Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

My wii was well worth the purchase purely for No More Heroes 1&2, and the fact I could get a gamecube copy of Killer 7 and run that on it. It was the console where my love affair with Grasshopper/Suda 51 games began so I remember it fondly.

The afore-mentioned Dead Space: Extraction was very good too, and Wario Ware was a laugh with some drunk mates, but that was about it really.

Rogue Trooper came out on it, but by then it was the 3rd console I'd owned that game on, and the wii controls meant it was the weakest version.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 08 September, 2014, 10:38:39 AM

Rogue Trooper came out on it, but by then it was the 3rd console I'd owned that game on, and the wii controls meant it was the weakest version.

Yeah, same for me - I owned it on PC and Xbox by that point. 

I was really disappointed with the Wii version.  On the one hand they'd cleaned the visuals up a little.  For example, one port had some lovely scum sea vistas.  However, the controls were screwed.  First of all, it popped to cover when the program guessed you wanted to, instead of going to cover at a button push previously.  It would either not go to cover, or go to cover at totally inappropriate moments. It was so broken you had no choice but to run and gun, and this loss of tactical nuance destroyed one of the best things about the game.  Also, the wobbly wiimote aiming reticule made it very difficult to hit anything, even with Gunnar compensating for you.

strangelysaucy

thanks for that! I was about to buy this for Wii in a retromaniacal moment..I shan't bother now :D
props, scribbles and fiddle-aboutery - https://www.facebook.com/Strangelysaucy

Zenith 666

Everyone buy sin and punishment you will not be dissapointed.id recommend xenoblade but it's two expensive.

radiator

That's a shame about RT. I thought the Wii controls on resi 4 worked great but that cover thing sounds like a nightmare.

Tiplodocus

I remember having the odd problem with RT on the WII but not so much that it ruined the game for me.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

Yeah I should probably stress it was still a very enjoyable game, just slightly less so for the addition of the motion controls.

Hawkmumbler

Never Ending Nightmare

Obviouse joke concerning the title not withstanding, this game is genius. And it really is a deeply personal one to myself. You play as Thomas, a young man seemingly caught in a constant cycle of horror and misery over him seemingly murdering his own sister.

In actual fact it is ver different to what you might have expected. Heavy spoiler warning.

[spoiler]The entire game is a single nightmare from the mind of Thomas, who after battling with depression and personality disorders for years attemtped suicide before the games setting occured. The mental manifestations of giant defformed babies, piles of bodies, sensory deprived mental patients and a grinning, axe wielding specter of yourself as well as images of you ripping out your veins and splitting your fore arms with a crow bar are ll analogies for depression and self harm.

Game mechanics are simple, point and click and basick up and down keys are all you need. But it's the twisted, childrens ilustration type designs and the soundtrack (oh my god, the soundtrack.....) that set up the atmosphere. And it's terrifying nd bleak and isolating. Like depression.

As I said, this game is genius, and as someone who has struggled through depression and self harm before now, the game resonates with me, though it has that grimness to it that can appeal to people whom it does not.
[/spoiler]

Grugz

still obsessing with witcher 2 assasins of kings ...discovered a whole new story by siding with an elf
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

radiator

Playing Shovel Knight on Steam.

It's everything I wanted it to be - a retro-styled game that is challenging to play without getting too frustrating. Great chiptune music too.

JamesC

Shadow of Mordor

This is probably the most derivative game I've ever played, being equal parts Arkham and Assassin's Creed with a bit of Tomb Raider thrown in for good measure. Having said that, the whole thing has been done so well that it doesn't really matter. I haven't got far enough into the game to really appreciate the Nemesis system yet but it already feels like the baddies have a bit more personality than the generic thugs you fight in many games.
I think I'm going to get plenty of fun out of this one.

shaolin_monkey

Yeah, I pretty much agree with what you say above.  The immediate gameplay mechanics have so obviously been ripped off from Arkham City!! In particular the combat.

I'm finding it quite engaging, but nothing is screaming 'next-gem' at me. On the plus side, there's shitloads of great orc characters, and if there's one thing I like in a game, it's shitloads of orcs!!

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: JamesC on 04 October, 2014, 11:26:34 AM
Shadow of Mordor

This is probably the most derivative game I've ever played, being equal parts Arkham and Assassin's Creed with a bit of Tomb Raider thrown in for good measure. Having said that, the whole thing has been done so well that it doesn't really matter. I haven't got far enough into the game to really appreciate the Nemesis system yet but it already feels like the baddies have a bit more personality than the generic thugs you fight in many games.

I think I'm going to get plenty of fun out of this one.

I'm waiting for that to download right now after buying it weeks earlier.

I'm also waiting for Alien Isolation do the same and it may be hours....days.....

Grugz

giving dragons dogma dark arisen another go .
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

The Enigmatic Dr X

So, I finally finished Starcraft: Brood War this morning.

I re-stareted the original Starcraft in May and have been playing it fairly steadily since, maybe at the rate of a level every other day (there are 60), with a break for Wolfenstein.

The final level was rock hard. My time (remember when games timed you?) was 4h51m on the last level. To put that into perspective, my next longest time was 1h42m.

I'm now going to dust off the Xbox: I have Shadows of the Damned and Syndicate to mosey through, and I might give Red Dead Redemption another go, too.
Lock up your spoons!