Main Menu

Hello from the USA

Started by JBC, 24 October, 2019, 03:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBC

Hey everybody, long time reader. I first discovered Dredd at my local comic shop back in the early 90's after being taken in by some of Simon Bisley's artwork. I was already a fan of his stuff from the Terminator and Aliens covers he had done for Dark Horse and this made me very curious about the lawman of the future. I think I knew almost right away it had to be a British publication taking a jab at us :-\. Being only 11 or 12 at the time I was a little hesitant, but after picking up a pretty good handful of scattered reprints from Fleetway/Quality I soon realized that the book's criticisms were... hilarious! I scooped up anything Dredd I could find and pretty soon discovered that his world was so much bigger than I had originally assumed, finding amazing spin-offs like PSI Judge Anderson: Engrams and Raptaur. There was even a line over here called 2000 AD Presents that really sealed the deal for me when I picked up some issues reprinting Dredd and Anderson's early encounters with the Dark Judges in full color. From there I was also introduced to other great faves like ABC Warriors, Strontium Dog, Rogue Trooper, Nemesis, and Slaine. What a bunch of weird worlds you Brits create but could I expect anything less from the folks who brought us my favorite artist, Roger Dean, and those Sega Genesis ports of intoxicatingly atmospheric Amiga games? (We got Shadow of the Beast but it's a shame we missed out on Agony. I had to emulate that.)

Now, I've gotta be honest. Keeping up with Dredd over here is not easy if you want physical copies, especially now that the comic shops are going the way of the arcade :'( As I live in rural America (Cursed Earth territory on Dredd's map), there hasn't been a store within 100 miles of me since the late 90's. The only way I was ever able to really get in deep with Dredd's world was though piracy long before the 2000 AD app ever hit smart phones. Surely ole' Joe would have thown me in the cubes for that disc but I'm pleased to announce I'm a reformed man, having just purchased all 33 existing volumes of the Complete Case Files and pre-ordering the 34th. Economy Int'l shipping leaves a lot to be desired, so it may take me up to a month to post a pic in the spines thread to drive you all mad. Looking forward to complementing the set with the TPB's collecting America and other stories that didn't make the cut. Uh, is there a comprehensive list?

A few takes before I go:
- Carlos Ezquerra was my favorite Dredd artist, may he rest in peace
- Judge Dredd 95 and Dredd 2012 would be the perfect movie if you put them in a blender
- There aren't enough good Dredd video games but at least the pin was awesome
- More Americans should read 2000 AD
- Fall of Deadworld is one of the best comics I've read in years
- I hope that TV show happens
- Please revoke IDW's license, they are political activists who are misrepresenting the character and harming the legacy
- Bond 25 is going to be horrible

Anyways thanks for James Bond, Judge Dredd, Judas Priest, David Bowie, the Commodore Amiga, ZX Spectrum, and thanks for reading. I look forward to posting my perspectives here and maybe uploading some reviews of the CCF to YouTube when they arrive.

Colin YNWA

Great first post. Its always helpful that waht we take for granted is a work of great effort for folks overseas.

Hope you enjoy those Case Files when they land and enjoy catching up.

Welcome aboard, have fun.

wedgeski

IndigoPrime

"is there a comprehensive list"

There must be one knocking around somewhere on this board. If you can get hold of them, though, I'd recommend grabbing the Restricted Files (which compile strips from annuals and specials – 2 and 3 are particularly good). Also, Dead Man gives you more context for Necropolis (Case Files 14).

Elsewhere, Judge Anderson has her own Case Files-style volumes (PSI-Files), although I'm not sure they're all in print. Number 2 looks very hard to find. I'm not sure there are any other volumes that directly link to where you're up to with the CFs, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to put me right!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: JBC on 24 October, 2019, 03:46:40 AM
I'm a reformed man, having just purchased all 33 existing volumes of the Complete Case Files and pre-ordering the 34th. Economy Int'l shipping leaves a lot to be desired, so it may take me up to a month to post a pic in the spines thread to drive you all mad. Looking forward to complementing the set with the TPB's collecting America and other stories that didn't make the cut. Uh, is there a comprehensive list?

*blows dust off old infographic*

Quite a bit behind now, but it should help you a bit...

@jamesfeistdraws

Trooper McFad

Welcome aboard - are you a lone figure holding up the beacon in your area or are there other Dredd/2000AD fans in your local area?

If not it may be your duty to spread the word 😃👍🏻
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

maryanddavid

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

dweezil2

Welcome to the board JBC!
Hope you enjoy your stay and look forward to reading more about your experiences as a reader of the galaxy's greatest comic from the perspective of an American resident!!!

Be sure to post your YouTube links when they're up!

:)  :thumbsup:

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Frank

Quote from: dweezil2 on 24 October, 2019, 12:34:06 PM
Be sure to post your YouTube links when they're up! :)  :thumbsup:

Given some of the opinions expressed above, I think I know what kind of Youtube videos they're going to be!

Howdy!, JBC. I'll be honest; those opinions are going to receive a very different reaction here than the friendly welcomes extended above might suggest.

To be fair, that's no different to social media, which is why most of the 2000ad-based groups expressly forbid and close-down discussion of such topics, to spare everyone else the endless clash of jihadis on both sides.

Stick to comics, stay away from the Politics thread, and you'll be fine, buddy.

Rately

JBC

Thank you IndigoPrime & Dark Jimbo, that will help a lot! And thank you everyone else for the warm welcomes :)

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 24 October, 2019, 11:12:25 AM
Welcome aboard - are you a lone figure holding up the beacon in your area or are there other Dredd/2000AD fans in your local area?

If not it may be your duty to spread the word 😃👍🏻

It's just me, I've been out here bringing law to the lawless!

Quote from: dweezil2 on 24 October, 2019, 12:34:06 PM
Hope you enjoy your stay and look forward to reading more about your experiences as a reader of the galaxy's greatest comic from the perspective of an American resident!!!

Be sure to post your YouTube links when they're up!

Will do! It won't be as long as I thought because FedEx tried to deliver the package today while I was at work. 60lbs up three flights of stairs. They should have just left it at the door but instead, despite there being a FedEx across the street, they carried it back to the sorting facility in a town 80 miles away ::)

Quote from: Frank on 24 October, 2019, 01:37:33 PM
I'll be honest; those opinions are going to receive a very different reaction here than the friendly welcomes extended above might suggest.

I'm hardened to it after a lifetime of living in this crazy country!