Main Menu

Favourite CURRENT art droid - 3rd Place Play-off - Simon Fraser or Simon Davis

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 February, 2021, 06:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

And so as we rev up for the finals we get a very fitting 3rd place play-off and a final 'Battle of the Simons'. Not much else to say about either of these titans of the comic, except to maybe note how both are so closely associated with strip that helped saved 2000ad in the 90s*. Simon F with Dante and Simon D with Sinister Dexter, the two strip that formed a triumvirate with Wagner's Dredd to help David Bishop rebuild the comic over time. For that we owe them both so much'.

Alas we have to pick our favourite and to do so just pop the name of the art droid you'd most like to grab bronze. It really helps if you use BOLD tags or otherwise make your vote clear.

*Copyright Colin.YNWA's much aired opinion which has no real bearing on reality

Simon Fraser - more info

OR

Simon Davis - more info

This one will close and be counted on the morning of Thursday 11th  February

What the hell is all this? Find out more about the Art Droid Tourneys and Quarter Finals[/s] semi finals - I've not updated this - cos we know what we're doing right. There's a tiny bit more about the Semi's here but it's mainly just a post about what's coming after...

Who made the 32 in both tourneys?

Entrants in the Current Art Droids Tourney

Entrants in the Classic Art Droids Tourney

Rules for what they are worth again not updated as we're getting good at this now aren't we.

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up.

broodblik

What another Simon vs Simon round? I will go with Simon

Wait which one ? mmmm, lets go for Simon Davis
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Daveycandlish

Dante us in my top ten list of all time faves and Hershey is the best of the current line up.
Fraser romps home here.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

JayzusB.Christ

An easy choice for me here.  Simon Davis for me is one of the prog's best ever - he's like a man who's never seen comic art before but invented something of his own to do the job, and it's a thing of beauty.

And, at the risk of being chased off this board with flaming torches and pitchforks, I've never been a fan of Simon Fraser.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 February, 2021, 08:06:19 AM
And, at the risk of being chased off this board with flaming torches and pitchforks, I've never been a fan of Simon Fraser.

Do not worry, we evolved it is now bazookas and gunships :)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Bolt-01

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Simon Fraser, for Dante predominantly but also for his beautiful, clear line work and incredible images of technology and architecture.

SBT

Link Prime

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Huey2

Sean SD

AlexF

Toughest choice yet for me, and it's not like the winner here even gets a big prize!
Fraser has consistenly been delightful and weird in his panle layouts and angles, he never skimps on character design or expressions or setting or mood. I love his work so much. Davis on the other hand has produced more than a bit of work that I didn't really like, although mostly in his early days. But when he's on fire it's just amazing, my favourite fully-painted comics artist by a country mile, I think because he's not afraid to embrace the look of classical canvas-based portraiture that is his day job (or is it his night job?).

They've both produced genuine jaw-dropping pages, even in their earlier days - Fraser on Shimura pulle doff some true grotesquery, rivalled by Davis in his work on Stone Island.

I think in the end I'm voting Davis, in part because he has produced SO MUCH work (by my count, he's well over 400 episodes, Fraser on around 220), and within that there's so much variety, from the contemporary horrors of Thistlebone to the savage beauty of Slaine but perhaps more to the point the fantastic comedy of Sinister Dexter, which is still, in my eyes, Davis's strip more than any other artists. Fraser of course has delivered the gamut of moods across 15 years of Dante, but he hasn't had the chance to show off his range of time periods and genres.