Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

(cont) - it's that kind of film. A 'goosebumps' style exercise in testing children's ability to go without adults, that comfortably shows them how much they need grown-ups around. Even scary old malachi gets his arse kicked by the weedy hero, and has to lay on his back as said hero delivers a lecture on good and bad religions. In the end nothing of great import happens and all is well- the hero and his girl even adopt some cherubic munchkins, so the kid audience can see the american family at its most homely.

Despite being overlong and quite staggeringly badly directed in parts, there is something about CotC that will forever allow it shelfspace in my house. And now hopefully in my kids' houses one day too.

SBT

willthemightyW

The Raid. Thought it was bloody amazing! Hate to self pimp, but all my thoughts are in a review I wrote for kryptonianwarrior.com

http://www.kryptonianwarrior.com/2012/09/so-certain-emerald-knight-recently.html
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Richmond Clements

Berberian Sound Studio. I'd be interested in the opinions of our resident horror fans on this one, as it's about the sound man on an Italian horror movie. Very funny, very strange...

Judge Delboy

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 25 September, 2012, 10:29:48 PM
Berberian Sound Studio. I'd be interested in the opinions of our resident horror fans on this one, as it's about the sound man on an Italian horror movie. Very funny, very strange...
Still not got round to seeing this one yet, love Toby Jones & don't mind the odd Giallo

HdE

Saw LOCKOUT tonight, which was great fun until somebody told Guy Pearce to stick a needle in someone's eye. Cue me very nearly being sick.

Seriously, Hollywood - why do you put that revolting shit in your movies? I'll never watch this again.

Also, just saw HAYWIRE, which looked GREAT in trailers... but turned out to be one of the most ineptly made films I've ever seen. Utter crap. Really. Avoid it like the plague. I cannot believe how noticeably the makers have struggled to fill the 89 minute runtime. We literally get long, long shots of people crossing teh road, reversing their car, walking down corridors... ugh.

A shame, as I think Gina Carano could do well in movies. But only if she gets a better vehicle than this lame duck.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

JamesC

I quite liked Haywire - and it had a good soundtrack.

mygrimmbrother

Been really looking forward to this one. So you'd recommend it Rich?

Richmond Clements

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 26 September, 2012, 10:56:55 AM

Been really looking forward to this one. So you'd recommend it Rich?

On balance yes, I would. The final act is a bit... strange and the end is a bit sudden, but it certainly works within the context of what has been set up before hand. It is also very funny in places.

Greg M.

I saw this recently (in a near-empty cinema) – very interesting and stylish film, with an original central conceit and with lots of little touches for the fan of Italian horror (the black gloves working the projector, various nods of the head to 'Suspiria', the fantastic opening titles to 'The Equestrian Vortex' and even apparently a reference to 'Death Laid An Egg' – not a film I've personally encountered, but it sounds suitably insane.)  Toby Jones is excellent, and I also found it extremely funny at points, particularly the appearances of Massimo & Massimo (the bit with [spoiler]the high heels[/spoiler] was superb.) I felt the first half was stronger than the second – I liked [spoiler]the notion that Gilderoy becomes increasingly troubled and the world of film and reality starts to blur[/spoiler], but I also felt as if the movie was building up to something that never quite arrived. The end seemed a bit abrupt to me too, but I did come away thinking I would like to watch it again.

I, Cosh

Quote from: jaylcookie on 25 September, 2012, 11:08:31 PM
Still not got round to seeing this one yet, love Toby Jones & don't mind the odd Giallo
I missed this at the pictures. The subject matter didn't appeal that much but I really liked his first film, Katalin Varga, which had a pretty interesting, off-kilter vibe.

Oh, and Haywire was great. Confidence to let the characters breathe and that the audience can follow the overlapping storylines without having everything explained to them and action scenes which, when they come, are also given space to play out.
We never really die.

Mudcrab

I enjoyed Haywire too, thought it was a lot better than it appeared to be in trailers. Sorry HdE, looks like I won't be going by your opinions  ;)

Last film I didn't bother to watch - Machine Gun Preacher. Hoping for some Avengers in this week's lovefilm lottery!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

JamesC

The Darkest Hour which had Olivia Thirlby in it.

Not bad I suppose - one of those zombie type films where they substitute the zombies for some other menace. In this case the threat was a load of electrical aliens that were almost invisible. The initial scenes of invasion were the best bit and the aliens ethereal quality made them seem like a pretty unique creature design.
This was undermined by later scenes where the aliens seemed like much more generic chasey monsters.
Worth a watch if you're in the mood for a bit of light fluff.

Mudcrab

Ugh. Also, if I can just express my disgust at some arsehole on lovefilm. Was going to chuck Never Let Me Go on my list and made the HUGE mistake of looking down the list of reviews. Some hugely inconsiderate, bottom-feeding scumbag posted a one liner basically saying it was shit and describing what the whole film was about. So that'll be pointless now I guess. It's like bloody Homer on his way out of Empire  ::)
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

HdE

Quote from: Mudcrab on 26 September, 2012, 12:40:10 PM
I enjoyed Haywire too, thought it was a lot better than it appeared to be in trailers. Sorry HdE, looks like I won't be going by your opinions  ;)

Nah, that's cool. Diff'rent strokes an' all that. Although I would say that for me, the exact opposite was true - great trailer, crap movie.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Mardroid

Frankline.

I saw it on Film 4 last night. What a strange film! It's a while since I've seen a film so thought provoking. I imagine some viewers may find it slow and pretentious, but I liked it a lot. Not so much one story but three (or is it four) one of which wouldn't be out of place in 2000 AD, [spoiler]although they tie together in the end. Essentially an exploration of belief and reality in an intelligent way.[/spoiler]  The fantasy city and it's culture was particularly interesting.

One, I might pick up on DVD or Blu-ray at some point as I'm sure there's bits I missed.

Incidentally they seem to be doing an Eva Green thing on Film 4 at the moment as they're showing the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven right now. (She's quite a dark weird person in Frankline by the way.) I've seen the original and I was curious to see this as I've heard it's much better. I have to admit I haven't really been paying attention to it though.