Main Menu

Fantasy sequel Thread.

Started by darnmarr, 27 June, 2012, 05:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michaelvk

Logically taking it outdoors would be a start. I reckon D2 would be shifting the focus from Dredd himself towards Big Meg..

Quote from: Anderson's Shame on 27 June, 2012, 09:55:01 PM

Just keep schtum this time...

Or perhaps they could pay you to run a Peter Jackson style V-log.    ;)

One day I'll tell you what really happened in a pub near you..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

JOE SOAP

Syne

I like the idea of a story involving the angel gang. More fantastical characters like the Dark Judges don't seem to fit well with this world, and I agree with Joe that, rather than reinvent them, we'd be better off using other material.

Robot wars and Mechanismo would fit, however they're not terribly original concepts. A Mechanismo story would look like a rip-off of RoboCop 2, and Spielberg's forthcoming Robopocalypse is going to saturate the robot-revolution genre for the immediate future.

Judge Grice could be turned into something interesting. Forget the Grice of Purgatory and Inferno, focus on the original non-crazy character. Instead of resisting Dredd's attempts at liberalisation (which wouldn't work without the whole Democracy backstory), he could be pushing for excessively harsh crack--downs. When Dredd opts for the status quo, Grice attempts his assassination and makes a bid for power. Cue civil war, fighting in the street - and make sure Walter gets introduced somewhere along the line. . . 

HunterZolomon

For Dredd 2 I very much like the idea of America - Total War that several posters have already mentioned. I could also imagine The Cursed Earth.

As for another sequel: JUDGE DEATH, JUDGE FIRE, JUDGE FEAR, JUDGE MORTIS. A bit of imagination and good judgment is all it takes and these villains would go down in cinematic history.

daviebond

Keeping it simple...The Apocolypse War ftw

Syne

Quote from: daviebond on 28 June, 2012, 09:11:34 AM
Keeping it simple...The Apocolypse War ftw

I dunno, I don't think the world developed in this film would suit that. In the comic, pre-war Mega City 1 was a bloated, overpopulated sprawl that the Sovs proceeded to half-demolish. The movie Mega City already looks half demolished. Might work for movie #3, but we need at least one more film developing things before we start tearing them down.

ming

Quote from: Beeks on 27 June, 2012, 08:52:10 PMWhat about Call Me Kenneth!!!!  :o

Quote from: Beeks on 27 June, 2012, 09:11:51 PMSeriously though..Call Me Kenneth and the Robot Wars story is made for the big screen

Think I-Robot in Mega City One

I'm with you on that one.  I'd really hoped they'd be able to include robots in the upcoming movie, specifically to allow Call Me Kenneth or the Heavy Metal Kid some screen-time.  Just imagine...  That would work so well, even as a fairly throwaway scene.

One thing I'm curious about regarding the Dredd film is the tech-level, and how that might open up or curtail potential follow-up storylines.  No hover-boards, lasers, robots, , face-changing, aliens, muties, Gila Munja..?

Quote from: vzzbux on 27 June, 2012, 09:53:53 PM
Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 27 June, 2012, 09:44:10 PM
I think a serial killer hunt movie like Silence of the Lambs/Seven would be awesome. Dredd and Anderson team up again to hunt down a mysterious killer (later to revealed to be Judge Death)

Could be the hunt for leftie.

Some elements of the Graveyard Shift would be fantastic, that's for sure (Leftie being my favourite sequence).

ming

Howzabout this one:

The Warlord
Now there's a story that would work insanely well as a high-octane standalone action flick, and would incorporate some fantastic elements.  Consider the following:

+ A clear central villain with a not-overcomplicated plot
+ Giant, supernatural Samurai warriors
+ Psi-Judges and Psi-Amplification
+ H-wagons (being taken out with giant bows and arrows)
+ Dredd going on a 'journey' beloved of Hollywood - given up for dead but still prevails
+ Giant, supernatural Samurai warriors
+ Dramatic conclusion involving death of Omar and McGruder stepping down

It'd be great.

a chosen rider

Some combination of Doomsday and Mechanismo might work well, with Nero Narcos as the bad guy behind sabotage of the Judges' equipment and the robot Judges going haywire.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Spaceghost

Can I make my tiresome and mirthless joke about Karl Heinz-Pilchards-In-Tomato-Sauce Clayderman again? Yes? No?

Fuck it -

I hope the villain in the sequel is Karl Heinz-Pilchards-In-Tomato-Sauce Clayderman!!! Remember him? Ho Ho! Imagine that!!! Karl Heinz-Pilchards-In-Tomato-Sauce Clayderman on the big screen. It would be highly amusing not to mention extremely unlikely!!!

But really though, I'd love to see Chopper in the sequel.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

ming

Quote from: Lee Bates on 28 June, 2012, 10:00:49 AMBut really though, I'd love to see Chopper in the sequel.

Chopper would be great, but would confuse the hell out of people in a fils with Dredd.  "He's the good guy, right?  But I thought Dredd was the good guy!  Is Dredd the bad guy?  I'm so conflicted!  I don't understand this!  I'm scared - make it stop!"

Thinking about this some more, quite a few of my favourite Dredd stories are ones where Dredd's not the central focus, or at least somewhat peripheral, so will never get a film treatment and are therefore perfect Fantasy Dredd Film material.

Consider the following list of earlyish stuff off the top of my head that falls into this category:

UnAmerican Graffiti
Shanty Town
The Mega-Rackets series
Magnificent Obsession
The Big Sleep
Midnight Surfer
Kenny Who?
The Witness
The Haunting of Sector House 9
PJ Maybe

a chosen rider

I would love to see The Pit on-screen, but it involves Dredd doing a desk job while supporting characters get much of the focus and the ending isn't particularly dramatic.

Would make an awesome basis for a Dredd TV series, though, if we're talking fantasy spin-offs.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Syne

Quote from: a chosen rider on 28 June, 2012, 09:54:20 AM
Some combination of Doomsday and Mechanismo might work well, with Nero Narcos as the bad guy behind sabotage of the Judges' equipment and the robot Judges going haywire.

Judges against robot-Judges? Are you really that keen to see the cries of "The Raid rip-off!!" replaced with "RoboCop rip-off!!"? Masochist! :D

Syne

Maybe we should just go with Judgement Day. Everyone loves zombies, right! Yay, zombies! Comical wisecracking badguy magician with comical talking cloak! Mutant Bounty Hunter from alternate future! Various radical stereotypes acting all racial! Shotguns with dumb macho names! Zombies! Zombies!

Or not.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Is Judge Dredd a Hero or Villain? Nice question but is a Film really the best medium to explore that? The comics have had a long run of dealing with this issue and probably have done it better than any Film could.

DREDD works best for an audience who know that he's a tough even merciless Cop but the alternative is usually something much worse. I think some DEM movement set off Nuclear weapons to try and discredit the Judge System only to end up being so despised by the citizens of Mega City 1 they overwhelming backed the Judges.

Better Justice Depts Kevlar fists to the promise of freedom they'd allegedly be given by liberators happy to liquidate them by the million. Good satire in a comic not so good for Movie audiences expecting something a little bit different from the original. Familiar but bigger is what they usually want!  :-\
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla