Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

oh just got this hardback.... nice!
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Its the third and final one so looks perfect on the Huff shelf  :D
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

War Stories is coming back as an ongoing from Avatar Press (hope it doesn't become a splatter fest but trust Garth to keep the tone of his other WWII work) as an ongoing monthly.

This can only be good news!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/17/garth-ennis-war-stories-moves-from-dc-comics-to-avatar-press/

Frank

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 17 July, 2014, 08:31:44 PM
War Stories is coming back as an ongoing from Avatar Press (hope it doesn't become a splatter fest but trust Garth to keep the tone of his other WWII work) as an ongoing monthly.

He's not even going to comedy rape Hitler just a little bit?

Colin YNWA

So anyway reading a bit of Ennis this morning and got me thinking (well an ad in the comic I read did) - I've never read 'Just A Pilgrim'.

Now if I wasn't a lazy chuff I could just do a bit of a search, or even read through this thread to canvas opinion - but I am a lazy chuff so I'd rather just ask here. Any good? I love Garth Ennis' various War Stories with the exception of his more comedic (well its meant to be) 'Adventures in the Rifle Brigade' which I thought was pretty bloody awful. For some reason I got it in my head that its more of that side of Ennis' writing - is it. Am I just wrong again?

Frank

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 21 July, 2014, 04:04:33 PM
I've never read 'Just A Pilgrim' ... Any good? I love Garth Ennis' various War Stories with the exception of his more comedic (well its meant to be) 'Adventures in the Rifle Brigade' which I thought was pretty bloody awful. For some reason I got it in my head that its more of that side of Ennis' writing - is it. Am I just wrong again?

Comedy rape ([spoiler]and fatal pregnancy[/spoiler]) of an obnoxious hero character aside, not really. The biggest crtiticism I'd level at it is that early issues feel the same way as Gone To Texas, in that Ennis is concentrating on cramming in a lot of unnecessarily convoluted background detail instead of letting the story tell itself. As the older Ennis realised with Rover Red Charlie, everybody on Earth is already familiar enough with the tropes of Apocalyptic fiction to let someone working in that genre jump in with both feet and start straight in on subverting those cliches or creating memorable characters.

If you've read Ennis and Ezquerra's Bloody Mary, it's a bit like that spliced with the DNA of Bad Company, The Moses Incident, and Helltrekkers (the good bits and the bad). No, wait - it's actually more like Wilderlands crossed with The Hotdog Run. Basically, if Just A Pilgrim had ran in 2000ad, it would have fitted right in and been Ennis's best remembered and regarded original work for Tharg. At that time, Ennis appeared to be using his fame to allow him to write the 2000ad and Commando comic stories he wished he was writing, but to get paid US page rates for doing so. Flying pirates. Bloody buggering flying pirates.

Colin YNWA

Hawkmumbler

Question! Where do you Battlefield issues reside within the man cave, Colin? Next to the Battle Picture Weekly material or the other US Ennis material? I find it's a funny collection and they can go either which way.

Colin YNWA

To be honest they should be the former but are actually in the later. I keep them all together though cos lets face it it really was what Sauchie was saying, regardless what title they were under it was Garth Ennis writing his Battle stories. The sort of developed stories we might have had there had it survived not 2000ad.

In some pleasant dream world Mr Ennis bite the bullet and Garth Ennis' Battle is a weekly UK comic that has grown to rival 2000ad in our affections.

I might well move them...

Bad City Blue

I do enjoy re reading the Just A Pilgrim stories. They are dumb Ennis fun, and Ezquerra is superb, as usual. The second book has a deeper story, the first is more fun.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Hawkmumbler

Heeerm...thinking about it. My collection is very Ennis lite....maybe next pay day i'll get the first Battlefield collection and his run on Dan Dare.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 25 July, 2014, 08:03:49 PMhis run on Dan Dare.

An absolute must. It's a classic Ennis war story with a space fleet that look like battleships, staunch sergeants, brave marines, cowardly officers, the lot. Plus Digby and the Mekon. And stunning Gary Erskine art.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Dandontdare on 25 July, 2014, 10:11:48 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 25 July, 2014, 08:03:49 PMhis run on Dan Dare.

An absolute must. It's a classic Ennis war story with a space fleet that look like battleships, staunch sergeants, brave marines, cowardly officers, the lot. Plus Digby and the Mekon. And stunning Gary Erskine art.

Seconded.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Proudhuff

and he's back, a cornfed newbie is the focus of this one:

It appearing to be a trial at a regular issue too: Garth Ennis' War Stories find a new home at Avatar with the launch of this ongoing monthly!   Pulling tales from real conflicts throughout modern history, this series is where a master storyteller brings the horrors of war to life in comics.
DDT did a job on me

Hawkmumbler

I'm just about to tuck in to this. Very exciting.