Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 27 May, 2014, 05:52:44 PM
No. I wouldn't ignore the symbolism of the name of the drinking establishment either.

Many of that watering hole's former weekend comics mart clientele probably wouldn't spit on him if he was on fire.

The Legendary Shark

Well, a new low.
Been trying to negotiate with He-Who-Has-Been-Named-Yet-Will-No-Longer-Be-Named, via email, to rescue my possessions. At the end I'm told that I won't be allowed anywhere near the flat due to "health and safety" concerns. He's using the "disturbing the peace" thing (which I was never charged with), the "assaulting a police officer" thing (of which I am innocent - or at least innocent until proven guilty in next month's hearing) and a "resisting arrest" thing (dredged up from his own imagination) to cry about his terror of getting lamped. He's holding everything I own to ransom. I wonder if he'd treat a member of his own family in this manner, or be content to see them treated thus by someone else?
The worst part is that it f*ucks the kind people up who have agreed to help me and now must reorganise for yet another day.
Well, at least now I know what a piece of shit feels like, or a 30s German Jew, or a modern immigrant. It's no wonder people kill themselves when treated like this. (I won't do that, don't worry, but by God I'm learning how some people can see it as the only answer when confronted with such blind bigotry.) I do feel like screaming, though.
Ffs.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Feck's sake Shark, how awful.  In a catalogue of crap, this one really stands out.

Try your best not to allow them to make you feel that way.  You know that's how they work, by trying to make you a non-person, but the support of your friends and neighbours shows that this is not going to work.

What's more, spurious citation of 'Health & Safety' is the last refuge of the ignorant and desperate, and undermines the real and serious business of accident prevention. I've seen it used time and again as a trump card by the worst kind of officious shits to get their way.  Even toddlers understand the implications of the Boy Who Cried Wolf.

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, Tordels. In the end it's just stuff,  and the world is full of stuff. My conscience is clear, though, and I can be smug as I like with the fact that I would Never treat another human being with such callous disregard - not even him.
I long ago asked myself if I was prepared to lose everything by taking this path and decided that I was. Sure it stings but I'm not going to lose everything and I've gained some new friends, am starting off along a path I'd never considered before, have learned a lot about myself, discovered a strength and determination I never knew I had and done something that many people are too scared to even contemplate. And, of course, it ain't over yet. As a certain semi-cybernetic psycho might say, "it ain't over less'n I say it's over!" *bok*
A lot of folk probably think I'm a fool but I regret nothing. I picked a fight with tyranny and I'm still here. Granted, the tyrants are still here too but this is one shark that isn't afraid of them any more - and maybe that's enough to inspire one or two more people to stand up to them too, and that one or two might do a better job than I did and inspire two or three others and so on.
I am human - hear me roar!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Theblazeuk

Get someone else to go get your stuff

Try to trick him into explaining how exactly you were "breaching the peace" by doing sod all in your flat.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 27 May, 2014, 11:55:34 PM
A lot of folk probably think I'm a fool...

You say that like it's a bad thing.  All the best people are fools, it's how the world moves forward, the stumble that turns into a step. 

What people worry about is that you are too hard on yourself, and try to fight on ground that you should cede if you hope to keep on fighting. 

There must - must - be some simple, easily accessed, grounds on which a human, convicted of no crime, can have reasonable access to his worldy possessions, a right which has to supersede the arse-covering witterings of some twat with a title. 

I know you've been asked this before, but surely Citizen's Advice can help?  Or even (for all that you reject the processes of government) your Councillors or your MP?  I can't believe that this situation can be allowed to stand through any means other than through systemic inertia.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 May, 2014, 07:23:05 PM
What's more, spurious citation of 'Health & Safety' is the last refuge of the ignorant and desperate, and undermines the real and serious business of accident prevention. I've seen it used time and again as a trump card by the worst kind of officious shits to get their way.

The H&SE has been getting quite stroppy about this of late. It may worth trying to pin down The Officious Shit™ on the precise nature of the supposed issue and then grassing him up to the local H&SE office — they're taking an increasingly dim view of being used as a catch-all excuse for arse-covering by other organisations.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

You're all correct, of course and I do have plans which, I know you'll understand, I don't want to make public just yet.
I have a small group of friends who have agreed to retrieve my most important possessions whilst I sit tight elsewhere on the other end of the 'phone. Friends and neighbours are going to store some of it and taking the opportunity to look at it as a radical "spring cleaning" exercise, paid for by the council.
In this instance I immediately capitulated to the council's "fears" and agreed to stay away without argument. I will stick to that agreement to demonstrate my aversion to violence for the record. (I have been firm but polite throughout this process. For example, for the last 12 months and more every letter I have written to the council man has begun with "Hello S______, I hope that you are well" and ends "My best to you and yours" and contain no name calling or threats.)
My behaviour, attitude and actions must remain reasonable, calm and - above all - lawful. It's difficult, of course, but I have to play the long game here and be prepared to make sacrifices. This works in my favour as I can change direction and approach at the drop of a hat if need be whilst the council cannot. I am small, mobile and adaptable whilst the council is big, fixed and mired in its processes.
When it comes to the CAB, and various housing departments and charities, can only help on government terms - meaning that I have to 'sign on' (with all the faffing about and detrimental agreements that entails) before I become "entitled" to that help. You'd be surprised how many people from these organisations have told me, off the record, that by refusing to go that way and operating from off the grid is the best way to get results in the long run as it leaves my hands untied and my options far less limited. Although this path is undoubtedly harder it does give me a better chance in the long run.
I'm not allowing the council to dictate everything that happens. For example, I refuse to deal with anyone other than SJ and made this clear many months ago. Every time I get a letter from some other council bod I always reply to SJ and simply refuse to deal with anyone else. SJ thought that, after the unlawful eviction, his part in the story was over and I became the responsibility of another person in another department but he was wrong. Now he's having to deal with it all. I'm not even going over his head to the CEO of the council - so, he's on his own and it doesn't matter what anyone else says, writes or thinks. This ensures that I'm always in contact with the one person intimately familiar with my case and there's none of this "I need some time to review the history of this case before I can act". It also presents a single target for any court actions I may take in the future and doesn't diffuse the blame across several people and departments. It keeps things simple for me and complicates the Hell out of things for them. Another advantage of this approach is that, if I can demonstrate that this one person has acted unlawfully or exceeded his jurisdiction then I can hold him to account personally instead of fighting a large and diffuse organisation. It also leaves the council with what might become the tempting option to cut him loose and even (in the best of all possible outcomes) taking my side against this 'rogue employee' who has acted beyond his authority. In short, it leaves the council a huge escape route - to which I own the padlock.
When it comes to the law (and this is why I think this whole recent European election thing is worse than pointless), I have already cited European and national legislation in my letters to SJ - which he has ignored. For example (and without access to my notes I can't cite this exactly), EU law states that everyone has a right to a home and a right to the uninterrupted enjoyment of their possessions. SJ simply ignored this - on his own volition or under orders I can't say, so that's something for the courts to decide.
The worst part is the lack of money. With no transport or cash for buses/taxis I can't currently get to work, use the laundrette or even buy bread/gas/electricity etc. I'm casting about for casual work but everyone's skint and I'm even contemplating going off with my little dog and a cardboard sign to do some begging but I really, really don't want to do this.
If anyone's got any proof-reading, copy writing or comic scripts they need doing then give me a call - reasonable rates!
I'm on a long, hard road but it could be a lot longer and it could be a lot harder. All I have to do is keep calm and carry on, and the support I'm getting from my friends, neighbours and fellow Squaxx is invaluable to me in this endeavour.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Dear Mister Shark,

I would like to apologize for explain my silence over the course of your ordeal. I have offered no support because at no point have I believed you needed any from me. The courage you have shown in your conviction speaks for itself, and far outstrips my own.

I have also offered no advice, partly because I only have your account to go by, and therefore probably don't entirely understand the subtleties. This is a not an accusation of lying by omission on your part, just an acknowledgement of the limited information you are able to share on an online comic forum, given everything you're going through. Mostly, I have offered no advice, because again, I don't think you really need any from me.

Yours faithfully,

Mister Pops and his Four Bottles of Stout.

P.S. All my best to you and yours.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

Don't be daft, Mister Pops, neither you, your bottles of stout or anyone else has anything to apologise for or explain. If anyone should be apologising it's me - for dumping all my crap on you good people without so much as a 'by your leave.'
I am well aware that many people might find my posts worrying or even upsetting and I have absolutely no issues whatsoever with what anyone chooses to post or not to post for whatever reason.
I would also point out that what you've just posted about how incredibly awesome I am is more than enough to help me keep strong and demonstrate your own wisdom in not posting just for the sake of it.
The same goes for everyone. I post here mainly for my own sake, to let off a bit of steam. Putting everything into words also helps me to marshal my own thoughts. The comments and perspectives, ideas and suggestions of others are very helpful to me but I in no way expect or demand them - they're just a useful bonus for which I am extremely grateful but not particularly deserving.
As you know, I am a great believer in personal freedom and have the utmost respect for other people's lives and views. You have never done me any harm and that's the height of respectability in my book - so kick back and have another bottle with a clear conscience.
Our very best wishes to you and yours,
Me and my little dog (who also has nothing to say but whom I still love to bits).
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Don't knock yourself down, Sharky! Their's plenty of people in the world nasty enough to do it for you!

The Legendary Shark

I really wasn't knocking myself down, Hawkie, I just don't see myself as anything special - I'm no more or less than anyone else. If I'm hard on myself it's because I feel I have to be - I think it helps me to stay grounded.
If I posted here with the attitude that I'm always right and the rest of the world is always wrong (which sometimes I do, I fear) or that I am completely awesome and perfect (which of course I am) then you'd soon get sick of me...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 28 May, 2014, 09:18:36 PM
If I posted here with the attitude that I'm always right and the rest of the world is always wrong (which sometimes I do, I fear) or that I am completely awesome and perfect (which of course I am) then you'd soon get sick of me...

You do realize this is this internet? That's essentially how things work here.
You may quote me on that.

Prodigal2

I was going to say something about Norn Iron and who we trust to send to the shops but I am not sure how/where to start.

Despair would probably be a key word in my post though.

Who needs houses when we can have caves?

The Legendary Shark

Jim, may I send you a PM please?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]