Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: pictsy on 14 January, 2014, 10:44:06 AM
that awful Irish Theme Pub holodeck programme.

So, tis a praablam with Fairhaven ye have, is it?
Nathin ta do wi' the fact Species 8472 were turned from the most pramisin new Trek villain to Tribble level threat within wan season?

Away with ye.

TordelBack

Quote from: Link Prime on 14 January, 2014, 10:59:10 AM
Nathin ta do wi' the fact Species 8472 were turned from the most pramisin new Trek villain to Tribble level threat within wan season?

I dunno, the ability to perfectly duplicate the entire of Starfleet Command from half a galaxy away, down to the speech patterns of the Academy groundskeeper, seems pretty powerful to me.  Or unbelievably moronic, hard to say.

Link Prime

For me, it was the moment the Shark Jumped.

Out of the bleedin' Alpha Quadrant.

pictsy

Quote from: Link Prime on 14 January, 2014, 10:59:10 AM
Quote from: pictsy on 14 January, 2014, 10:44:06 AM
that awful Irish Theme Pub holodeck programme.

So, tis a praablam with Fairhaven ye have, is it?

Away with ye.

lol
Actually Species 8472 never bothered me a great deal.  They were set up as a promising new villain, didn't really deliver and that's about it. 

Fairhaven was nausea inducing.

Link Prime

Quote from: pictsy on 14 January, 2014, 12:52:19 PM

Fairhaven was nausea inducing.

That it was.
And imagine having to sit through it if you were Irish?  :)

Professor Bear

I didn't mind the Fairhaven stuff as it was explicitly an idealised panto version of Ireland within the fictional context of Voyager's own universe, and acknowledged as such by the characters.  At the time I thought it a lot less insulting than the likes of braindead shit like Ballykissangel or those Eastenders episodes, though it also has a lot more validity than something like 2000ad's own Emerald Isle.

Voyager was at least an equal opportunity-offender, too, as it's take on 1930s Paris, Nazi-occupied rural France, and even mid-90s America were pretty unrealistic versions of the real thing.  "Freakasauraus" my oul hole!

HdE

I'm about halfway through the first series of 'The Killing', and it's... actually pretty pedestrian.

It's quite atmospheric, though. I just don't get much sense of why it's so highly regarded at the moment. I keep waiting for an earth-shattering twist or reveal, and it's been a bit dull in that area so far.

Although, I AM in danger of developing a thing for middle-aged Danish women in chunky-knit sweaters. With sleuthy abilities. (A very specific thing, you understand.)
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Jo-L

I'm in the middle of watching "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia".  For the third time.

HdE

You know how I said 'The Killing' was a bit pedestrian?

Yeekers, was I wrong! The last few episodes have REALLY ramped things up!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

TordelBack

In the middle of Game of Thrones Season 3, thoroughly enjoying watching the missus' expectations being repeatedly confounded, but even more so when she predicts things correctly: she was spot on with [spoiler]Daeny's trick with Valyrian and the Unsullied at Astapor[/spoiler].  And the [spoiler]Red Wedding[/spoiler] approaches, undetected.  Almost makes me wish I hadn't read the books.

A Song of Ice and Fire is a great fun read, but it isn't exactly unique - why is there nothing else on telly with the scale of ambition and success of realisation as Game of Thrones?  it's schlocky nonsense to be sure, but there are some really great performances (how good is Diana Rigg, never mind Lena Headey, Peter Dinklage, Nikolai Coster-Waldau, Maisie Williams...) and the location work alone poops on anything else out there.  Even the CGI on the dragons and set-extensions is extraordinary.

Theblazeuk

Red Wedding was fun to watch with the uninitiated. Especially when they [spoiler]killed the wolf. Last shot of Caetlyn getting her throat slit was genius and put such a quiet end to all the shrieking in my room - my wife is a yeller.[/spoiler]

Just finished Fringe off - second time through for me, first time for the Mrs. She loved it though she had trouble accepting that time travel works by whatever means they say it works, as its not real. Think I enjoyed this even more the second time around as well actually especially Observer-world, though the cracks in the concepts were quite blatant on second viewing. Authoritarian occupying force is terrible at actually monitoring or policing anyone who is actually opposed to it.

Mardroid

Currently working my way through the second series of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Very good stuff, although there are gaps in the thread of some stories where a bit of explanation wouldn't go amis, although some of that could just be me missing stuff.

Theblazeuk

I liked a lot of what was set up by the end....Always fond of some [spoiler]ambitious time travel and the idea of an allied AI. Wish the showrunners would sketch out a plot so I could have some closure.[/spoiler]

Dont think those spoilers are too much if you're in season 2. One ridiculous thing about the whole show was John's attraction to Summer Glau. Yes she's pretty but she's a robotic killing machine! Ew.

radiator

Rewatching The Sopranos - currently mid-way through season three and approaching 'Pine Barrens', one of the single greatest episodes of anything ever.

Still amazing, and made all the more poignant by the recent passing of James Gandolfini - it really is the performance of a lifetime. HOW is it possible to make a character so monstrous, magnetic, charming, vulnerable, completely lovable and utterly repellent all at the same time? I really should get round to seeing Enough Said.

If I had to criticise the show I'd say there's a tad too much flowery therapist-speak/psychobabble, and (if this isn't a bit too Daily Mail of me) I suspect that real-life gangsters and career criminals wouldn't be as multi-layered, nuanced or interesting as the characters presented in the show.

Armand Assante is also awesome and coldly menacing as the loathsome Richie Aprile. See, ol' Judge Rico can act when he isn't hamming it up!

Colin YNWA

The Sopranos is my favourite tv show of all time, okay so for a few episodes at the start of Season 6 we were all a little worried as it lost its way but by the end it was firmly back on form.

My chronology gets a bit wonky but it stands out for me as the first truly great long form tv show of the current American generation. Its the start of the time we (by which I mean there seemed to be a general understanding and or perception) stopped thinking that British TV was the best and the American channels started doing telly that was better than not just our telly, but better than film. So many great characters, Carmela, Livia, Paulie, Christopher, Silvio and so many more. For all that its Tony's show and Gandolfini is just gigantic in the role. The fact that its Tony's show makes the ending oh so clear to me too, but I digress.

The only possible thing that could rock it from its mantel as best telly show ever and Tony Soprano as best performance and or character in telly ever is the fact that I've just finished season 4 of Breaking Bad and that show and Bryan Cranston / Walter White are, much to my amazement fighting for both top slots... mind I prefer Mike as a character, much as I loved Paulie the most in The Sopranos.

I think once I finish BB (first disk of season five on the way) I might try to persuade my wife to try it again so I can compare the two.