Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Quote from: JamesC on 06 February, 2015, 07:57:14 AM
I'm currently playing the DS Version of Chrono Trigger.
I have a bit of a love/hate thing with RPGs and I much prefer the ones that rattle along at a fair pace to ones that require exploration (to a tedious extent) and loads of grinding. So far I'm enjoying it (just arrived in the future) and it's regarded as one of the greats so I'm hoping it continues to be fun.
It's a little clunky in some respects but what can you expect from a remake of a 20 year old SNES game?

Probably my favourite game ever - totally unique atmosphere, great story, and a really memorable and likeable cast (particularly a certain amphibian.) If you're enjoying it so far, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the rest. The only time it gets close to grindy is when you travel to [spoiler]the prehistoric era[/spoiler].

Grugz

finally got GTA 5 bought a preowned 120gb hard drive from game for £24 and have all my games loaded and installed (even dark souls which I still love/hate with a passion but cant get very far)

anyway gta 5 is enjoyable so far I'm liking the switchable characters though I only have two at the moment, just need to find an easily accesable helicopter I can pootle about in.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

strangelysaucy

Quote from: Grugz on 06 February, 2015, 03:34:32 PM
finally got GTA 5 bought a preowned 120gb hard drive from game for £24 and have all my games loaded and installed (even dark souls which I still love/hate with a passion but cant get very far)

anyway gta 5 is enjoyable so far I'm liking the switchable characters though I only have two at the moment, just need to find an easily accesable helicopter I can pootle about in.

Brilliant game! wait til you get Trevor - he's a pilot AND a total maniac! ha! my fave character of them all in that game.
props, scribbles and fiddle-aboutery - https://www.facebook.com/Strangelysaucy

Greg M.

GTA V gets a massive shot in the arm once Trevor arrives - up to that point, it's enjoyable enough, but he's such a wonderful, monstrous, over-the-top creation that he pretty much brings the game to life.

I still hate the flying missions though.

CheechFU

Quote from: Grugz on 06 February, 2015, 03:34:32 PM
120gb
You must reach for the stars and then reach beyond!

One of the things that drove me away from consoles was the comically small hard drives, I can't function with less than 3TB anymore  :(

I've been playing besiege, not as well as this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMUub60Nf5o

Grugz

got trevor! he is insane ! more so now he has a massive beard and mullet to go with his stained t-shirt like a crack addict si Robertson!
    I also got attacked by a cougar (the big cat toothy kind) ,is there a lot of wildlife trying to eat you?
I hate the planes in the game mainly cos I am rubbish at landing .
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

radiator

The cougars were one of the only things that bothered me in GTA V. We have them here in Oregon and as far as I know they're extremely timid and only really a threat to pets and children, so it annoyed me how ludicrously overpowered they are in the game.

It kinda added unnecessary tension when you were just out 'hiking' or hunting in the wilderness knowing that one could turn up out of nowhere and insta-kill you - which is doubly ridiculous given that you can withstand multiple car crashes and gunshot wounds.

As far as I can remember they're thankfully the only dangerous land-based wildlife in the game.

I've all but given up on Trials Frontier now. I'm not entirely opposed to free-to-play games - developers have to make a living after all - but I also think that once you've payed around what the game should be 'worth'  - ie the equivalent of what you'd pay for it on Steam or Xbox Live (in this case around $10-20) I think that should pretty much bring down all the barriers to content, but the miserly pace that the game distributes upgrades means that I'd have to grind for literally weeks to advance much more.

Seems ftp in most games settles for the model that 99% of people will just play for free until they're bored and rely on the obsessive 1% who will keep ploughing money in to make a profit.

Been on a retro binge lately - quite into Yoshi's Island (SNES) at the mo. I'd always disregarded it in the past as I considered it quite garish and ugly-looking (how wrong I was) and thought that it added a bit too much complexity to the core Mario mechanics to be fun. Playing it now though I'm loving the personality, diversity and creativity of the game, and the sprawling levels and lack of a time limit give it a focus on exploration. Wonderful little game - a underrated gem in the Mario pantheon that deserves to be played more, and it's tough enough to present a real challenge to even seasoned Mario players.

Also dabbling in some of the Megaman X and Megaman Zero games. Have a love/hate thing with this series. I enjoy everything about the mechanics and visuals, and desperately want to love them, but while I appreciate a challenging game, do they have to be so spitefully hard? I seem to just go from one game in the series to the next, loving every minute until I just get hopelessly stuck on some insanely tough level and/or boss. Such a cruel mistress, wish they were just that little bit easier.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: radiator on 07 February, 2015, 09:36:42 PM
The cougars were one of the only things that bothered me in GTA V...

I know exactly what you mean, sexy middle-aged women can't get enough of me either.
You may quote me on that.

radiator

CheechFU

the cougars in red dead were more dangerous as they disguised themselves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVVXyKP1FVk

Keef Monkey

Finished Far Cry 4 over the weekend, thought the story was surprisingly good and well written. The fact you get a load of opportunities to switch allegiances and choose sides but that I never felt 100% certain I was doing the right thing was smart, and I only realized for sure which way to go once I'd already set myself on the opposite path with no turning back and just had to continue on helpless, story did a great job of that. Surprising because the one thing that let 3 down massively was the story and writing, this was a big step up in those departments I thought. Only big let-down here was the radio, they've clearly had the notion at some point to put more effort into that side by having a radio personality and trigger mission/event-specific monologues and stuff, but they've underestimated just how much DJ content is required for a game that length, so repeats constantly. They also don't seem to be flagging what has and hasn't played as some segments will repeat back to back.

Shame, but not a deal-breaker by any means, just a bit irksome. The open world fun is pretty amazing here, and spent a good few hours with a friend in my game wingsuiting around and getting up to shenanigans. Lot of laughs were had, great game.

Just starting Dragon Age: Inquisition so I imagine that'll consume a few months at least.

Grugz

just traded my dragon age in , couldn't get in to it at all.

but back to a gta 5 vibe ,I love the way when you switch between characters you interrupt them in some aspect of their normal life....again trevor,awesome all his switches have been entertaining and ...varied from passed out in an alley to chasing someone down the storm drains to riding a scooter down the freeway with two fellas singing !

shaolin_monkey

I've been working my way through Dying Light.  Now I've levelled up a bit, and gotten used to the first person parkour type stuff, I'm dyling less and enjoying it a whole lot more.

That you can run anywhere in this massive open area is just superb.  It's almost as if Dead Island was just a beta test, as this takes many ideas used in it, but massively improves upon them.  The talent tree is immensely satisfying, and there's a ton of stuff you can choose that suits your style of gameplay (mine is running away, fast).

The story is quite good, but I've had a hell of a lot of fun doing side-missions and just exploring.  there's all kinds of crazy stuff hidden in this world!

I can see this game lasting me for weeks and weeks.

Old Tankie

Easily beaten by my five year old grandson whilst playing Forza Horizon 2!!  Still, it's not all bad news, I did manage to beat my three year old grand daughter (playing FH2, but only just!!)!!

Recrewt

Bit of an old one this but I have just finished Dead Space 2 on the PS3.  I do like my survival horror, especially when it is spaced based.  A couple of points that have struck with me-

1.  what the hell happenned at the end there?  I mean you are suddenly on some big rock shooting at your ex and then the game kind of ends.  Its up there with one of the most confusing/disappointing ends to a game I have ever played.

2. how annoying is that one creature that keeps getting back up? - unless I have done this wrong, you don't even get to finish him off in the end - aaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhh! I have only spent the entire game collecting weapons and tuning them up to have to resort to running away.