Main Menu

Festival: featuiring Grant, Wagner, Fabry, Quitely, Dillon and others

Started by Trout, 10 August, 2002, 09:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Sorry if this has been here before and I've missed it, but here's some info on the coming Moniaive Comics Festival, organised by Alan and Sue Grant to boost their local economy.

I also hope Sue Grant won't mind me cutting and pasting it here. Thought everyone would appreciate me passing it on, however.

BTW, some of you might think this is pretty far north to have a comics festival.
The Trout believes it is too far south! I want to go, but away down in the Borders? I'll need to see.

Anyone else interested? Looks great!

--------------------

PRESS RELEASE
FIRST TIME IN SCOTLAND - THE WORLD'S BIGGEST COMIC ARRIVES IN MONIAIVE

The World's Biggest Comic - created in 1999 for Comic Relief and auctioned off to benefit the charity Childline - has arrived in Moniaive, where it will feature as the main exhibition at the Second Moniaive Comics Festival which runs from Tuesday 3rd to Sunday 8th September.

The World's Biggest Comic features almost every famous British artist working in the field today including JOHN McCREA, STEVE DILLON, GLENN FABRY and SEAN PHILLIPS. The characters 'Art' and 'Killjoy' were designed by MARK BUCKINGHAM.

The panels of artwork can be admired individually or read in sequence as an ongoing story, making this a truly unique experience. The World's Biggest Comic will be on display at Moniaive Masonic Hall between the hours of 10.30am and 4pm each day of the festival.

Last year's festival was so successful, we have greatly expanded the range of guests, workshops, discussions and competitions with fabulous prizes. A
highlight will be the Comic Heroes Fancy Dress Parade with great prizes for the best costumes. On the night of Saturday 7th September we will host a ceilidh at the Craigdarroch Arms Hotel. Entry is free to all attendees.

Writers who will be present include: JOHN WAGNER, creator of Judge Dredd; FERG HANDLEY, writer of Commando Comics; ALAN GRANT, writer of Batman and
the new BBC Worldwide kid's series 'Ace Lightning and the Carnival of Doom.'

Artists confirmed to appear include GREG STAPLES, currently Britain's top comics painter; FRANK QUITELY, the Scot who illustrates the phenomenally successful X-Men comics; JON HAWARD who chronicles the monthly adventures of Spiderman; and CAM KENNEDY, internationally acclaimed for his Star Wars
comics.

Also present will be two editors who will review attendees' portfolios and scripts.

Every artist and writer will participate in discussions and workshops, ranging from 'How to Create a Superhero' to 'How to draw cartoons... instantly!' They will also be signing copies of fans' comics, and doing personal illustrations for anyone who asks... all for free.

Entry to the festival is only ?1, with FREE ENTRY to all children under the age of 11. Every attendee will be given a free comic book. All profits from the festival go towards village funds. Last year, we attracted more than 700 paying guests from all over Britain, and raised ?1,600, all of which has been ploughed back into Moniaive. The festival is also supported by GaelForce 2002.

STOP PRESS! The Spanish artist XUASUS has just onfirmed his appearance.
Originally a Judge Dredd artist, Xuasus now works as a special effects painter in the film industry.

Trout

Oh, I forgot.

Go to www.moniaive.com for more.

I can't do those link things. Anyone want to give me a quick tutorial?

- Trout

Trout

Oh sh*te. Fabry and Dillon aren't going. Silly Trout!

But there are lots of others. Frank Quitely makes it worthwhile alone, I reckon.

And a ceilidh? Any of you southern Squaxx experienced a proper one? Fine fun!

Here's a deal: If some people from the board go, The Trout will wear a kilt! (Hey, where are you going..?)

- McFish

eggonlegs

what have you got on under the kilt???

Trout

Well, I've got better legs than an egg.

- Trout

Slippery PD

Shouldnt that be Fins, I cant imagine a trout with legs, you majesty.

- Slippery_macjim

who will be wearing a kilt at his siters wedding in two weeks time.  :-)

W. R. Logan

>Anyone else interested? Looks great!

I'll be there.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Link: http://www.moniaive.com/" target="_blank">Moniaive Comics Festival

http://www.moniaive.com/Images/landscape2.JPG">

Tiplodocus

I was there last year and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Because of it's location it isn't mad busy so you get plenty of opportunity to chat to the writers and artists.  They are all very welcoming and polite and the panels are entertaining and informative.

And the village is in a nice location and all the locals were friendly.

As for the Ceilidh... it'll be marvellous.  I think Alan Grant is on record somewhere as saying that he's invited loads of people he likes so if no comic fans turn up they'll just have a big party!

"Is there anything worn under the kilt?"

"No, it's all in perfect working order..."

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Oddboy

Trouty:
Copy & paste the address (including all the http://www. rubbish) into the "Optional Link URL:" box below the message box & write something (anything) in the "Link Title:" box (this will be what the red letters that are the link will say).

Et voila!

Link: http://www.moniaive.com" target="_blank">Trout smells of fish!

Better set your phaser to stun.

Trout

Thanks, Oddboy. You're my hero!

- and I'm your supreme commander

Link: http://www.moniaive.com" target="_blank">Oddboy smells odd