Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

Yes the counter point from the original intent to the present day reality would be laughably absurd if it were not for the at best insanely disproportionate responses to defenceless citizens, or at worst the shaping up of a government which is militarised to such an extent that one is left with little option but to think they are becoming the tyrant feared by the founders. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Legendary Shark

When I'm Supreme Chancellor, I'm going to make it compulsory that everyone must carry a sword and practice at least once a week. My stormtroopers, of course, will have plasma blasters in case any of those filthy peasant swordspeople get any ideas.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 August, 2014, 02:37:30 PM
Quote from: ZenArcade on 15 August, 2014, 02:15:47 PM
The amendment is totally outside any relevance in terms of time or effectiveness.
I assume it was drafted and endorsed for the original (noble) reason that it was a reasonable preposition that an armed citizenry (presumably with muskets, pistols, swords and possibly cannon of some sorts) would have a reasonable chance of deposing a government which oppressed or was inimical to what was set out in the bill of rights or constitution.

It's also worth noting that America at the time had no standing army, and no guarantee that the British wouldn't come back and have another go at reclaiming the territory — the American revolution was greatly aided by France, who pretty much bankrupted themselves in the process. The second amendment was drafted while France was in the grip of a bloody revolution with no real guarantee what the political landscape would look like when the dust settled, so "A well regulated Militia" was most certainly "necessary to the security of a free State", and thus eminently sensible that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed".

Whilst not empowered to speak on behalf of the UK government, I feel broadly confident that a British invasion of the US is fairly unlikely.

Ironically, the situation in Ferguson looks like exactly the kind of government tyranny the NRA gun nuts claim they need their second amendment rights to defend against, and yet...

Cheers

Jim

Sidenote here but these posts just reminded me that Brian Wood's follow-up to Northlanders is going to be a series at Dark Horse about Revolutionary-era America and he has stated one arc will be called "A Well Regulated Milita" and I for one can't wait for this series!

von Boom

Just came across this image in regards to the Ferguson USA protests. I don't think I like this.

The Legendary Shark

I have my own conspiracy theory as to why the Dredd movie didn't do so well - it was suppressed.
Those pesky elites, who ultimately fund just about everything, would love the Judges and MC1 to be a reality but Dredd's too on the nose - showing the dangers of an elitist ruling police force. So they simply ignored it - no media chatter, no buzz, no attention.
Contrast the Marvel films, where the US army is ubiquitous and doesn't really bother with international borders. In FF2, the US troops set up in Germany to capture the Silver Surfer with no mention of the German armed forces. A subtle reinforcement of the more "cuddly" form of elite US troops being a global protector with the right to go anywhere and do anything.
Dredd is more important today than he's ever been. As a great writer once said, "the job of science fiction is not always to predict the future but, sometimes, to prevent it."
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Montynero

Deaths from police shootings (latest available year)

Hmmm. I wonder if these statistics could be in anyway linked to the weapons the police are equipped with, and the mindset that engenders?

It's interesting that Deputy chief constable Iain Livingstone considers "Our policing purpose is to keep people safe against all potential threats." to justify the glocks on police hips at routine UK incidents. That is of course exactly the same justification police in Missouri use for lobbing tear gas into your front garden.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/321446/undefined-headline-477/

The Ferguson photos accompanying this story really do look like a still from the Dredd film. So whereas Dredd seems to us an exotically satirical fantasy, for many Americans it's simply uncomfortable viewing.

http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21613272-police-missouri-suburb-demonstrate-how-not-quell-riot-overkill

Old Tankie

America, land of the free (not).

Hawkmumbler

Land of the free if you fit a narrow criteria. White, rich and famous.

von Boom

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 22 August, 2014, 11:28:12 AM

What does one out of three get me?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: von Boom on 22 August, 2014, 12:24:01 PM

Not being shot as your not black or any other minority.

I, Cosh

Quote from: von Boom on 22 August, 2014, 12:24:01 PM
Anonymous begging letters.
We never really die.

The Legendary Shark

According to this link, people with guns in the USA are far more likely to shoot themselves than anyone else: www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/05/24/suicides-account-for-most-gun-deaths/
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Montynero on 22 August, 2014, 09:26:20 AM
Deaths from police shootings (latest available year)

That figure is also highly suspect - it only records how many of these were 'justified'.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-many-americans-the-police-kill-each-year/

The Legendary Shark

Teach everyone about guns at school - what they are, how they work and the consequences of misuse. Peace through superior brain-power, to coin a phrase.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Grugz

or a field trip to Iraq and Syria  lets see isis be brave (behind their balaclavas) when confronted by a few pickups of moonshined up southern boys...yee haaa!
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html