Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

If you have not already, do yourself a favour an read the novel of PotA. It is incredible.

Professor Bear

I've read it and it's not all that, but the framing device/ending was the one Tim Burton should have gone for in his remake, rather than that shit he filmed.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 23 September, 2013, 08:56:01 PM
I've read it and it's not all that, but the framing device/ending was the one Tim Burton should have gone for in his remake, rather than that shit he filmed.

Agree on the Burton comment, but the book is bloody awesome.

Mardroid

By PotA novel, do you mean the original novel Monkey Planet that the films are based on? Or a novelisation of the film?

I've read Monkey Planet. It wasn't bad, and the differences with the film were curious. (The Ape* society is pretty modern, contemporary with 20th Century Earth. I like the idea of handholds used to cross busy streets.)

Ultimately this is one of the few instances where I prefer the film to the book though.

*Not monkey!

radiator

Having heard good things about it, we decided to give the Netflix original series Orange is the New Black a go last night, and devoured the first two eps in one go. Fantastic stuff!

The premise (based on a book of a true story) is a middle class urbanite finds herself in women's prison when her wild past catches up with her. Much fish out of water calamity ensues as she comes to terms with her surroundings and begins to bond with her fellow inmates. Janeway(?) from Voyager(?) plays the terrifying Russian prison cook, and she's amazing, as is American Pie's Jason Biggs.

Highly recommended.

Hawkmumbler

Just learned Attack on Titan is going to conclude this saterday. I knew the end was nigh but jesus. :o

Tiplodocus

I'm into Season 10 of SMALLVILLE and I'm not ashamed to admit I am actually enjoying it again. It no longer feels like doing homework. The start to Season 9 was dire but I even warmed to Wet Zod by the end.

They finally seemed to have remembered that "Hey, this is a show about how Clark makes the decision to become Superman". 

All the Clark and Lois stuff is great - I think there's some great chemistry between Tom Welling and Erica Durance despite Tom's limited range. The constant tortuous betrayals and character twisty turns seem to have taken a back seat to (there are still some) and we have lighter "Lois gets in a stupid predicament and Supes saves her" plots. But importantly, despite the producers still fetishising the endlessly perky Erica Durance, Lois saves Supes just as often.

"Homecoming" (episode 200) was a particular standout with Braniac 5 (James Marsters) doing "A Christmas Carol"/"It's a Wonderful Life" on a doubtful Kal-El. I just didn't want to leave the "future" segment but when we did, the pay-off in the barn was beautiful.

And Darkseid is the baddie - I'll admit to having read very little with him in it so I'm open to their interpretation.  And I do hope the clone Lex grows into Michael Rosenbaum.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

LorcanQ

finally got box sets of season 4 and 5(part 1) of breaking bad (dont like streaming it online tbh).... YESSSSSS. just got my wisdom teeth out aswell so im gonna eat this shit up  :D

radiator

We have just one episode to go now of Orange is the New Black, and it just gets better. Really, really great stuff - shocking, moving, smart, and often laugh out loud funny. It's so clever how it introduces characters as fairly broad stereotypes, then through fascinating flashbacks reveals how human they are. I really hope season 2 maintains the quality.

Has anyone seen Weeds, which is by the same writer? I've heard good things about it, and it's on Netflix... May have to give it a go.

GrinningChimera

Finally caught up with season 3 of Boardwalk Empire. I was worried that the show wouldn't be the same without [spoiler]Jimmy[/spoiler], but this is definetly my favourite season yet. The bit where [spoiler]Richard went all Taxi Driver and killed everyone[/spoiler] was epic. I actually found myself yelling at the tv. Actually that probably happens more than it should...

Frank

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 05 October, 2013, 09:38:34 PM
Finally caught up with season 3 of Boardwalk Empire. I was worried that the show wouldn't be the same without [spoiler]Jimmy[/spoiler], but this is definitely my favourite season yet. The bit where [spoiler]Richard went all Taxi Driver and killed everyone[/spoiler] was epic. I actually found myself yelling at the tv. Actually that probably happens more than it should...

What about the bit where Gyp Rosetti started a fight WITH GOD? That was so brilliantly in character, and a variation upon (and escalation of) a scene that had been played out so many times during the series - and I suppose it's as good an explanation of how his story worked out as the subtle unpeeling of the psychology of the character which went on as the series progressed. That ability to use a single narrative to reveal different psychological aspects of multiple characters is what I think makes Boardwalk Empire so special.

Richard Harrow's smooth, impassive face and the tortured, ugly chaos it conceals are the perfect metaphor for what the series reveals about the characters and America itself.

ThryllSeekyr

I've been eyeing the Blu-Rae or DVD of Monty Python's Flying Circus Complete Boxed Set on Ebay, but won't I won't be spending that much money yet.

ThryllSeekyr

It's much cheaper here, but I'm still not spending that much money just yet.

Besides, I just spent thirty dollars on Warhammer: 40k's Space-Hulk on Steam.

Anyway, can anybody find out if the Complete Monty Python Boxed Set is available on Blu-Rae, because I can't find any.

GrinningChimera

Got Walking Dead season 3 on the weekend on dvd. It's labour weekend over here on the 26th-28th so I'm gonna throw a Walking Dead marathon and watch all 3 seasons back to back. I told somone at work this and got a funny look as if to say it's not normal or something!

Dragonfly

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 06 October, 2013, 06:34:24 PM
It's much cheaper here, but I'm still not spending that much money just yet.

Besides, I just spent thirty dollars on Warhammer: 40k's Space-Hulk on Steam.

Anyway, can anybody find out if the Complete Monty Python Boxed Set is available on Blu-Rae, because I can't find any.

I don't believe the Monty Python TV series has ever been released on Blu-Ray but I think two of the films have, those two being The Holy Grail and The Life Of Brian. If anyone knows any different then I would love to be corrected!