Main Menu

New Rogue Trooper Film!!

Started by Beeks, 15 July, 2018, 06:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beeks

Announced by Duncan Jones on Twitter!!
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Beeks

"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Colin YNWA

Beat me to it. The boards about to go ballistic!

Beeks

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 July, 2018, 06:07:11 PM
Beat me to it. The boards about to go ballistic!

He's been hinting for awhile but must admit that's broadsides me!

So excited..not just for the film but for 2000ad

Bolt-01

Leigh S

Rogue's an interesting one!  I'm not so wedded to the character as Dredd/Stront/Nemesis, so there's wriggle room, and I think there's room to make a film that could actually reboot the character for the better.  That said, I think the main weakness in Rogue was never the set up, including Gunnar/Helm/Bagman, but the way it never contextualised the things that seem a bit GFDy (3 SLOTS - 4 MAN SQUADS!). The otehr problem is it never quite found a way to put Rogue's search into a consistent conflict, where the warring sides and the world felt "solid" - the boundaries of the war, the geography and the stakes.

If Duncan Jones can find a way of not throwing the baby out with the bathwater, we might finally see Rogue live up to the promise that the strip always teased us with.  Visually I think its all there in Gibbons/Kennedy/Wilson/Ewins art, and in the 2000~AD tradition of taking the visual and cultural language (in this case of WAR!) and distorting and ballooning it to insane levels.  I want to see a Nu Earth that is a true hell hole, but perhaps in some ways a beautiful, chem coloured, crazy, over the top experience - not just men in chem suits and a quarry! hopefully they will have the budget to do that element well.

Leigh S

Also, hope GFD, Gibbons and arguably Steve MacManus will see some proper recompense

von Boom

Exciting news and probably a lot easier to market to a US audience.

Colin YNWA

Its very exciting for those that love Rogue and there do seem to be many. It seems like a simple enough concept (once you've sussed how to make the Bio-chips work I guess) and you can easily imagine how it will be visually interesting - just use Colin Wilson's design for vehicles they feel so solid and real as they are.

For me the fundamental problem they'll face, as with the strip, is the led character is so bland. Still there will be smarter people than me involved so I'm sure they'll sort that... by just not making bland being my first guess!

JayzusB.Christ

Really looking forward to this.  Rogue may be a bit lacking in personality but I think he can easily carry a story of there's enough interesting things going on around him (re. Cinnabar and my fawning interview about it on Eamonn's podcast).

Now, body paint or CGI? (Or maybe he won't be blue at all - I really hope he is though.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Leigh S

I think this is another area where Rogue lets itself down, but it doesnt require reimagining, just a bit of thought - the same thought that gave us "Portrait of a Mutant" or "A Question of Judgement".  Rogue is a genetically engineered supersoldier, so he isnt going to have been given much of a soul, but that's the strength - like Dredd, who was brought up to enforce the law implacably.  Rogue was not meant to have feelings, he wasnt meant to go Rogue, he is in many way a child soldier - (just how old is he in real years?  I can't see Millicom waiting 20 years to see if they worked, despite what the tshirts in Millicom memories might suggest!  All kinds of interesting angles that dont ahve to reinvent the character

Angry Vince

Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

JayzusB.Christ

I often wondered how old Rogue was. He can't have been much more than 18 when the Quartz Zone massacre happened.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Greg M.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 July, 2018, 07:37:07 PM
For me the fundamental problem they'll face, as with the strip, is the led character is so bland.

Just play him as a cool, laconic soldier, the grounded straight-man to the three much more extreme bio-chips. I'm not expecting an adaptation of Cinnabar, but that's how you do the bio-chips - Gunnar as the venomous, smart-mouthed bitch, Bagman as the seemingly sensible one who's quietly but profoundly insane, and Helm trying to convince everybody (himself included) that everything's fine and he's got this.

Aside from that, I'm with Leigh S - a surreal, OTT journey into a bizarre future-tech-strewn landscape in which the madness of war is turned up to 11. Plot optional.