Main Menu

Thought Police: Are we allowed to query 'woke'?

Started by Tjm86, 24 September, 2020, 08:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

The Guardian and The Independent did apply some science to this supposed "advantage" Lia Thomas had and lo and behold it doesn't seem to exist. For one thing, transitioning is to female gets rid of loads of muscle mass.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tjm86

Cue millions of middle-aged men's sudden concern ...

Funt Solo

Three things, recently:

1. Pride month: Kuwait criticises US embassy over pro-LGBT tweets

2. Ricky Gervais defends his transphobic set on Netflix (that promotes the tired idea that trans women are all lurking bathroom rapists), by saying that some of his best friends are trans - and he loves them dearly as long as they have their penis surgically removed, because otherwise they're not really what they say they are. Was Gervais always a modern Alf Garnett? I remember thinking he was a smarmy git when he launched on The Eleven O'Clock Show, but then he did The Office, and I thought he was just cleverly poking fun at bigots. But was he always just using that as an excuse to say bigoted things.

3. Magaverse lurking after a healthy break takes only a few posts before I get to the "I'm not homophobic but ... I hate gay pride" posts. So, you are homophobic. It's no good saying you're not a thief before robbing someone. Not minding gay folk as long as they hide in a box means you do mind them. Why not try not minding them instead - it's much easier.

Conclusion: the US embassy in Kuwait is more culturally aware than Ricky Gervais and the Magaverse? Weird. See, I wouldn't have automatically assumed that going in.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I just think it's unfair that pride gets a whole month when the other six deadly sins don't.
You may quote me on that.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Mister Pops on 03 June, 2022, 12:44:28 PM
I just think it's unfair that pride gets a whole month when the other six deadly sins don't.

How envious of you. Truly none of us are free of sin.

JayzusB.Christ

I think you'll find that the other 11 months already belong to the other six sins. At least in my house.

Furthermore, it's not as if this lad is in a position to judge any kind of androgynous looks.
https://lastfm.freetls.fastly.net/i/u/500x500/408b89b3725d4a58955c45f4775dab87
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 03 June, 2022, 01:40:28 PM
I think you'll find that the other 11 months already belong to the other six sins. At least in my house.

Furthermore, it's not as if this lad is in a position to judge any kind of androgynous looks.
https://lastfm.freetls.fastly.net/i/u/500x500/408b89b3725d4a58955c45f4775dab87

That took me a while, trying to figure out who that was. C'blimey!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IndigoPrime

Gervais was always awful, but I think he's got dumber. Either that or he's slowly being radicalised to some degree, primarily through being in an echo chamber of adoring fans. Increasingly, I suspect Merchant added the humanity to Gervais's best work.

It seems he intends to become a modern-day Jim Davidson, because that's an easier way to notoriety than nuance. So: probably always bigoted to some degree, but now primarily a bigot with nothing to say other than punching down and claiming that's somehow edgy.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

i cannot, and probably shouldn't, watch father ted or the office any more. this is a shame - because they were two of my favourite comedies ever, and because i know that we should be able to separate the creator from the creation.
but i can't. sorry. the knowledge of the bigoted harm wrought by their creators make laughter near impossible now.
is this 'cancel culture'? aka personal choice?

Richard

What does Father Ted have to do with Ricky Gervais?

IndigoPrime

Nothing. But it was co-created by Graham Linehan, who has transformed from writer of quality comedy with – in hindsight – some fairly dodgy shit buried in certain episodes, to TERF King. And, yeah, same. At least with Black Books, we can pretend series one didn't exist, given that Linehan apparently bailed.

Funt Solo

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 03 June, 2022, 04:17:57 PM
is this 'cancel culture'? aka personal choice?

That question is at the core of a legal battle in the US (US supreme court blocks Texas law targeting social media rules).

The Texans were trying to make it illegal for social media platforms to censor any of their user-submitted content (on the basis of free speech). The social media platforms were arguing that forcing them to publish all submitted content would impinge on their right to free speech (because, legally, freedom of speech is also the freedom not to speak).

If the Texans are allowed to win the case, it means they can force people to espouse views that are not their own. So, yes, your personal choice would not be allowed. Imagine: being forced to listen to Trump and his fascist underlings - and being forced to chant their slogans - or it's off to the cells with you.

America is very close to a terrible future.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richmond Clements

QuoteAmerica is very close to a terrible future.

As a relatively young country, I used to think that the USA was going through a kind of adolescence, but now I think it's going through its death throes.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

I think the entire human race is going through its adolescence.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]