Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Quote from: Dandontdare on 29 October, 2021, 09:54:49 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 29 October, 2021, 01:33:47 AM

Stargirl. I should have disliked this because it's full of duff - but I really enjoyed it.

It is irredeemably and unquestionably terrible, but I too can't stop watching. All the teens are such self-absorbed dicks and the resolutions would be so simple if they ever just fucking talked to each other, but the villains are quite fun. I liked the obsessively proud murder-parents best.

It looks like this is the trend with all shows that feature teenagers; disrespect, indiscipline, we know better.  But yes I also enjoy it better than the other drivel CW is putting out there
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

repoman

I'm rewatching House of Fools.  It's a lot of fun.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: broodblik on 29 October, 2021, 10:02:52 AM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 29 October, 2021, 09:54:49 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 29 October, 2021, 01:33:47 AM

Stargirl. I should have disliked this because it's full of duff - but I really enjoyed it.

It is irredeemably and unquestionably terrible, but I too can't stop watching. All the teens are such self-absorbed dicks and the resolutions would be so simple if they ever just fucking talked to each other, but the villains are quite fun. I liked the obsessively proud murder-parents best.

It looks like this is the trend with all shows that feature teenagers; disrespect, indiscipline, we know better.  But yes I also enjoy it better than the other drivel CW is putting out there

Our Grandson loves watching SAM AND CAT. They are TERRIBLE human beings.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Link Prime

Halfway through Season 2 of Locke & Key.
It's an improvement, acting-wise at least, on the first very uneven season, but still not clicking with me.
It just all seems a bit too convenient, for lack of a better word that I can't be bothered Googling.

I really love the comic series, and do enjoy seeing certain elements play out on screen, such as the 'Giant' spider and Head Key, but can't see myself ever re-watching it.

repoman

New Dexter then.

I thought it was going to be dark and rugged because of the setting but it felt a bit twee, like Resident Alien.

I don't think it's going to be the one.

Also [spoiler]I'll be amazed if his son isn't some sort of whiney emo liability kid for the whole series.[/spoiler]

pictsy

I have just finished watching the entirety of Stargate SG-1.

It's got issues, but it's main story arc blunders along nicely to wrap up with a very satisfying conclusion.  And then it carried on for two more seasons and just abruptly ended.  Do I watch the TV movies that finish off the story with the incredibly boring Ori?

I think SG1 is a great test of ones ability to suspend disbelief.  It is so utterly ridiculous.  Almost everything.  Start to finish.  Idiotic.  Not great sci-fi, barely any good ideas done well, a real problem with escalating the stakes, deus ex machinas every other episode etc. etc.  Still, I had a blast watching it.  It is irreverent and silly and mostly fails when it tries to be serious.  It's best when it uses meta humour and there are times it's clear it's self aware enough.

Nevertheless, when they try and go serious they make bad decisions, one of which led to a character being written out for a cheap "we want to show the stakes are real" death.  It's really bad, it's really dumb, it's really unnecessary and I feel sorry for the actress who essentially got fired for it to happen.  They thought they weren't being cheap by doing it and it does make me question how self-aware they were of the show.

They also seem to resent their audience as there are numerous digs at sci-fi fans throughout.

I could go on.  This show has so many terribly quirks.  It's a train wreck.  But it's a fun train wreck.  That metaphor doesn't quite work.  I wouldn't recommend any watch this show and I understand why any given person would hate it.

wedgeski

Quote from: pictsy on 09 November, 2021, 08:48:30 PM

It's got issues, but it's main story arc blunders along nicely to wrap up with a very satisfying conclusion.  And then it carried on for two more seasons and just abruptly ended.  Do I watch the TV movies that finish off the story with the incredibly boring Ori?

I think SG1 is a great test of ones ability to suspend disbelief.  It is so utterly ridiculous.  Almost everything.  Start to finish.  Idiotic.  Not great sci-fi, barely any good ideas done well, a real problem with escalating the stakes, deus ex machinas every other episode etc. etc.  Still, I had a blast watching it.  It is irreverent and silly and mostly fails when it tries to be serious.  It's best when it uses meta humour and there are times it's clear it's self aware enough.

Nevertheless, when they try and go serious they make bad decisions, one of which led to a character being written out for a cheap "we want to show the stakes are real" death.  It's really bad, it's really dumb, it's really unnecessary and I feel sorry for the actress who essentially got fired for it to happen.  They thought they weren't being cheap by doing it and it does make me question how self-aware they were of the show.

They also seem to resent their audience as there are numerous digs at sci-fi fans throughout.

I could go on.  This show has so many terribly quirks.  It's a train wreck.  But it's a fun train wreck.  That metaphor doesn't quite work.  I wouldn't recommend any watch this show and I understand why any given person would hate it.
So you like it? But you hate it? It's crap? But it's good? Got it. :) The show checks off the list of tropes just like any episodic sci-fi of its time (time travel, body swap, virtual reality, etc.), but I disagree that SG-1 has a dearth of good ideas.

I assume you're talking about [spoiler]Janet Fraiser's[/spoiler] death? What are your problems with it? Why was it cheap and dumb? It's a well-written two-parter with a few interesting things to say about the media's relationship with the military. It's beautifully played and always seemed to me a fitting end for that character.

With regards to the TV movies, 'Arc of Truth' is awful, but it does wrap that storyline. It's not worth your time. 'Continuum' is much better, with a strong connection to the original Goa'ould arc and a great sense of fun. Highly recommended.

Smith

Rewatching Deep Space 9. It really is the best Star Trek series.

Dandontdare

I've been dipping in and out of DS9 and TNG lately. Find I'm skipping most of the major character episodes (too slow and schmaltzy) and focussing on the weirder one-offs - 'something bizarre goes wrong and nearly kills everybody' type of stories.

pictsy

Quote from: wedgeski on 10 November, 2021, 09:15:22 AM
So you like it? But you hate it? It's crap? But it's good? Got it. :) The show checks off the list of tropes just like any episodic sci-fi of its time (time travel, body swap, virtual reality, etc.), but I disagree that SG-1 has a dearth of good ideas.

I assume you're talking about [spoiler]Janet Fraiser's[/spoiler] death? What are your problems with it? Why was it cheap and dumb? It's a well-written two-parter with a few interesting things to say about the media's relationship with the military. It's beautifully played and always seemed to me a fitting end for that character.

They killed the character off to kill a character off.  That's cheap, regardless.  I don't understand the decision to do so.  They wanted to establish that death is a real threat after many characters have been revived from the dead and some cases multiple times.  This is after Daniel's ascension!  That ship had sailed.  And by picking a secondary character, we're still assured that nothing is going to happen to the main characters.  Their plot armour remains intact throughout.  Maybe the worst part is is that they just dump on the actor that she's out of a job for this as well.  The real life aspect is what aggravates me the most about it.  The episodes themselves are fine and the cast put in a good job, but it was cheap.  The show would have benefited from her remaining and it does suffer in her absence.  Especially when they finally replace the character in the last two seasons.... who then subsequently disappears for the majority of Season 10... oh god this show is an utter fucking mess.

What makes SG1 enjoyable for me to watch is the characters.  Even in the last two seasons, because the story does get a lot worse there.  Also not taking it in anyway seriously.  It's more fun to look as the show as one big joke because then all it's messy problems just become part of that joke.

Anyway, I have to restrain myself writing too much about the show because I keep going off on tangents about one thing or another and I've wasted an hour writing and deleting what I've written!  I'll leave it at; It's a stupid mess that I enjoyed watching.

Quote from: Smith on 10 November, 2021, 09:21:09 AM
Rewatching Deep Space 9. It really is the best Star Trek series.

Yes it is.

Smith

Quote from: Dandontdare on 10 November, 2021, 09:54:27 AM
I've been dipping in and out of DS9 and TNG lately. Find I'm skipping most of the major character episodes (too slow and schmaltzy) and focussing on the weirder one-offs - 'something bizarre goes wrong and nearly kills everybody' type of stories.
You are literally doing it completely wrong. 🤣

Tjm86

It's best when it uses meta humour and there are times it's clear it's self aware enough.

Aye, the episode where O'neil and T'ealc get stuck in recurring time loop is a cracker.  Love the scene where they play golf through the stargate ...

pictsy

Quote from: Tjm86 on 10 November, 2021, 12:47:28 PM

It's best when it uses meta humour and there are times it's clear it's self aware enough.

Aye, the episode where O'neil and T'ealc get stuck in recurring time loop is a cracker.  Love the scene where they play golf through the stargate ...

Yeah, that episode is the sort of fun I like that the show does.

Radbacker

New season of Bigmouth on the Flix, laugh my arse off but if this show doesn't make you uncomfortable there's something wrong with you.

CU Radbacker

pictsy

I'm doing Lower Decks.  Up to the third episode of season 2.  Very enjoyable.  I'm also watching Hellsing and Blood+... apparently I still feel the need to get my anime on and Vampires called to me.  I am going to watch Hellsing Ultimate right after Hellsing because why not.