Main Menu

FFT - ROUND of 16 - Lawless vs Firekind - Heat 01

Started by Colin YNWA, 15 August, 2022, 06:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Quote from: AlexF on 15 August, 2022, 12:36:32 PM
Lawless is all kinds of delightful, and by gosh I can drink in the art anyday. It's cleverly plotted, the characters are well-rounded, it just feels like such a lived-in story.

But you know, all those things are true of Firekind as well.

Lawless has the advantage of mutiple story arcs, often doing very different things, where Firekind only had the chance to tell one story. And yes, there's that extra-length musical episode, not to mention at least one amzing blow-by-blow all-about combat battle action episode.
Firekind for me has one very special advantage, which is squeezing in some proper sci-fi antrhopology, with its close investiagtion of the Gennians, their mythology, their sex lives, and indeed the way that Larsen interacts with it all. Lawless has the Zhind, but that's mostly for plot-pushing, and some interesting things to say about robot theology, but that's more cursory rather than head-on.

I think just for John Smith and Paul Marshall's ambition of realising a wholly unique type of science fiction story, and a convincing alien world, I'm going Firekind.

This is a very compelling argument - Firekind really is an excellent thrill. You've almost swayed me off my original course. The part keeping me on the side of Lawless is the deep characterization of the side characters. Where I'm in awe of the spectacle of Firekind it's the human moments in Lawless, and, in particular, the ups and downs of Nerys Pettifer, that win my vote. She's just so very real.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

AlexF

Oh by gosh yes, Nerys Pettifer is an all-time great character, every new episode I'm holding out hope that she gets a win! Not many comics where you tune in regularly just to keep abreast of the emotional state of one character! (And frankly this is true of Metta "Lawson" too).

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlexF on 16 August, 2022, 09:12:09 AM
Oh by gosh yes, Nerys Pettifer is an all-time great character, every new episode I'm holding out hope that she gets a win! Not many comics where you tune in regularly just to keep abreast of the emotional state of one character! (And frankly this is true of Metta "Lawson" too).

Yep much as I love Metta, Nerys is the star of the series in my mind. There is such a rich cast of other characters as well. For me that's what makes it stand out from Dabnett's other star turns at the moment - I'm guessing Sinister Dexter aside but that's not quite up there at the moment for different reasons.

I mean yes, let's be honest Lawless feels more traditional than either Brink or The Out, with its glorious wild west action but its the characters in addition to that which put it ahead of either of those two for me, brilliant though they are. Its thrill perfection in my eyes.

IndigoPrime

Having read them both recently, Lawless takes it. Firekind has a lot going for it, not least its excellent take on 'alienness' that is rare in 2000 AD. But Lawless has a great roster of characters and plenty of depth. And, yeah, Nerys had [spoiler]better make it through the latest arc unscathed[/spoiler]. 

sintec

I'd love to vote Firekind and keep John Smith in the tourney (he seems to have had a hard time of it) but I don't think I can vote for it over Lawless. The MC volume was the thing that got me buying the Meg and it's the series that ensures I keep that sub so...

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Colin YNWA

Firekind has fought back here after a very rocky start, but I don't think its enough ... yet... there's a day to go and who knows I think there's a few more votes out there - though it has been quiet in these parts last couple of weeks - so get them in and I'll reveal the first Quarter Finalist in the morning.

credo

I was abstaining, having not read Lawless, but I have to vote for Firekind in the hope that we see some John Smith representation in the quarter finals.

Sean SD

Blue Cactus

Happy for either of these to go through. Lawless.