Main Menu

Prog 2241 - Menace of the Multiverse

Started by Colin YNWA, 17 July, 2021, 09:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Its Saturday,Sat-ur-day, Saturday. It's Saturday, Sat-ur-day, Its a Prog-Day.

Love when a Prog comes on a Saturday and its an interesting one too. As good as last week's... well no BUT. damn it close. And has a beautiful cover by the Dan 'better and better' Cornwell.

Dredd so things start to come together and its all very interesting. However its the way Dredd handles lead Judge Park that is the absolute highlight.

Skip Tracer - another EXCELLENT episode. See it wasn't hard was it. All you need to do Mr Peaty was give us something to care about between the action. This one is turning into a bit of an unexpected winner!

Department K remains an absolute treat as villians let lose and heroes resist. Magnificent.

Sinister Dexter's return is of course the main point of interest. I don't think many will be surprised by the[spoiler] return of Ray and Tracy[/spoiler] but the way its handled is magnificent AND we have the Mighty Yeowell back on are - I thought he'd left us. So happy about that. Now if we can just get the scheduling sorted and give us the Epic we were promised we could be in a winner here...

Aquila - another strong, brutal episode and eye, eye that's quite the ending! Brilliant stuff.

So yeah the Prog was always going to struggle when it lost Chimpsky, it was always going to struggle to match everything being on quite the top form the thrills where last time BUT Good God Damn and other such phases it damn well does its best and not a bad effort at all.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 17 July, 2021, 09:18:25 PM
Sinister Dexter's return is of course the main point of interest. .... AND we have the Mighty Yeowell back on are - I thought he'd left us. So happy about that. Now if we can just get the scheduling sorted and give us the Epic we were promised we could be in a winner here...

I looks like Tazio Bettin will take-over art duties from Yeowell for the next part of the "epic". Yes, I agree I would be nice if we can have a prolonged run rather then these fragmentation mini-runs.

Anthony Garnon

Oh, very excited to see Tazio's art in the prog!

He did a UK signing back in 2016 or 2017 at Forbidden Planet. I was running the signings back then, and we got talking about likes, and I gave him Brink to read. He was blown away! Nice guy, and a big comics fan.

IndigoPrime

Another issue where, on paper, there are at least three series I wouldn't usually care a jot about, and yet I enjoyed the entire Prog. Good work, droids!

The Monarch

I feel like the impact of [spoiler]sinister[/spoiler] is kinda ruined by the fact the story so far blurbs just straight up spoiled it

[spoiler]Got a chuckle about the true idenity of the enemy a.i being their old sat nav though that was fun[/spoiler]

Barrington Boots

Monday Prog for me but thanks to an exceptionally quiet 'Freedom Day' morning I've been able to read it already. Wicked, striking cover from Dan Cornwell but sadly the Prog within did not entirely delight.

Dredd is the exception - masterful as ever. There's a lot of information conveyed: Dredd himself is excellent, the story now seems to laid out but I think there's more going on than at first seems. Lots of black humour as well. And what about that little Justice duck?

Skip Tracer - This is better than it's been but it's so slow and formulaic in it's pacing and it's main character is still struggling to rise beyond generic.

Department K I think I've made my feelings on this known and this episode didn't change things.

Sinister Dexter What a disappointment. I feel this strip has been running on fumes for a while now (not helped, in fairness, by the irregular pacing of the current arc) and killing one of the leads was a bold move to shake things up [spoiler]so reversing that[/spoiler] - I'm not into it whatsoever. This AI storyline has been running for ever (again, not helped by the irregular pacing) and I just want this to end. [spoiler]Nice touch in the AI being the Satnav but how does Weld know everything when she's only been awake a couple of minutes longer than Finnegan?[/spoiler]

Aquila - It may be because I read the last three strips with increasing grumpiness, but this episode felt a little bit on the rushed side. No complaints here though and some really striking images - the centaurs were good, but how great is that last page?

The prospect of a Prog next week with SinDex, Department K and Skip Tracer in it does not hugely enthuse. Still, that's the breaks with an anthology I guess!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

Another solid prog.

Dredd – So Wagner is weaving the storylines together wonderfully. We can now start to see where everything is going with a Judge killer on the one-side and copycat revenge seeker the other. Wagner just knows how to tell a story and do not forget about the Higgins great supporting act.

Skip Tracer – So far so good, I am enjoying this so far. One thing is that Peaty really do not want us to like Nolan. It is almost every time he says something it just confirms to us that we will not like him. Lovely art from Marshall and Teague as always.

Department K – Well it took awhile but we now know where the storyline is heading. The Fantastic Four will have to face Thanos in a battle to either save or destroy the multi-verse.

Sinister – Interesting start to the new arc in the epic. Love Yeowell's simplistic style here and it works for the story. Now back to Abnetts tale [spoiler]and I always tough how would he bring back Sinister and yes almost like my running theory: Basically, the main enemy now is an AI and I think that Sinister whole personality, whom he is and what he is was downloaded into this virtual world so he can be resurrected by downloading his personality back into a clone or even an android.[/spoiler] Now please let us have a prolong run here. 

Aquila – Great action filled episode with a great cliff-hanger to end the episode. Solid stuff again from Rennie and Goddard.

Richard S.

Love a Dan Cornwell cover (and his interior art too, lol) - anyway, I've logged all his contributions for the prog & the meg https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/2021/07/updated-dan-cornwell-for-2000ad-megazine.html
For 2,500+ other posts about all aspects of British comics then why not check out my blog at
https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/

Follow me on twitter @richardandsheaf

norton canes

NTWICJ: Brilliantly written, it almost goes without saying; seems a bit of a patchwork plot-wise but I'm sure it'll all come together

Skip Tracer: So dry. Needs daring, needs humour, needs quirks and twists, needs... something

Department K: This would be perfect for the Regened issues, and that's not damning it with faint praise - it's really good, but for me it doesn't quite suit the regular prog.

Sinister: Well, we've certainly taken the long route to get to that punchline. Please, Tharg, give this an extended run and let it attain come critical mass.

Aquila: Excellent stuff, with a gruesome little moment that's made more distressing by its suddenness

'Judge Dredd: The Musical', huh? Shades of Robo-Hunter's 'Play It Again, Sam'?

broodblik

Sean SD

My Top 3 for Prog 2241

1st - Dredd - JD now on the case, Last Gasp sanitorium, quack quack lol!

2nd - Aquila - Eye, eye Captain, great last page

3rd - Department K - Blackcurrant for the win

btw Cool cover by Dan Cornwell

Funt Solo

Department K's Magic Beam Weapons of Required Narrative Outcome are really frustrating. They completely destroy the body-zombies by tearing them apart but when the character from an old Ribena advert shoots the mini-Collosi aliens with his Magic Beam Weapon of Required Narrative Outcome, it seems to have the effect of discolouring them (like in a Looney Tunes cartoon, until the next episode).

They're pretty annoyed at being discoloured, so they fire their Magic Beam Weapons of Required Narrative Outcome at Ribena-man, which makes him go "NNF!", but otherwise shows no sign of having hurt him in any way.

That might all be okay, I suppose, if this was a kid's comic [aha!], where you need to make sure that nobody actually gets hurt. But, turn back a couple of pages to watch the old decrepit person getting gratuitously drowned in a bath. Or skip forward a few and see someone having their eye plucked out in Hell.

Skip Tracer is maybe the half way house, but it seems like Blake Pentax shouldn't be scared of anyone because when the going get's tough, he uses his magic WHOOOOMPF powers to knock everyone over, then he runs away again. I don't know why he runs. He has magic WHOOOOMPF powers.

I know, I know - Department K isn't for me - it's for a collected edition to sell to Children of Squaxx, and I'm just funding it's development. But why am I funding it's development?

[/rant]
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

AlexF

2 in the morning on a Sunday seems exactly the right time for this kind of rant, and I have to agree with you on finding the wepaons/powers based plot mechanics annoying.