Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CheechFU

Tomb Raider

Would be amazing if they had replaced the horrible quick time events with actual tombs to raid.  :(

radiator

Quote from: JamesC on 17 January, 2014, 10:17:06 PM
Quote from: radiator on 17 January, 2014, 02:53:58 PM
Does Assassin's Creed 4 still have the stupid, ridiculous 'sci-fi/genetic memory flashback' framing device?

Heaven help us if computer games aren't allowed silly Sci Fi elements!

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that I might be tempted to play an Assassin's Creed game if didn't have all that junk (which is apparently only there because Ubisoft thought gamers wouldn't want to play a straight historical adventure game).

jackstarr

QuoteTomb Raider

Would be amazing if they had replaced the horrible quick time events with actual tombs to raid.  :(
Gah, I was hoping they'd done away with those.  I bought the complete Tomb Raider collection on Steam, and am still making my way through them - Tomb Raider 1 and 2 are still my favourites (number 2 in particular, as it was my first TR game that I bought when it was new), and I still can't get to grips with the control system implemented by Crystal Dynamics when they took over...I try to get her to go one way, and she ends up going another.

I'm up to Anniversary now - as of Legend, I've given up on the boss fights, they're really not my thing, and are just frustrating - so am cheating to skip those once I've got a feel for how annoying they are.

Not a fan of QTEs either.  Make up your mind, either give me a cutscene to watch, or let me play the game properly.

Was really hoping that the reboot would be more to my taste - but from what you're saying, it seems like more of the same but without the tombs? :(

JamesC

Quote from: radiator on 18 January, 2014, 10:58:46 AM
Quote from: JamesC on 17 January, 2014, 10:17:06 PM
Quote from: radiator on 17 January, 2014, 02:53:58 PM
Does Assassin's Creed 4 still have the stupid, ridiculous 'sci-fi/genetic memory flashback' framing device?

Heaven help us if computer games aren't allowed silly Sci Fi elements!

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that I might be tempted to play an Assassin's Creed game if didn't have all that junk (which is apparently only there because Ubisoft thought gamers wouldn't want to play a straight historical adventure game).

Sorry, I was being facetious.
To answer your question, yes it does have a sci-fi framing device although there's far less emphasis on it in this installment. It's basically just there to set up a quest for you to embark on and to offer some context for the rules which you have to play by (for example some parts of the map will be locked early on because your character, at that point in his life, has no memory of them).
Each of the modern day sections lasts just a few minutes and sometimes requires a simple puzzle to be solved. There aren't loads of cut-scenes to sit through or anything.
Basically, if you like the idea of all the piratey adventure stuff don't be put off by the sci-fi bits -they're a very small part of the game.
AC4 is tremendous fun. I'd say its far and away the best AC game they've made.

radiator

Maybe I'll give it a try some day - I do love the idea of an open world pirate game, I was the one guy who actually enjoyed all the sailing/exploring in Wind Waker and the DS Zelda game.

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 18 January, 2014, 02:35:51 PM
I was the one guy who actually enjoyed all the sailing/exploring in Wind Waker and the DS Zelda game.

Permission to come aboard Cap'n?

JamesC

I've just been playing Rayman Legends on the a Wii U. It's a wonderful game and absolutely choka block full of things to do.
People complain about games being too expensive but games like this make me think that they've never been such good value.

CheechFU

Quote from: jackstarr on 18 January, 2014, 11:17:34 AM
QuoteTomb Raider

Gah, I was hoping they'd done away with those.  I bought the complete Tomb Raider collection on Steam, and am still making my way through them - Tomb Raider 1 and 2 are still my favourites (number 2 in particular, as it was my first TR game that I bought when it was new), and I still can't get to grips with the control system implemented by Crystal Dynamics when they took over...I try to get her to go one way, and she ends up going another.

I'm up to Anniversary now - as of Legend, I've given up on the boss fights, they're really not my thing, and are just frustrating - so am cheating to skip those once I've got a feel for how annoying they are.

Not a fan of QTEs either.  Make up your mind, either give me a cutscene to watch, or let me play the game properly.

Was really hoping that the reboot would be more to my taste - but from what you're saying, it seems like more of the same but without the tombs? :(

There are a few "tombs". They are hidden bonus areas with a puzzle and no real reward, you can skip them and not miss anything of value.

Theblazeuk

I enjoyed the sailing! The shine wore off sometimes though, mainly when I just wanted to get somewhere before having to go to school

Link Prime

Quote from: JamesC on 18 January, 2014, 08:23:07 PM
I've just been playing Rayman Legends on the a Wii U. It's a wonderful game and absolutely choka block full of things to do.
People complain about games being too expensive but games like this make me think that they've never been such good value.

I've never played a Rayman game, mainly cause they've always seemed aimed at a (much) younger age group.
I can't believe the amount of positive reviews I've read about Legends though- I'm gonna have to pick it up on the cheap to check out.

radiator

So I thought I'd give Assassin's Creed 4 a try based on the recommendations here (and an Edge 9/10) and a couple of hours in I'm really not impressed. Bear in mind I've never played an AC game before.

The gameplay so far feels, in a word, clunky. The movement is jerky and frustrating (keeps making me climb things when all I want to do is run), the signposting seems vague and player interface poor. Other than that, I just seem to spend all my time being randomly attacked by soldiers who seem almost impossible to shake, and slowly following NPCs around. The pretentious sci if story stuff can eat a dick - who's idea was it to have such a clutter of crap all over the HUD, and have things randomly glitching all the time? Totally takes me out of the game. The graphics make for pretty screenshots but move jerkily and the animation feels weirdly disjointed.

So yeah, not keen. Suspect this'll be going on ebay if it doesn't engage me very soon.

JamesC

Quote from: radiator on 21 January, 2014, 05:30:40 PM
So I thought I'd give Assassin's Creed 4 a try based on the recommendations here (and an Edge 9/10) and a couple of hours in I'm really not impressed. Bear in mind I've never played an AC game before.

The gameplay so far feels, in a word, clunky. The movement is jerky and frustrating (keeps making me climb things when all I want to do is run), the signposting seems vague and player interface poor. Other than that, I just seem to spend all my time being randomly attacked by soldiers who seem almost impossible to shake, and slowly following NPCs around. The pretentious sci if story stuff can eat a dick - who's idea was it to have such a clutter of crap all over the HUD, and have things randomly glitching all the time? Totally takes me out of the game. The graphics make for pretty screenshots but move jerkily and the animation feels weirdly disjointed.

So yeah, not keen. Suspect this'll be going on ebay if it doesn't engage me very soon.

Sounds like you really need to spend some time learning how to play the game. If you're convinced it's not for you and you don't want to practice then fair enough but from your post it seems as though you should give it a bit of time.

Soldiers won't randomly attack - it's all to do with your notoriety level and whether you're doing something you shouldn't be (like running over rooftops for example). Smoke bombs and hiding places should be used for escape (when soldiers are in pursuit - which should almost never happen if you're playing properly - a yellow pursuit marker means you've broken line of sight and can hide).

Another good tip is to make plenty of use of your blending ability (mixing in crowds, sitting on benches or walking with groups of courtesans who you've hired). You can also hire groups of pirates as you run past them. They'll attack your pursuers giving you time to escape.

The control system works brilliantly once you get used to it. The first I played was AC2 and it took me a while to get the feel of it but once it clicks you won't have a problem. As a pointer - don't hold the run button down and try to steer you character around obstacles. You should really use it as a contextual run/climb button and it rarely needs more than a tap at a time. If you're trying to get across the world quickly use a combination of short sprints and shortcuts over obstacles.

The HUD may have a lot of info but it's all useful - make sure you know how to read it.

It may be worth having a quick look at some of the Wikis available. I can see how some of the staple AC elements probably aren't introduced very well for new players but I would urge you to stick with the game a little longer. I barely think about enemy soldiers unless I'm on a mission and hardly ever fumble a jump which gives me plenty of time to enjoy all the good stuff. I wouldn't class myself as a particularly skilled gamer either.

shaolin_monkey

Bear with it Radiator! You need to get through about 15% of the story before the open world truly becomes available, and then you take to the high seas for all kinds of addictive pirate jiggery-pokery.

radiator

Thanks for the tips James, very helpful.

You're correct in that it doesn't really feel designed for new players, assumes quite a lot of prior knowledge and feels very counterintuitive in certain ways. For instance, the very first thing you have do in the game is run around climbing things, then suddenly you're penalised for doing so. When I got tasked with tailing two guys my first instinct was to spy on them from the rooftops, ninja-style, but kept getting shot. It seems a bit of a shame that you're not 'allowed' to explore the city at your leisure as the free running is quite fun.

It also keeps asking me to do things, and only afterwards gives the tutorial on how to actually do the thing i just had to do. I had to repeat the first few missions over and over because I felt like I didn't really understand what was going on or why I kept failing. This wouldn't happen in a better-designed game.

As for the controls, I may eventually get used to them, but in my mind game controls should click straight away - it's a broad generalisation, but controls and how a game 'feels' is something Japanese developers seem to still be far better at than Western devs. The poor frame rate doesn't help matters.

JamesC

Once the world opens up a bit there's plenty of opportunity to stalk across the rooftops, using a blowpipe, stealth assassinations or distractions to keep any guards out of the way.

It's quite interesting to hear about the troubles you've been having with accessibility - as a follower of the series it's something that hadn't really occurred to me. I know that AC3 was quite heavily criticised for having too lengthy a tutorial/introductory sequence so it's obviously a balance the developers are struggling with.