Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 22 July, 2013, 05:41:14 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 22 July, 2013, 04:46:03 PMNicholson's Joker is more like the old gangster character of the silver age rather than the psychotic sociopath we've known since Alan Moore's Killing Joke;

As others have pointed out, Nicholson's Joker is just Frank Gorshin's take on the Riddler from the 1966 Batman tv show, right down to the psychotic and murderous mood-swings.

I've heard the same but hey, everything is new to someone - particularly the 7 year old I was in 1994 when I got to watch Batman for the first time.

Bubba Zebill

Perhaps it's been covered but last night I watched 'Magic' (1978) here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u63IS4DiVEA

I thought it was brilliant.

IMDB - MAGIC
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077889/combined
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

TordelBack

Quote from: Mister Pops on 22 July, 2013, 05:54:59 PM
I still maintain that the 1966 version of Batman is the best live action Batman there's ever been. Batman: The Movie is a thing of pure joy.

It really is.  I find it impossible not to watch it if it's on, the wonderful straight faces with which West and Ward confront the insanity that is plot and script are a genuine achievement, somehow imbuing farce with drama.  Just plain fun, and streets ahead of Batman & sequels or Batman Begins (haven't seen the other two).

Professor Bear

I recall when Batman & Robin came out - by which I mean when it was released into theaters - a lot of very harsh reviews were throwing "they've just made an updated version of the 1960s show!" at it as an insult, and I wasn't sure why until I remembered that for a lot of people who take things too seriously, it came as news at some point - if they ever actually found out - that Batman '66 was not supposed to be taken seriously.  "Submarines are at sea - and C is for Catwoman!"
My favorite story about the show is Frank Gorshin's tale of how he took West to his first proper Hollywood party and introduced him to cocaine, only for West to spend the night running naked around the party in character as Batman referring to Gorshin only as "Riddler" and trying to start fights.  Said Gorshin of the evening: "after that, Adam wasn't really invited to any more orgies."

Dandontdare

I can't remember who pointed it out, but wasn't the climax of Dark Knight returns essentially an homage to the 66 movie? - "some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb"

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 July, 2013, 03:44:09 PM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 22 July, 2013, 05:54:59 PM
I still maintain that the 1966 version of Batman is the best live action Batman there's ever been. Batman: The Movie is a thing of pure joy.

It really is.  I find it impossible not to watch it if it's on, the wonderful straight faces with which West and Ward confront the insanity that is plot and script are a genuine achievement, somehow imbuing farce with drama. 

Commisioner Gordon delivers some of the best lines in the movie "Penguin, Joker, Riddler... and Catwoman, too! The sum of the angles of that rectangle is too monstrous to contemplate!"

Not to mention the absolute glee the rogues gallery of villains take in carrying out their ludicrous schemes. Those guys bloody love being evil.
You may quote me on that.

Charlie boy

Quote from: Dandontdare on 23 July, 2013, 04:42:10 PM
I can't remember who pointed it out, but wasn't the climax of Dark Knight returns essentially an homage to the 66 movie? - "some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb"
Charlie Brooker made the reference on his End of Year Wipe.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Mister Pops on 23 July, 2013, 04:58:22 PM
Commisioner Gordon delivers some of the best lines in the movie "Penguin, Joker, Riddler... and Catwoman, too! The sum of the angles of that rectangle is too monstrous to contemplate!"
My favourite line from the 60s Batman film is when someone knocks Robin (or was it Batman?) while he is holding members of the UN in test tubes (they have been dehydrated into dust). Robin exclaims: "Holy almost, Batman!"

If you look at the last line of this link you will see a very interesting and no doubt famous quotation from a Batman 60s episode:
http://adamwest.tripod.com/misc.htm

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 23 July, 2013, 04:11:13 PM
I recall when Batman & Robin came out - by which I mean when it was released into theaters -

:lol:

Professor Bear

"Careful - every one of 'em's got a mother."

Frank

Aye, another vote for '66. Not in some ironic, contrarian way, but because it's the best realised version of all the films so far. All the rest are either outright shite or films which are only partially successful on their own terms.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: sauchie on 23 July, 2013, 09:13:41 PM

Aye, another vote for '66. Not in some ironic, contrarian way, ...

Liking something ironically is the worst. I find people who ironically like the things I like more tiresome than people who hate the things I like.
You may quote me on that.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Mister Pops on 23 July, 2013, 09:23:14 PM
Quote from: sauchie on 23 July, 2013, 09:13:41 PM

Aye, another vote for '66. Not in some ironic, contrarian way, ...

Liking something ironically is the worst. I find people who ironically like the things I like more tiresome than people who hate the things I like.

^^This. I really don't get it at all... I mean - watching shit movies ironically? Do they read shit books and listen to shit music in the same fashion?
Life's too short for that...

Frank

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 23 July, 2013, 10:08:19 PM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 23 July, 2013, 09:23:14 PM

^^This. I really don't get it at all... I mean - watching shit movies ironically? Do they read shit books and listen to shit music in the same fashion? Life's too short for that...

If youz want a square go with Pro Bear, just say so.

Richmond Clements

QuoteIf youz want a square go with Pro Bear, just say so.

He's for Cookstown... Cookstown... I see no threat...