Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Ghost MacRoth

A Good Day to Die Hard.

Well, pretty much as expected really.  Some bubble-gum for the brain.  The first half hour has some great action sequences, very 'Bourne-esque' in direction (which is never a bad thing) and framing.  However, McClain seems to say nowt much other than exclaiming 'Jeezus!' a lot in that first half hour or so, which then means each and every time he says it from then on (which is often) kinda grates on the nerves a bit.  Well, it's that or 'I'm on vacation', either way, it gets old fast.

The plot is,,,,,fairly forgettable, while you are in the process of watching.  Equipment appears as and when needed without much care for the believability of how and where it comes from, as does the ability to find the bad guys within moments of beginning to look for them.  But the plot is only there to allow the McClain boys to shoot a bunch of folks, so I guess it serves it's purpose.

So, not as good as 1 or 2, probably on a par with 'die hard with a vengance' (which was fairly weak, but enjoyable), but better than 4.0 which was utter pish. ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

ThryllSeekyr

As I sit at the computer, I have the nearby television on. The latest episode of Arrow. was on. I  barely paid attention to it though. In fact, I have  paid lesser and lesser attention to this show as each week has gone by.

I just watched the last half hour of Conan the Barbarian The newer version with Jason MamoaRon Pearlman, Stephen Lang and Rose McGowan in it. It also has Rachel Nichols in it. Recently the main character of the first series of Continuim.

I am about to watch it again just now.....

I, Cosh

Fast & Furious 6 is definitely the pick of this year's crop of big blockbusters so far. Fast cars; mostly understandable fights; pigheaded loyalty; blowing up Glasgow; a good turn from Gina Carano; lots of little callbacks to earlier films; dreadful cheesy techno soundtrack and a climactic thinning of the herd. After a slightly slow start, the daftness starts to pile up thick and fast and while it doesn't quite hit the ludicrous heights of the previous installment, it tries damned hard.
We never really die.

Ghost MacRoth

I just want to see that for the flip car.  Couple of mates worked on the Glasgow end, so I've seen some nice pics, but I fully expect the movie footage of it to be stunning.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Buttonman

I watched the aged Steve Coogan vehicle 'The Parole Officer' and it's got Lena 'Ma-ma' Headey in the buff in it. Well worth a look!

Professor Bear

Quote from: The Cosh on 12 June, 2013, 08:52:10 PMAfter a slightly slow start, the daftness starts to pile up thick and fast and while it doesn't quite hit the ludicrous heights of the previous installment, it tries damned hard.

Fast and Furious 6 was the pick of the year's blockbuster action offerings for me, even more than Star Trek Into Darkness was.  While STID dragged out setpieces of a ludicrous scale until they were just slightly too long to make you want more, FF6 keeps upping the ante and demanding you pay attention or you'll miss something, [spoiler]like the cars harpooning the giant plane, then it catches fire, then people have scraps on the roofs of the cars, then they start scrapping inside the plane, then Vin Diesel takes a guy out by head-butting someone through a wall at him[/spoiler] - it's fuppin' ace.  The tank chase is especially great because how it ends only makes sense if Vin Diesel's character has suddenly realised he is a character that is played by Vin Diesel.  Great post-credits scene, too!

Misunderstanding how Twitter worked, I summed the plot up in as succinct a manner as possible:

Frank

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 12 June, 2013, 09:42:48 PM
Misunderstanding how Twitter worked, I summed the plot up in as succinct a manner as possible:

That's fucking brilliant, Pro; you should share more often. Of course, now I don't need to bother watching the film.

TordelBack

Brave.  I know, I've posted about my love of this film before, but thanks to my 3-yr old's obsession with it, I've seen most of it about 30 times now.  And it's still utterly brilliant.  Just watching the climax at the moment (as my little girl jury-rigs a convincing Merida-and-Angus lego minifig). The demon bear Mordu is about as scary a monster as Disney have ever created, and the dynamics of the final fight in the stone circle are astonishing - from Merida [spoiler]slicing her father's wooden leg out from under him, to her bear-mother's dramatic rescue of her overwhelmed daughter, to the wonderful red-herring of the tapestry[/spoiler].  What a satisfying, inspiring film, and what a great vocal performance from Kelly McDonald, and Emma Thomson is no slouch either. 

(Current DVD playlist in this house is Brave, Despicable Me, Megamind, Classic Tom & Jerry and The Incredibles, their TV preferences being Horrible Histories, Spongebob, Hey Arnold, Ben & Holly, Clone Wars and  Scooby Doo.  I can happily watch anyof that that the cows the missus comes home  This parent lark isn't half bad you know.)

Buttonman

High brow stuff for me with Steve Austin and Dolph Lundgren teaming up in The Package.

Mabs

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 June, 2013, 10:26:33 AM
Brave.  I know, I've posted about my love of this film before, but thanks to my 3-yr old's obsession with it, I've seen most of it about 30 times now.  And it's still utterly brilliant.  Just watching the climax at the moment (as my little girl jury-rigs a convincing Merida-and-Angus lego minifig). The demon bear Mordu is about as scary a monster as Disney have ever created, and the dynamics of the final fight in the stone circle are astonishing - from Merida [spoiler]slicing her father's wooden leg out from under him, to her bear-mother's dramatic rescue of her overwhelmed daughter, to the wonderful red-herring of the tapestry[/spoiler].  What a satisfying, inspiring film, and what a great vocal performance from Kelly McDonald, and Emma Thomson is no slouch either. 

(Current DVD playlist in this house is Brave, Despicable Me, Megamind, Classic Tom & Jerry and The Incredibles, their TV preferences being Horrible Histories, Spongebob, Hey Arnold, Ben & Holly, Clone Wars and  Scooby Doo.  I can happily watch anyof that that the cows the missus comes home  This parent lark isn't half bad you know.)

Great to hear that TordelBack! I've also watched some of my children's favourites more times than I can remember! My kids loved Brave too, as for me Ihave to say it took me a viewing or two before I warmed to it. Currently we're watching The Rescuers Down Under; it used to be a boyhood favourite of mine and so I ordered a copy from Amazon for the kids. I didn't know how they'd react because well, its aged a bit. But they loved it! Some times my kids shock the hell out of me in terms of their viewing preferences. One day my 3 year old girl will watch Monsters Inc, the next she'll want to watch the classic Pinocchio, or an anime title like Spirited Away. It seems like quality or lack of CGI doesn't bother them at all. What does is a good story I suppose.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

JamesC

In terms of old kids films I quite liked All Dogs Go To Heaven.
Burt Reynolds and Dom DeLuise in dog form - what's not to like?

Definitely Not Mister Pops

The Eminent Professor Bear has already presented the most thorough and accurate report on this matter, but I would like to contribute some thoughts.

Fast & Furious 6 is easily the best Film I've seen all year. As others have said, it's doesn't quite surpass the last one, but it still outdoes itself. Probably because it was aiming so low to begin with and quite rightly. If the makers of this series ever put serious thought into what they were doing, these films just couldn't be made. Unapologetic, unadulterated, no-holds-barred, idiotic entertainment at its finest.

One minor gripe would be that The Rock's arms aren't as shiny as they were in the Fa5t 5, but that dude still steals the show. The rest of the cast are all definitely actors, and you can really tell they're acting.
You may quote me on that.

Frank

Quote from: El Pops on 14 June, 2013, 09:27:35 PM
One minor gripe would be that The Rock's arms aren't as shiny as they were in the Fa5t 5, but that dude still steals the show. The rest of the cast are all definitely actors, and you can really tell they're acting.

You're both hilarious when talking about this film, but I'm pretty sure it's more entertaining listening to you talk about it than watching it myself. I'm currently giving Snakes on a Plane another go, but I'm just not fun enough to make watching it fun in the way I'm sure it is for youz.

Ancient Otter

Watched Porco Rosso for the first time last night. Liked it, expected to be darker, but enjoyed it anyway. Must...resist...buying model kits of the planes...