Main Menu

Numbercruncher

Started by pauljholden, 18 February, 2013, 09:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljholden

Hey gang, Numbercruncher is coming...!

I'm sure most of you know this already, but numbercruncher is being collected as a four issue miniseries by Titan Comics - it features new colouring (on the real world scenes only - the after life will remain greywashed!) as well as a bunch of new pages and some dialogue tweaks, as is a writers wont.

I've seen some of the colours and it looks gorgeous (here's a secret: we wanted the real world stuff in colour, but couldn't do it for the meg - this is how she was meant to look...)

Here's a review if you haven't read it :

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=user_review&id=5692

-pj

Goaty

Quote from: pauljholden on 18 February, 2013, 09:07:52 PM
it features new colouring (on the real world scenes only - the after life will remain greywashed!)

That would be great helpful! Cheerios!

And good luck!

JOE SOAP

You're worse than Peter Jackson and Goerge Lucas. I suppose you think I'm going to give in, don't you?

You'd be right.

Colin YNWA

Out of interest  do you know if they'll then be collecting it in trade?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 18 February, 2013, 09:09:57 PM

You're worse than Peter Jackson and Goerge Lucas. I suppose you think I'm going to give in, don't you?

You'd be right.
:-\
Excpet I know we all are, because Numbercruncher was just plain great. :lol:

Link Prime

Very nice review over on CBR this evening.

pauljholden

TordelBack

Hah, nice one.  Well done those droids!

Montynero

In case you don't know, this is the last week to pre order Numbercruncher from the old comic shops. Check out the details and lovely new coloured artwork here "the best work
of Holden's career": http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=456e8bdb53b1723fb004954ef&id=e47b2a9f0f&e=a161ece86c

pauljholden

OUT ON WEDNESDAY!

Get yourself to a comic shop! The reviews have been very very flattering, but, let's face it - we all know another cool project that was a critical success but people didn't go and see*.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/26177.html
Spurrier's wit and comedic sense of timing are self-evident in Numbercruncher and fans familiar with his work in 2000AD, Judge Dredd Megazine, or X-Club will appreciate it here all the more.  What is truly remarkable, however, about Numbercruncher is the artwork by Holden.  As only certain panels are colored by Bellaire, audiences can witness and experience Holden's sharp, emotive line art the way it was originally presented.  The colors act as supplements to augment Holden's lines and resonate within the narrative.

http://speakgeekytome.com/2013/07/numbercruncher-1-indie-review/
Numbercruncher is a surprisingly amazing read, that I wasn't expecting to enjoy nearly as much as I did. Even if you've read the original, it is worth taking a look at this new Titan release of the series.

http://www.thegeekgirlproject.com/2013/07/13/the-universe-by-number-in-si-spurriers-numbercruncher/
A highly engaging story, this issue is marked as #1 of 4. Truthfully, after years of a love/hate affair with mathematics, I never imagined I could enjoy a comic with such a numeric theme. With an engaging story, strong characters, and visually stunning art concepts, I certainly hope to see this series continue past the four issue mark.
(er... its unlikely to continue past the four issue mark as it's a four issue limited series.. but anyways...)

http://comicattack.net/2013/07/13/titannumbercruncher1/
If you want a story that is about love and death and trying to live a life worth living, this would be a great series to check out. You can join me in waiting for the next issue, and hope that we get more of this world once this four parter is over. Can't wait for more of this, and this is a stellar first issue for a wonderfully strange series exploring the boredom of death.

-pj
*Come on, you're on the 2000ad message board, you know what film I'm talking about ... *sniff*

Link Prime

Have picked up a copy of issue 1 PJ, looks the business!
Will be getting this signed by you, Si and Jordie at DICE next month.

Colin YNWA

Here we see the problem with my bloody 2 year long reading list (and not getting the Meg, though via the wonders of Digital that's about to change) anyway. I've just read this. Now you all read this years ago in the Megazine. But I only get the stories there in in trade (well did see above) and I decided to trade wait this one, even when it was picked up by Titan and run as a 4 issue mini.

Now as luck would have it almost two years ago, at Thought Bubble 2013 Si Spurrier had picked up his copies of the hardcover just prior to attending. I always like to pester the wonderous Mr Spurrier (I'm serious considering shifting my man crush from John Smith to Si Spurrier at this point, loving them both with a equal burning passion just seems too complex) when we're at cons... well I have twice anyway, after all he needs to be reminded that we need more Lobster Random at yearly intervals doesn't he now.

After he struggled to unbind these early copies, I purchased one and got him to sign it. Being the lovely man he is he did, apologised about the lack of more LR, I no doubt made him feel a little uncomfortable with my thrusting, gushing praise and I pottered on, at that point fighting back the urge to scream I love you at him, feeling to do so would be disloyal to Mr J Smith. Since that day, almost two years ago, that volume has sat patiently (seems fitting) in my nerd cave. Until that is tonight. My wife, oblivious to my unrequited flirtation, nah deep passions with the writer ex of these pastures, was working late, so I took the chance to further my affair with Spurrioso and embraced this glorious book.

By the Gods above

Why have I wasted 2 years of my life with not having read this most fantastic of tooms, this most fantastic tale, this most beautiful book. 2 years I could have known this story and I'll never get them back.

Don't make the same mistake as me. If, though I'm sure most of you have, but if, you haven't read this fable stop wasting your life and do so now. This moment... or at least, as soon as you can reasonably and legally get hold of a copy. Waste your life no more and embrace Numbercruncher. Its genius.

With apologise to Mr Holden whose work is devine here and apologise to Mr Spurrier for not only ignoring your fine work for so long, but also the inevitable stalking or similar that my man crush on you will doubtless led to. I will never ignore your works again, or rather let them dewell undevoured in my all consuming reading list. If you work together again I will give what ever you spawn a pass to the top of my pile.

I salute you sires, in a none amorious, perfectly masculine way...

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.