster and call it symbolism. As it's not the type of game where you can create individual characters. I aimed for more abtract concept. Although as easy as I thought ot make buildings that look like those green tents they used.

I'm also playing alot of this game call " Disciples : Sacred Lands"" A not recent game, though they have made sequels for this. Which I have neglected to try finding, as I played demo for one these and was not that impressed. The original game still seems better. Anyway, it's turned based affaired Which is break form all the real time gaming. Set in a fantasy world known as the Sacred Lands, it was a battle for dominance between four races of the world of Nevendaar: The Empire (humans), the Mountain Clans (dwarves) the Legions of the Damned (demons), and the Undead Hordes (undead).

Souhnd slike a Warcaft clone and there are a few, but this game is good enough on it's own merits and it has nice art work. As each character, race, creature, underling and so on as it's own protrait.