Main Menu

Blake's 7 redux

Started by petemaskreplica, 24 April, 2008, 01:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemaskreplica

This story seems to crop up every few years, doesn't it? This time it's got Murdoch's filthy lucre behind it though.

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7364663.stm" target="_blank">Clicky

TordelBack

IMHO, Blake's 7 screams out for a good re-make, visors and bracelets and Gan and all - but will anyone really go for Firefly: The Next Generation?  

Perhaps more importantly, how long would we have to put up with that plank Blake before Avon could take his rightful place centre stage?

Goaty

Buddy

Surley this has got to be RTD's next project after Who...

I, Cosh

I will admit to not having seen more than 10 minutes of Blake's 7 since it was first on the telly, but I really can't imagine any potential remake having the required level of nastiness. That lot really hated each other, not like the cosy, backchat type hating of Firefly.
We never really die.

Floyd-the-k

Could be good. I loved the original B7 (only saw all of it last year, when I was a kiddy I saw the occasional episode and thought 'gosh, this is very adult'). I'm sure it will be remade because I think there's some kind of law of physics which stipulates that everything gets remade, include things that didn't deserve to be made in the first place (Lost in Space) and things that couldn't possibly be improved on (eg Bedazzled, Psycho).
   There's no reason why a remake couldn't be A Good Thing. RTD would be a prime candidate for directing it if he wanted the job.  I just hope they find an appropriately sexy/evil Servelan.  If it's rubbish I've got the original on dvd

Squidbot

Has anyone noticed that the new plot outline for Blake's 7 seems to be centred around a planet named "Nu Earth"?
Hello, what? Someone inform Milicom!
Read it here:

Link: http://www.b7media.com/blake_legacy.html" target="_blank">http://www.b7media.com/blake_legacy.html

Mardroid

It's an interesting coincidence this cropped up as I recently got the Blake 7 series 1 boxset from the library. I had seen the odd episode in the past, but never really go into it, but I thought I'd give it a chance along with a slice of Old who.

The Dr. Who story was good (City Of Death) and so far I'm 3 episodes int Blake 7 and I'm liking it a lot. (Effects are understandably dodgy, but the story actually is pretty good. Can't help thinking it's a great coincidence the alien ship turned up when it did... but then it's a coincidence that I've seen a couple of threads concerning this 2 days after grabbing the DVD as well. Coincidences happen all the time ;) )

I'm not really liking the idea of a new one... although I do prefer the new Galactica to the old one. I'll likely miss it anyway being on Sky 1 anyway. Still if it comes out on DVD I might give it a shot.

Mardroid

Actually, I just checked the second link and it looks like it's a kind of sequel after the previous show.

That's definitely a much better idea... I'm liking this now.

Bongo Jack

The second link makes it sound Buffy-inspired, so RTD might be a shoe-in.

Didn't Murdoch's cash pay for the first season of the new Battlestar Galactica when the Sci-Fi Channel (home of Flash Gordon) decided it was too expensive for them?  I seem to remember AICN yonks ago were laughing at the idea of a remake of BSG (this was before the show aired), and it was mentioned that SFC only managed to make the original miniseries by cannibalising all the Galactica sets from John Woo's (shelved) Lost In Space pilot, and the Cylons looked like humans to save money.  Thinking back, the big FX sequences were rather in short supply for a three-hour show, and the clumsy-looking Cylon robots were almost a post-production afterthought.  The first season had a cash influx from Sky for first-broadcast rights (SFC showing great faith in the show right from the off), and while people say "Look how the Battlestar remake turned out, this might be good!" a bit often about too many things (Flash Gordon, Knight Rider, Bionic Woman), it's possibly quite apt in this case.
Although Sky do make a lot of things with ex-Eastenders actors in them, too.  Maybe Leslie Grantham could be the new Blake?  I imagine being able to say "They framed me - I didn't murder anyone!" out loud would be a new experience for him.
Live forever or die trying