Main Menu

Fantasy sequel Thread.

Started by darnmarr, 27 June, 2012, 05:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

I'm supportive of taking characters from the comics and putting them on-screen but subtantial alterations of character I think are pointless, just be creative and do something new.

radiator

QuoteI wouldn't say Dredd is deviating heavily

And I would say - granted I haven't seen the finished film - that DREDD is a fairly loose adaptation as these things go.
Since Death is a fairly fantastical character either way, why does where he originate from need changing? Best to do something else than change it substantially just to fit some vague verite idea.

In the Batman comics Ra's Al Ghul is an immortal 'international assassin' who wears fruity clothing, rocks a mean sideburn/'tache, is immortal and has lived for hundreds of years.

I like what they did with the character in Batman Begins, drastically altering his origin and appearance to fit into the type of film they were making.

Beeks

Seriously though..Call Me Kenneth and the Robot Wars story is made for the big screen

Think I-Robot in Mega City One
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Diminished Responsibility

If they bring Judge Death into it, then it should be a horror movie, somewhere around 'The Thing' meets 'Alien' ;)

Some of the stuff I remember reading definitely had a fantasy/horror theme to it. We're already getting hard R rated action film, I don't think a hard R rated horror would be a stretch
"DANGER! DO NOT TOUCH THESE MONSTROUSLY HAZARDOUS CITRUS FRUITS, MAN!"

The Adventurer

Quote from: radiator on 27 June, 2012, 08:34:07 PMI'd also like to see a take on the 'Democracy' arc though it would probably be problematic to put on screen - perhaps a blend of the human drama of America with the high-stakes, ticking-clock, huge scale action of Total War - a tense thriller where the audience's sympathies constantly flit between the judges and the terrorists. The ambiguous morality of Dredd is something I'd really like to see explored on film.

This is absolutely what I want to see. America+Total War. I think its scope would raise the stakes as a sequel should. And tell an inherently human story as Judge Dredd should. Hell, the title markets itself; Dredd: TOTAL WAR

Not sure about a third film. I'd take Judge Death, as since the Total War film will have done the 'city on the brink of annihilation by conventional weapons/people thing.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 27 June, 2012, 09:10:04 PM

And I would say - granted I haven't seen the finished film - that DREDD is a fairly loose adaptation as these things go.

In the Batman comics Ra's Al Ghul is an immortal 'international assassin' who wears fruity clothing, rocks a mean sideburn/'tache, is immortal and has lived for hundreds of years.

I like what they did with the character in Batman Begins, drastically altering his origin and appearance to fit into the type of film they were making.

I'd say the Stallone film deviated heavily but not the new one.

I think the Nolan Batman films are a greater extrapolation -or reduction- from the comic Batman than Dredd is of Dredd. If Dredd adopted the realism of Nolan's construct Anderson wouldn't be a PSI.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Beeks on 27 June, 2012, 09:11:51 PM
Seriously though..Call Me Kenneth and the Robot Wars story is made for the big screen

Think I-Robot in Mega City One

It'd be fantastic fun but robots as enemies don't always make great central villains, then again you never know.

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: The Adventurer on 27 June, 2012, 09:16:47 PM
Quote from: radiator on 27 June, 2012, 08:34:07 PMI'd also like to see a take on the 'Democracy' arc though it would probably be problematic to put on screen - perhaps a blend of the human drama of America with the high-stakes, ticking-clock, huge scale action of Total War - a tense thriller where the audience's sympathies constantly flit between the judges and the terrorists. The ambiguous morality of Dredd is something I'd really like to see explored on film.

This is absolutely what I want to see. America+Total War. I think its scope would raise the stakes as a sequel should. And tell an inherently human story as Judge Dredd should. Hell, the title markets itself; Dredd: TOTAL WAR

Yes! I always thought that America with an Action Total War Twist would be perfect for a movie.

Michaelvk

Me being employed on it it probably the least plausable  :lol: :lol: :lol:
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

JOE SOAP

MR. ELIMINATOR

I think a serial killer hunt movie like Silence of the Lambs/Seven would be awesome. Dredd and Anderson team up again to hunt down a mysterious killer (later to revealed to be Judge Death)

Could get to see a lot more of Mega City One that way too.

I do like the look of Karl Urban now, but I still wouldn't mind if they used sequels to get as many different people to play Judge Dredd as possible. Every movie could be a different actor.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 27 June, 2012, 09:44:10 PM
Every movie could be a different actor.

but would they keep the 'elmet on?

MR. ELIMINATOR

Of course! That's the only way the different actors would work in my opinion.

vzzbux

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 27 June, 2012, 09:44:10 PM
I think a serial killer hunt movie like Silence of the Lambs/Seven would be awesome. Dredd and Anderson team up again to hunt down a mysterious killer (later to revealed to be Judge Death)

Could be the hunt for leftie.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: Michaelvk on 27 June, 2012, 09:29:53 PM
Me being employed on it it probably the least plausable  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just keep schtum this time...

Or perhaps they could pay you to run a Peter Jackson style V-log.    ;)