Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveycandlish

Anyone know a release date for Grandville;Noel?
I can't wait to read it!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Link Prime

Quote from: Mabs on 27 November, 2013, 10:27:29 AM
I am Link, sadly though there's quite a bit of his work that I've yet to read. For example, his work on Nemesis The Warlock (and some other 2000ad related work) and Alice in Sunderland.

I have read his Grandville books (which I loved!), Dotter of her Father's Eyes and of course, The Tale of One Bad Rat. He is an exceptional talent, and a fine voice in the comic/ graphic novel medium. I can't wait for his next book, Grandville: Noël!

Indeed Mabs.

His stint on Nemesis is one of my standout early childhood comic reading memories.
It's unbelievably good.

Of all his work I must admit I have the highest regard for 'The Adventures of Luther Arkwright' / 'Heart Of Empire'.
If you haven't read 'em yet, then I genuinely envy you.

I'm two Grandville's behind (including 'Noel'), and I hope to get both for Christmas.

Haven't heard when its due for release Davey- will check with my LCS peeps later this evening.

TordelBack

Talbot is an absolute marvel, surely one of the greatest writer-artists to ever grace the medium.  For a while it looked like the first Luther was going to be a bit of an only-child, pure genius to be sure, but along with the underground stuff maybe an early flowering that never really went anywhere as its creator knuckled down to draw other people's stuff (brilliantly) in order to make a living.  Then came One Bad Rat , and he was off and running again, until the diversity of his output is like a what-to-read list for modern comics.

I've said it here before, but his collaboration on Dotter of her Father's Eyes literally changed my life.

Mabs

That's nice to hear Tordelback.

As for his other work, I will definitely make note of Luther Arkwright / Heart of the Empire, Link.

Cheers!

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Sideshow Bob

Another hearty recommendation for Bryan Talbots' work....
I must admit though, I struggled a bit with The Luther Arkwright stories for some reason, but absolutely loved The Tale of One Bad Rat and the absolutely Epic ( no other word for it ) Alice in Sunderland...This is a truly marvellous read and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone....

It also goes without saying ( but I will anyway ) that the Grandville series is wonderful..
I was absolutely delighted with the first book, but the second one,  Grandville : Mon Amour is even better, and the artwork is just ridiculously sublime....
Grandville Noel is on my Xmas wish list, along with Dotter of her Father's Eyes............
Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Mardroid

Just finished The Amazing Spiderman: Kraven's Last Hunt.

I didn't have high hope for this... but it actually turned out rather good.  The story itself is quite simple but the way it's told, and the psychological nature is something else. Great stuff.

Previous to that I read part one of Avengers Forever. While the time travel nature of the story was quite interesting, it didn't really do it for me. I think the over describing of caption boxes was a large part of it. It wasn't bad though. It had some interesting ideas.

The way a story is told will often influence how I feel about the story, I find, though. Kraven's Last Hunt was told in a much more interesting way, although it got a bit confusing sometimes. I.e. some things were more to do with a character's state of mind than something to be taken literal, and it wasn't always clear from the colour tone which you were seeing, although it wasn't that difficult to work out. This added complexity actually helped rather than detracted from the story in my mind, but I can see why some people might have a problem with it.

On my Kindle I'm currently reading Brandon Sanderson's The Rithmatist. An interesting read, although it isn't keeping me as spellbound as others of his books.

This maybe should be in the comics thread, but since they're collections I'll include them here. With the recent collection sale on Comixology I picked up the first of a series of, er, series I was considering when the New 52 started out. I didn't get them at the time, but the same was such a good deal I thought, why not.

Anyway, I got 'Dial H' (a very interesting idea, and okay story) 'Resurrection Man' (while sharing certain traits with the predecessor it did rather different things with it) Detective Comics and Justice League Dark. The last two I've yet to read, but I was pleased enough with the first two.

(*these two book were from the Ultimate Marvel Collection by the way. I'm picking up back issues one after the other. Not sure I'll get them all though.)

Mabs

I'm not a big fan of Spiderman, but you're right - Kraven's Last Hunt is really good indeed.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Colin YNWA

Yeah I'm a big fan of Kraven's Last Hunt. I love Spidey but he's always had solid storytellers telling solid superhero stories based around a great character (right up my street then). Last hunt is the closest he's ever got to a 'Born Again' or the like.

Avengers Forever is wonderful stuff but utter indulgent of fans. I enjoy it a lot therefore but completely understand why those not versed in Avengers lore are a bit less impressed by it.

HOO-HAA

The Omega Solution by Peter J. Evans.

Great far-future Durham Red novel. Old-school Black Library paperback. There are four other titles in this series and I'll be picking them all up, for sure, based on the strength of this one.

Theblazeuk

I was a little disappointed by the resurrection of resurrection man, but I enjoyed it more than any of the new-52 that's out at the moment. They have steadily cancelled everything I enjoyed (though possibly I just need to get back into Animal Man) after quite a strong start - I hear All Star Western is getting the axe too :/

Dial H was a breath of fresh air. The stick-figure Bruce Wayne story was touching and brilliant. A bit on the weird side of things but fun and original and really, there's not enough of that in superheroics these days (I'm looking at you Geoff Johns).

pictsy

I am up to prog 1547 in my big 2000 AD re-read marathon.

Mutant issues being dealt with in Dredd.  Something killing Norts off in the 86ers.  Greysuits not particularly good.  Robo-Hunter without Ian Gibson illustrating.  Defoe getting off to a good start.

TordelBack

Sunshine State, James Miller.  A less convincing near-future SF thriller I haven't read in a long while.  I keep checking the publication date because I can't believe it's actually from 2010.  Most annoyingly of all an SFX review-blurb stares out at me from the back cover, assuring me it's a 'J.G. Ballard-inspired nightmare', presumably because there is some flooding involved, because there are no other similarities.  Maybe it will improve drastically in the last 90 pages?  I'll let you know.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 09 December, 2013, 10:50:06 AM
- I hear All Star Western is getting the axe too :/

WHAT!!!! NOOOOO!!!!! WHHHYYYYY!!!!

I thought this would be safe for a while yet as its still well above where the old brilliant Jonah Hex series was. Can I ask where you heard this?

Theblazeuk

On another forum - can't seem to track down any info confirming this. I fear it may be true though... but then there are solicits for up to #28 so could just be all fearmongering.

Mabs

I finished reading Judge Dredd Year One; well what can I say? It was great fun! Much, much better than IDW's other series. Simon Coleby's art was fantastic, I hope we see him back in the prog soon. And Matt Smith's script was really gripping with an excellent set up. Hopefully we'll get to to see more thrilling stories set in Dredd's earlier years from the same team. Great stuff!  :)

My Twitter @nexuswookie