Main Menu

Artist wanted for one shoot horror comic.

Started by mrstu, 03 December, 2020, 11:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrstu

COMIC ARTISTS OF THE WORLD!

I'm looking for an artist for a 1 off 22 page horror comic, think across between Hellboy,Hellblazer and Fantastic Beasts. Back end pay and equal ownership, etc. If this sounds likes something you are someone who know, might be interested please dm me or drop me an email at stuperrins1@gmail.com

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Bolt-01

It basically means you get nothing unless the book sells an absolute stomm-load.

I've done a reasonable amount of back-end work, most of it for a publisher I've changed my mind about naming, and I've only ever had one payment in all the years since any of the books were made available in both print and digital.

Rough, back of a fag packet math leads me to think I got about 20p per page for lettering that book. The rest of them, nothing.

If you are going in with your eyes wide open, then this could be a good way to get a body of work under your belt to show to other publishers that you can deliver, but it isn't going to get you any more mousetraps in the short term.

Jim_Campbell

What Bolt said. Basically, no up-front page rate in exchange for a percentage of any notional profit. I've done a fair few of these over the years myself and, to the best of my recollection, only one has ever paid out... which is why I don't do them any more.

If you're at the stage in your career when having an actual book with your name on it is going to help you in terms of raising your profile and providing a 'calling card' to press into the hands of editors and other pros at cons (if we ever get to do those again) then a back-end deal has some merit.

However, you should definitely go in with the assumption that you'll get nothing but exposure from the project and treat any money (if some does materialise) as a pleasant surprise.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

Thanks, that's what I'd thought. To be honest I'd no intention of working on the book, but I have worked on a few 'exposure' projects and always regretted it. So i thought it best for the sake of anyone else getting involved to be clear about what's on offer here.

If anyone wants to work for exposure, knock yourself out, but just as long as it's clear that this is, in all likelihood, what you'll be getting here.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"