Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recrewt

I know what you mean about AVP Requiem pictsy.  Out of the two AVPs, that is the one I would be more likely to watch.  The setting is better (reminds me of Racoon City from the Resident Evil games).  I also like how it is darker but the main complaint would be that it is not really an aliens or predator movie but just a monster movie - they could be zombies, giant spiders, etc 

The Predalien was a nice touch and agree that the scene you mentioned was especially well done. 

pictsy

Quote from: Recrewt on 19 November, 2013, 11:43:19 AM
...the main complaint would be that it is not really an aliens or predator movie but just a monster movie - they could be zombies, giant spiders, etc 

Agreed.  I think the film would have suffered if it hadn't had been AvP because a lot of what holds it together as a reasonable monster movie is the excellent design of the Aliens and Predator.

If the good qualities of both films were combined and the bad qualities ditched and if it was set in the future and not on Earth (as it bloody well should have been!!! grrrrrrrr), then we'd be on our way to a good Aliens and/or Predator film.  Only problem with this kind of venture is studio interference and executives with dollar signs tattooed onto their eyeballs.

BTW When we hit page 400 of this thread are we going to have a party or are we saving it for page 500?

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Recrewt on 19 November, 2013, 11:43:19 AM
The Predalien was a nice touch and agree that the scene you mentioned was especially well done.

if it's the one I am thinking about, I found it lumpenly literal.

(Though my memory does fade and these days, I don't have the time to re-watch a film I don't like four or five times to confirm whether I just don't like it or actively hate it).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Recrewt

Not sure I really understand what 'lumpenly literal' is Tips.  It was certainly a dark and unpleasant scene but I felt it really conveyed how horrific this creature was and was executed very well using things like the curtains to hide it.  It's also the first time I really twigged the size of the thing.

That said. I quite like the horror genre and have seen plenty of dark and gory stuff.  Never done me any harm. *twitch* *twitch*

pictsy

A point to be made.  As bad as these films are, they aren't unwatchable.  That is certainly a bonus.  These usually get filled away in my "brainrot" category for when I want to have a film on in the background I can ignore for the most part or when I just don't want to think about what I am watching too much.

Brainrot constitutes a huge chunk of my cinematic viewing.  I think this is mostly because 1) I like watching films and 2) very good quality to excellent quality films are comparatively rare. 

Tiplodocus

I was thinking about the whole thing of having an alien erupting [spoiler]from a pregnant woman[/spoiler]. If my memory serves me right? That did happen, didn't it?  It wasn't enough that in ALIEN you had a phallic shaped alien bursting from the War Doctor's chest? No, just to ram the point home, [spoiler]they did it with a pregnant woman.[/spoiler]

Like I say, apologies if I'm mis-remembering things.

Wasn't meaning to get at you re: movie watching habits. It was more a comment on my own changed habits.

I understand the need for brainrot movies (I'm currently watching the RESIDENT EVILS for which I have a soft spot) but AVP-R and Predators don't fall into that category for me. I didn't like them and have no soft spot for them. (Happilly watch PREDATOR 2 or the first AVP when they are on though).  Similarly, I'm not going to waste my time watching PROMETHEUS again.

Funny thing is though, thirty years ago, I'd have time to watch it loads of times just to make sure it was shite.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

pictsy

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 19 November, 2013, 04:39:27 PM
Wasn't meaning to get at you re: movie watching habits.

I didn't assume you were, but what you said did make me think of it and I felt like sharing with the class ;)

The original Alien was certainly based on a concept of male rape.  IIRC the creator has gone on record as saying so.  All the sexual imagery and symbolism is one of the great aspects.  If we are to think that AvP Requiem's scene with the [spoiler]pregnant women[/spoiler] is a continuation of that, then yes, it's trite. 

Personally I didn't see Requiem striving for such depth.  My interpretation of the scene was that it was more along the lines of body horror and it was played for shock value.  Indeed they used the alien pregnancy trope as the basis of it, which is established Alien lore so it's use makes some sort of sense.  Each to their own, I guess.  It's proper gruesome though.  Had me twitching in disgust ;)

Anywho, we all have our preferred flavours of brainrot.  I don't think I'd watch Prometheus again.  Just as I wouldn't watch The Transformers or it's awful sequel again (never saw the third one, learnt my lesson - a little late, but it was learnt!).

Unfortunately I have viewed the film I regard as The Worst Film I Have Ever Seen twice.  I was forced to view it a second time because of social etiquette.  It wasn't better the second time.  And just because you laugh at how bad it is, that does not make it good.  It just makes it laughably bad.  Which is a bad thing.  Badbadbadbad *twitch*  Sorry, had a flashback.

Recrewt

Yeah, I didn't get any 'having a go' vibe from you either Tips.

I agree that in AVPR the scene in question is done for shock but also I think it is one of expediency.  The predalien is a slightly different species but they clearly decided to get as many aliens on screen as quickly as possible so they would [spoiler]do without the eggs and facehuggers and replace this with using pregnant women.[/spoiler]

As I said before - I don't mind the odd shocking scene in movies but ultimately,[spoiler] is there a nice way to be impregnated by an alien?[/spoiler]   :o

GrinningChimera

Big Butt Attack 10 - staring Nikki Sun and Gina Blue.

If you haven't seen this movie, do yourself a favour and see it. It is very well put together and the plot is constantly evolving into a deeper shade of creepiness. At times scary (not in the horror movie sense) and quite rich in dark humour, this is one of those movies that gives you a weird felling inside even an hour after its over. The music is quite appropriate and unlike Scarface, is timeless. The camera work is usually quite basic but whoever directed the photography had the enjoyable habit of giving us interestingly artistic segways between scenes. This is the first film so far that I've given a 10 out of 10. I was going to give it a 9, but I couldn't think of a reason to take any points from perfect. 

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: pictsy on 19 November, 2013, 05:07:32 PM
Unfortunately I have viewed the film I regard as The Worst Film I Have Ever Seen twice.  I was forced to view it a second time because of social etiquette.  It wasn't better the second time.  And just because you laugh at how bad it is, that does not make it good.  It just makes it laughably bad.  Which is a bad thing.  Badbadbadbad *twitch*  Sorry, had a flashback.

And that was.....?  C'mon, don't leave us hanging here man!
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

NapalmKev

Unfortunately I have viewed the film I regard as The Worst Film I Have Ever Seen twice. 

It wasn't 'The Video Dead' was it? Christ alive that is without doubt the worst film I've ever seen. Although 'Shaolin Vs Evil Dead' is a very close second.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

pictsy

Quote from: Recrewt on 19 November, 2013, 05:21:18 PM
As I said before - I don't mind the odd shocking scene in movies but ultimately,[spoiler] is there a nice way to be impregnated by an alien?[/spoiler]   :o

[spoiler]When it is between two consenting adults[/spoiler] :)

I'm not sure if I should name the film.  It may encourage you lot to go and watch it to see how bad it is.  I don't think I could live with myself.  It would be like distributing that film that appears in Ring!  I don't want any [spoiler]vengeful well women without finger nails scaring you to death![/spoiler]

Greg M.

Inevitably, it will be someone on this forum's favourite film. Violet and bloody recriminations will follow. But go on!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: NapalmKev on 19 November, 2013, 05:34:49 PM
Unfortunately I have viewed the film I regard as The Worst Film I Have Ever Seen twice. 

It wasn't 'The Video Dead' was it? Christ alive that is without doubt the worst film I've ever seen. Although 'Shaolin Vs Evil Dead' is a very close second.

Cheers
I actually quite like The Video Dead. Oh yes, it's awful, but it has an air of dark satire about it that really makes it quite hard to take seriously. Well, I enjoyed it enough to buy the recent BD double feature with the vastly superior Terrorvision.

Greg M.

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 19 November, 2013, 07:30:07 PM
Well, I enjoyed it enough to buy the recent BD double feature with the vastly superior Terrorvision.

Oh, did Video Dead get a DVD release at last? Hurrah! To Amazon!