Main Menu

Prog 2177 – Kneel Before Nimrod

Started by broodblik, 15 April, 2020, 04:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Another good solid prog with a good cover by the cover-master Cliff Robinson.

Dredd – This is another one-shot and what a great little short by Niemand again. Niemand is becoming a great Dredd storytelling droid. Great to see the return of Carl Critchlow. His last work I believe was also on a Dredd story in the 40th Anniversary Special.

Survival Geeks – This is getting better as the story unfolds. This geekdom and nerddom at its best. Googe art is helps driving the story.

Skip Tracer – Still continuing its path. Much better than the previous run of Skip. The story is now really getting into action and Nimrod is starting to ply all his cards.

Aquila – The highlight of the prog yet again. A combination of great story telling with great art. I like the way that history is used to drive the narrative.

Hersey – Cannot say how great Fraser's art is but now the story is also pickup up and we get a clearer picture of what Hersey is trying to do and who some of the villains are.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

The indefatigable Mighty One proves yet again that 2000AD Every Wednesday is one of the very few things you can rely on in this crazy world.

The Dredd is an entertaining idea let down a bit by having Dredd [spoiler]flatfooted - twice - by very ordinary bottom-tier baddies,  and saved - twice - by a failed cadet turned bailiff[/spoiler]. It's good fun writing,  and enthusiastically drawn with attention to detail  and design by Critchlow, but having a [spoiler]former cadet as its focus just serves to remind that Dredd would have instantly failed any rookie that missed Robo-Earl and then let a still-armed kidnapper get behind him. Entertaining one-off,  but Useless Dredd Saved By Competent New Character is now so over-used as to be irritating[/spoiler].  File alongside invisible ninja judges as something we could use a looong break from...

And speaking of those once-ubiquitous INJs, Hershey is still looking drokkin' amazing, but the good ol' [spoiler]Enceladus Energy[/spoiler] that powers many of them is back, shifting this in my mind from a final Hershey story to another Titan-NIxon-Smiley story.  Yay.

Aquila too has its undercover ninjas (splitters)  or whatever the krav maga equivalent is, but our heroes make light work of them, and we move towards the revelation that the way to the Devourer is indeed through Vesuvius.  Loving this run,  although the colouring seems a bit odd on my tablet at least.

Survival Geeks would be the highlight of the prog for Adeptus Astartes Geeks playi g 15 To One alone. But there's more! Wonderful nerdy stuff.

Skip Tracer. Deathlok gets punched hard.

Jacqusie

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 April, 2020, 06:34:04 PM
The indefatigable Mighty One proves yet again that 2000AD Every Wednesday is one of the very few things you can rely on in this crazy world.

Unless you are a subscriber & progless.

I know it was the Easter weekend & there's post problems, with the on-going shenanigans, but I'm just wondering if the subs folks will get ours on our certain but different specific days from now on?

:think:

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Jacqusie on 15 April, 2020, 08:30:20 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 15 April, 2020, 06:34:04 PM

I know it was the Easter weekend & there's post problems, with the on-going shenanigans, but I'm just wondering if the subs folks will get ours on our certain but different specific days from now on?

:think:

I know right, I don't know whether to laugh or to cry at this point.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

norton canes

Certainly some big questions asked in Dredd this week. Is Joe getting careless in his old age? Is the Academy of Law too strict in its assessments? Has Kenny Niemand unwittingly written a better version of Skip Tracer? But most pressing of all - how the drokk does that yellow car fly with its fans pointing forward? We can see from the picture at the top there aren't any outlets at the opposite end of the propulsion pods. Shouldn't they at least be pointing downwards?

Apart from that, loving every page of what is a seriously gory prog.

Jim_Campbell

My copy didn't turn up until yesterday. I'd definitely chase it if you don't get it today!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 April, 2020, 11:37:54 AM

My copy didn't turn up until yesterday. I'd definitely chase it if you don't get it today!

Still waiting on mine, but I wasn't going to worry about it until the beginning of next week. The bank holiday and global circumstance mean I'm happy to wait, but might get twitchy if the next Prog arrives before this one, which had happened once before as I recall, in significently less trying conditions.

The Monarch

my copy did turn up today but considering i am still missing two weeks....

Magnetica

TordelBack

Quote from: norton canes on 16 April, 2020, 10:58:43 AM
But most pressing of all - how the drokk does that yellow car fly with its fans pointing forward? We can see from the picture at the top there aren't any outlets at the opposite end of the propulsion pods.[/i]

Ramscoops, powering internal Anti-Gravity engines by collecting radioactive elements suspended in the MC-1 atmosphere by Weather Control to reduce ongoing fallout.

Richard

Of course! Obvious really, now that it's been pointed out!

Colin YNWA

I salute you Phoenix.
I salute you Tharg.

Twelvety eleventeen days into this miserable and zombie free baked plague and comics finest are still producing the finest comics. For this I am utterly grateful.

Dredd is another Niemand misfire... in that its just good, not outstandingly brilliant. Fun little one parter with the introduction of a nice new character who may, or may not be back. BUT the star of the show is Carl Critchlow's superb art. I thought at first it might have been inked by someone else as it had a tighter style which really worked while not sucking any of the chaotic energy out of this superb art.

Survival Geeks remains cutely referencial and fun.

Skip Tracer, well I've talked in the past as to why this isn't as good as it should be so I'll not dwell. And Deathlok turned out not to be as tough as we all thought, though maybe he has other powers we've under estimated?

Aquila (damn I want to put two 'l's in that) is lovely gritty fun still.

Hershey is the show stopper though once again. This is a fine series and a quieter episode works absolutely brilliantly. And damn how good is Simon Fraser's art on this one, on ever level.

You keep this up you lovely Tharg you. Well done and Thursday claps to you.

Dandontdare

73north

I managed to get my copy on Wednesday - despite being a subscriber , but the Bank Holiday might have had something to do with that , and the Covid 19 crisis , and my work has taken a lot of my time , working in the NHS Operating Theatre which has been really busy and a bit stressful - so the Prog has been a real god-send
( thanks Tharg ! )
anyway my thoughts

Dredd by Mr Niemand was very , very good , and I especially enjoyed it with the terrific artwork.
Good story and writing - very impressed .

Survival Geeks was okay , I admit I don't get many of the references , sadly .
I also won't miss it when it ends , I just hope Mr Rennie concentrates on a longer and more frequent
run of Jaegir and keeps it going for as long as he enjoys it .

Skip Tracer - the art is excellent and the best part of the series - and the story and writing is ' okay ' - I just don't look forward that much to reading it , but that's just my opinion - I also concur with another earlier Forum comment that I also just don't know why this isn't as good as it should be .

Aquila - Excellent story and top class artwork .
Mr Rennie is on form with his writing in 2000AD - no doubt about it .

Hershey - got to admit it that this is the highlight of the Prog lately .
I also think Simon Fraser's art is sublime ..

overall 4.5 out of 5 for me

Thank you for all the hard work , by then 2000ad backroom staff , the 2000AD writers and all
the artists working - It is genuinely appreciated every week and a great Comic -
far better than Marvell and DC Comics ( which seems to be going downhill badly )