Main Menu

LotR: Rings of Power

Started by sheridan, 02 September, 2022, 10:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Thinking about it, you might also ask why the dwarves are all Scots. Bad-tempered, bearded redheads, hostile to outsiders, swilling booze and secretively hoarding their wealth... :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 September, 2022, 09:09:43 AM
Thinking about it, you might also ask why the dwarves are all Scots. Bad-tempered, bearded redheads, hostile to outsiders, swilling booze and secretively hoarding their wealth... :-)

This made me smile. But I did it in secret where no other Scottish person could see.
Lock up your spoons!

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 September, 2022, 04:04:22 AM
I'm not quite sure about the new Elrond - he doesn't look half as regal as Hugo Weaving; there's a touch of Ramsay Bolton about him.  I did get a bit of a thrill when the penny finally dropped that the main hobbit was Lenny Henry, though.

Funny you should say that as the actor playing young Elrong was previously most famous for playing young Ned Stark from the timey-wimey flashback scenes from GoT.

That Lenny Henry's certainly returning to the fantasy genre lately (prevously the only connection I know of was the Neverwhere TV series, but that was behind the scenes).

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 04 September, 2022, 02:02:26 PM
That Lenny Henry's certainly returning to the fantasy genre lately (prevously the only connection I know of was the Neverwhere TV series, but that was behind the scenes).

A few years back, I was lucky enough to see the 40 minute proof-of-concept film adapting Ben Read and Chris Wildgoose's first volume of Porcelain (directed by Chris's brother, Tim, who, amongst other things, was head armourer on GoT) in which Lenny Henry starred.

I can only find the trailer online so you'll have to take my word for it that Our Len was excellent as Uncle (as was Zoe Brough as The Girl). At the end of the trailer, you'll even see my logo for the series. :-)

(Plug: if you haven't read the three volumes of Porcelain to date, they're worth tracking down, BTW.)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 September, 2022, 09:02:31 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 September, 2022, 08:58:49 AM
It took me a long time to realise they were bad Irish accents too.  Lenny Henry's isn't too bad, but, y'know, why?

Potatoes. POH-TAY-TOES. ;-)

QuoteI have to ask, what is WoT?

Wheel of Time, I assume.

Thanks! Haven't seen it yet.

Just finished episode 2 of RoP (has anyone abbreviated it thusly yet?) and I must say I really liked it. Admittedly I don't really have a clue what's going on but the atmosphere (including the epic musical score) has me enthralled..

(Also,  I'm so sorry but the 'potatoes' reference went over my head too.... my main memories of Lenny Henry involve Delbert Wilkins, a Thriller piss-take and seagull noises.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

To me he'll always be Trevor McDoughnut.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 05 September, 2022, 09:21:03 PM
I'm so sorry but the 'potatoes' reference went over my head too....

Hobbits... potatoes. Irish... potatoes. A poor attempt at humour on my part. Apologies.

sheridan

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 05 September, 2022, 09:34:33 PM

To me he'll always be Trevor McDoughnut.

Some mix of Delbert Wilkins, David Bellamy and the Oooooooh-Kaaaaaaayyyyyyy character (with a bit of The Totally Stonking, Surprisingly Educational an dUtterly Mindboggling Comic Relief Comic representation too).

sheridan

And how could I forget Theophilus P. Wildebeeste?

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 05 September, 2022, 09:45:20 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 05 September, 2022, 09:21:03 PM
I'm so sorry but the 'potatoes' reference went over my head too....

Hobbits... potatoes. Irish... potatoes. A poor attempt at humour on my part. Apologies.

No need for apologies- I thought it was a reference to a part of Lenny Henry's back catalogue that I'd forgotten!  In fairness, we do like a spud or two over here; my foreign students are always taken aback at how true the stereotype is :)

Quote from: sheridan on 05 September, 2022, 10:01:17 PM

Feck, yeah, it's all coming back to me now! Anyone remember him being interviewed for one of the 2000ad specials? Can't remember which one, but his mind appeared to be blown on being shown the Horned God for the first time.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Quote from: sheridan on 05 September, 2022, 10:01:17 PM

"The P is for Penetration!"

Well, gwapple me gwapenuts! I didn't realize that this thread would become a Lenny Appreciation meeting. He's rocking some big hair as the wise hobbit-like person.

Talking of regional accents, then just regions - I've been reading The Anglo-Saxons (Morris 2021), and learning that the Welsh are basically the OG Britons, sort of thing. I say sort of thing because the OG Britons were a bit squished by the Beaker folk and so on. Everything I know about English history I get from one book and a Stewart Lee sketch.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Rara Avis

[quote i]POH-TAY-TOES.[/i] ;-)[/quote]

POH-TAY-TOES !!

Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if the dwarves invent the battered mars bar in the next episode ...

lincnash

Quote from: Rara Avis on 06 September, 2022, 07:29:52 AM
POH-TAY-TOES !!
Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!!!

WELL - OIL - BEEF - HOOKED.
;-)

The Enigmatic Dr X

So do you all reckon this show is any use? It's just not been on my radar. I don't know why, but I have just not fancied it. I reckoned it would be a po-faced piece of expensive fan fiction. Am I wrong?
Lock up your spoons!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 09 September, 2022, 08:11:31 AM
So do you all reckon this show is any use? It's just not been on my radar. I don't know why, but I have just not fancied it. I reckoned it would be a po-faced piece of expensive fan fiction. Am I wrong?

Well, if you're going to be a purist about it, everything that isn't The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings is essentially fan fiction — we have no way of knowing what any of the posthumously-published stuff would have looked like if/when JRRT had finally decided it was in a state he was happy to publish. Personally, that side of it doesn't bother me at all. (It helps that I haven't read any of it, for precisely this reason!)

We're only two episodes in (the third releases today) and I found the first to be very pretty, but a little dull. The second livens up enormously, to the extent that I'm very much looking forward to the third tonight.