Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

There are undoubtedly cringe moments in all the X Men films, but Wolverine is just wall to wall cringe from the off. Just bad, bad writing. I feared the worst when I saw Will.I.Am listed in the credits. Really crap pacing too - nothing is given any weight whatsoever, feels like someone has gone in a cut all of the establishing shots and pauses in the dialogue.

Some shockingly cheap-looking cgi too - I had to rewind the bit where Sabretooth tries to kill Logan with a load of spectacularly unrealistic looking cgi timber. Hilarious. That's the sort of cgi I hate - when it's totally pointless (would it have killed them to , you know, just shoot some actual falling logs?) and jarring.

Colin YNWA

Have to say I thought X-men 2 was the best of the lot. Much like the Spider-man films come to that.

radiator

Yeah X2 is great, whereas I think X1 suffers for having relatively poor action scenes, X2 got the balance right.

I still don't mind X3, it's clearly the weakest of the three, and is quite clumsy hack work in a lot of ways (it really short-changed the Phoenix story after the great tease at the end of X2), but I find it perfectly watchable.

Overall I'd say First Class is my favourite of the lot. It's not without it's problems, but it's just so enjoyable and probably has the best action set pieces of them all. Superb casting and soundtrack too, and the script is for the most part fresh, smart, funny and economical - its impressive how the whole thing doesn't collapse under the weight of all the characters and concepts at play.

El Chivo

Super Thanks for asking

This was great, just as fun as Kick-Ass but with a bit more emotional punch. The two leads are awesome.

Chi

bigjobs67

Loved the Ange Lee 'Hulk'. Not so much the second one.
'Overwhelming, I'm I not!

Durendal

Pete Wells

Finally watched The Losers last night on Lovefilm online. Nice, enjoyable fun.

SpetsnaZ99

The guy from losers "Jeffrey Dean Morgan" was in watchmen. I think he may have played a better Dredd
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

bigjobs67

I can see what you mean, but he seems a bit to sorta 'jolly', if that makes sense? Gotta have that flinty, granite hard look and feel you get offa Jim Baikies' stuff. Legend!!

Spikes

The Kill List. Well, just finished watching this film for the first time, and while i dont think it totally lives up to the hype (...how many films do?), its pretty darn good nonetheless. Thought Neil Maskell and Michael Smiley were good as the hitmen, with the banter between the two raising a smile and lightening the mood now and again.
Struan Rogers, suitabley creepy, also impressed as The Client. Yeah, the violence is a bit hard to take ( the Librarian scene), but all goes to maintaining the intense atmosphere.
The ending does feel slightly out of place, even thought there are clues to it throughout the film.
Liking (and equally frustrated by...) the fact that nothing is explained in any great detail, but thats how it should be. I guess most people can at least join up some of the dots themselves, and debate about the film is plentiful on the net. Another viewing beckons i think.
3.5/5

bigjobs67

Your gonna watch it again!!! Fair play to you mate. I thought once would be enough. Not that its a bad film, just creeped the life out of me, and that ending. Dang!!! Any fans of the film 'Primer'.

Spikes

Yeh another viewing is on the cards, but not today though, as its dark outside now  ;)

bigjobs67

Mardroid

Day of the Dead

The new version. I caught this on ITV on Demand.*  I say 'new version' rather than 'remake' because it's not much like the original film at all except from the fact it involves army personnel against zombies and [spoiler]an underground research bunker, but that didn't feature in this film until the end, and it's purpose was different.[/spoiler]  The credits stated that it was based on the screenplay from the original Romero film, but the story was rather different. Well... apart from essentially being [spoiler]a survival story against zombies[/spoiler], but the emphasis here was [spoiler]more on survival while the original was concerned with abuse of power.. along with survival of course[/spoiler].

At the start I thought it might be a typical film about a bunch of pretty teenagers being killed off, but it wasn't ([spoiler]although pretty teenagers do get killed off[/spoiler]). It wasn't all that original really, but I thought it was pretty good if not great. It's a shame it didn't have a different name rather than cashing in on the Romero classic.

And kudos for including a [spoiler]lovestruck vegetarian zombie[/spoiler] although I'd imagine that smegged off some viewers.

*Incidentally my On-Demand service has really been playing up lately. It keeps pausing in werid ways and making a clicking noise.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SpetsnaZ99 on 29 January, 2012, 05:05:20 PM
The guy from losers "Jeffrey Dean Morgan" was in watchmen. I think he may have played a better Dredd

Is he not a little too hot-blooded for Dredd?