Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satanist

Quote from: The Cosh on 23 February, 2016, 09:18:15 PM
I thought the Stallone Dredd film was sponsored by Hershey's Kisses.

Bravo!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Goaty

Colin YNWA

Well after some conversation here I got my hands on Django Unchained my Tarrantino film order needs some revision to find that movie some space towards the top. Damn at times it was hard to watch but boy was it a great movie. He does give good movie that Quentin, very good movie.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 26 February, 2016, 10:07:29 PM
Well after some conversation here I got my hands on Django Unchained my Tarrantino film order needs some revision to find that movie some space towards the top. Damn at times it was hard to watch but boy was it a great movie. He does give good movie that Quentin, very good movie.

I still think that film might have been inspired Red Dead Redemption, but with the personal character story, unless John Marston meets someone like him in his travels. Another game I never completed. I winder if Quentin played that?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 27 February, 2016, 02:07:19 AM

I still think that film might have been inspired Red Dead Redemption, but with the personal character story, unless John Marston meets someone like him in his travels. Another game I never completed. I winder if Quentin played that?
No, no it wasnt.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 27 February, 2016, 02:07:19 AM

I keep leaving important words out, might have been inspired by that game, but based on another character that he might have met in his travels. Despite the fantasy elements like, Death (That guy in the top hat!), and riding his horse and Unicorn. That may be in Undead Knightmare.

Yeah, I understand you Hawkmonger. Yet, I haven't played the entire game.

Big_Dave

In 2007, Tarantino discussed an idea for a type of Spaghetti Western set in the United States' pre-Civil War Deep South. He called this type of film "a southern", stating that he wanted "to do movies that deal with America's horrible past with slavery and stuff but do them like spaghetti westerns, not like big issue movies.

I want to do them like they're genre films, but they deal with everything that America has never dealt with because it's ashamed of it, and other countries don't really deal with because they don't feel they have the right to."[4]

Tarantino later explained the genesis of the idea: "I was writing a book about Sergio Corbucci when I came up with a way to tell the story. ... I was writing about how his movies have this evil Wild West, a horrible Wild West. It was surreal, it dealt a lot with fascism. So I'm writing this whole piece on this, and I'm thinking: 'I don't really know if Sergio was thinking [this] while he was doing this. But I know I'm thinking it now. And I can do it!' "[5]

Tarantino finished the script on April 26, 2011, and handed in the final draft to The Weinstein Company.[6] In October 2012, frequent Tarantino collaborator RZA said that he and Tarantino had intended to cross over Django Unchained with RZA's Tarantino-presented martial-arts film The Man with the Iron Fists. The crossover would have seen a younger version of the blacksmith character from RZA's film appear as a slave in an auction. However, scheduling conflicts prevented RZA's participation.[7]

One inspiration for the film is Corbucci's 1966 spaghetti western Django, whose star Franco Nero has a cameo appearance in Django Unchained.[8] Another inspiration is the 1975 film Mandingo, about a slave trained to fight other slaves.[9] Tarantino included scenes in the snow as a homage to The Great Silence.[10] "Silenzio takes place in the snow. I liked the action in the snow so much, Django Unchained has a big snow section in the middle," Tarantino said in an interview.[10]

The title Django Unchained alludes to the titles of the 1966 Corbucci film Django; Hercules Unchained, the American title for the 1959 Italian epic fantasy film Ercole e la regina di Lidia, about the mythical hero's escape from enslavement to a wicked master; and to Angel Unchained, the 1970 American biker film about a biker exacting revenge on a large group of rednecks.[11][12]

Colin YNWA

As a librarian I feel compelled to add the following to Big Dave's message below.

Bibliography

Wikipedia.org, 2016: Django Unchained; https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_Unchained [site visited 27/02/16]

Other referencing systems are available.

ThryllSeekyr

I tried watching E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial again this morning, but had to bail when I couldn't handle the Alien's silly squealing and couldn't actually recall at what exact point in the film this happened, but I got up from my chair switched the whole thing off. Not that I hate the film, I loved it and the original novel ( Which I read before seeing the film initially!) I think I've grown weary of  what first got me hooked into film that like Close Encounters of the Third Kind showed another inside to U.F.O. films that focus on the dark side of encounters with E.T.. These days that thing looks more rubbery & animatronic than usual. Yet, I'm still impressed by the mood lighting out side and inside the family house where lot of the film happens and the sky effects, the clouds. Stuff like that. The bloke who was behind all that. I'm not sure if he's retired now, because I don't see almost at all in the films of today.

Unless someone here wants correct me on that?

Somethings that became more apparent to me as I got older.....

The full title of the film is a bit of a mouthful. I'm not sure how it ever became a house hold name.

The opening scene where we find this shiny black ship shaped like a orb with spike on top & festooned with portholes & lights around it's circumference. (I found out later that the ship is really has  highly reflective silver or chrome covering & that it only appeared to be dark because wer'e only seeing this at night! It's reflecting the dark around it!) At closer inspection, I notice the ship seems more common...something about it's design that leads me to believe how could such a nature loving load of critters have built such a thing on their own. They appear to be so concerned with collecting plants samples. I have to assume that they're kind are not working alone. There had to be a another party on board & more concerned with matter of the ship. I know this is narrow mindedness on my part that these Extra-Terran farmers would not be that multi-skilled or a smaller part of a caste system where they are delegated to harvesting/collecting/care of alien flora. (I just got this notion of the harvesting/collecting/care 2000AD magazine. The type of Alien I might be....). Yet, it did built a transmitter, from the partial innards of a Speak N Spell, a record player, U.H.F. box, a circular saw, a fork, wires, umbrella, some power source that might have been a car battery.) While at first it never occurred to me that they're appearance (Which now seems.....) adverse to how much more advanced they are than Earth-folk  or supposed to be. They're obviously all telepathic & most likely a so common racial trait that is as common to them as us having genitalia. Of which they don't to seem have any. I later learnt (From some related reference book that was published along with all the other 30th Anniversary stuff.) that it's half plant/half creature which gave me mental images of them growing from pods, like peas. Photosynthesis.) Maybe some sort of aboreal limbs, amphibian parts are grafted onto what started life as a root vegetable. Maybe it doesn't have a individual intelligence, but this advanced hive mind without which it's just a child really. I guess. The heart light that seems to glow when they using or obeying some unforseen telepathy  signal or that's communicate, yet they still use their animal mouths. Maybe verbal use or communication for them is just for nonsense or privacy & later on in the film talking to the Earth-Children.  They do the heart light thing in unison. Maybe that's also masturbation for them. The Sectoids from X-Com do the same while using their mind powers. Yet, they're heads glow as well. Maybe it's extra luggage compartment for information. I think that what is thought to be they're heart light might be they brain light going into thought overload. 

Does anybody recall that related work of music by Neil Diamond about a Heart -Light that was obviously his tribute to the little fellow.

I assume it's a guy, because of the lack of breasts, then I remember it's not really mammalian & those eyes seem very feminine. Yet in more than reptilian ways.   

Did I mention the telescopic neck. It seems almost obscene watching it use that in front of the children. Obviously good for spying & to make up for it's lack of statue. Maybe what appears to be they're head it's a part added later when their alien masters needed their slaves to be more autonomous. Cut off the head & they may still live, but without sight for awhile. Until they get hungry. Where does it come from?  Another world or laboratory. Maybe in a far away galaxy or some secret facility here. Because I also thought about the possibility of them being a design of the far east, or the Russians or Mexico to spy on America. Yet this doesn't explain the weird flora aboard their ship. Maybe that was the result of some weird experimentation as well. If they really did come from another world in another far off galaxy & due to their small statue. A much larger high gravity one (I'm aware we have small creatures here too!). Possibly festooned with towering trees, (Maybe not on a high-gravity world!) & lots of swampland. Because of their frog-feet & gills. (If it breathes at all!) They might live like the Gungan's on a world of entirely water and mostly water. (After gaming sessions from Subnautical.) The ocean is as much place for plants and maybe even more so or a desert or dying world that desperately needed them to go out find life any kind of life. Plants are needed for that too.

That glowing finger. It's seems weird that it's got only one of those, but perhaps that's all it needs and to heal anything. So, it's has it's own built in first-aid kit. Not that they appear violent (Now, I'm getting mental images of similar creatures from that Galaxy Quest movie. The ones that seemed cute at first, until one of the crew got too close to them.

I think they're like the Greys who like to abduct people & experiment on them & possibly drop them on alien world to perhaps thrive or left to die for their prosperity. Except the E.T.s or whatever they're called (I'll get to that soon....) do this with plants and in this case more like plant doctors rather than scientists who are so far high up the food chain they consider us to be microbes to them.

If you read or have read the sequel novelisation you'd find a lot few answering questions surrounding the original film . [spoiler]They have a home world & they use worm-hole tech to get there in less time than you would think. The place is a green world & even goes by that nick name.... the Green Planet. It has many other names & some of them sounding ridiculous. As they do as well and the place every bit as much as might expect covered in all forms of flora & fauna. They're houses are have been hollowed out of oversized gourds. The furniture is grown using lichen as light source. This seems so wrong to me, I might be glad that a actual sequel had never been attempted. Except, I'm not completely sure about that.

They're ships only appear to be made from some shiny metal, but are really oversized turnips combined with crystals & living metals. Silly right![/spoiler]

I'm about to try watching the film again.

Goaty

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Goaty on 28 February, 2016, 01:53:28 AM
Eh?!

Pretty much what it says and best explained if you actually read it. I could go on to explain those aliens might have been more of problem if small groups of them were airdropped into the farming communities to bring and spread wide ecological damage to their crops. I assume they could do that, you know.   

TordelBack

QuoteIt's reflecting the dark around it!

All you SF short story scribblers, grab your Paddy Power pencils and write this one.

Hey TS, you know ET's people had a senate seat in the Congress of the Galactic Republic?

ThryllSeekyr

It's the reflecting the night?

That was Grebleips. Which is Spielberg spelt backwards. Naturally.  (Not in the picture below, that is just his trio of Aids!)

He was arrested on charges of conspiracy and treason for plotting with the Jedi Order to remove Palpatine from office.

I see the Star Wars Wiki have changed their entry or upgraded it stating they are now called Asogian and that's from the name of their planet
Brodo-Asogi which is on the outer rim in a galaxy far far away.

As for the time being long ago, may be it wasn't since Grebleips might have been funding that expedition that had our Earth as one of it's stops just before the Clone Wars or maybe, that was a different expedition. Since they say he was might have been shut down before it happened.

Those names all come from the Return to the Green Planet which is what those words translate to.  Green Planet and Children of the Green Planet.

JamesC

The ET sequel sounds absolutely bonkers - I may have to read it!

ThryllSeekyr

It is, it might make a great graphic novel. As it was, there is storybook with some illustrations, which found interesting and a large pocket sized novel.